Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

23 hours ago, multiclunk said:

Sorry, not watched any of Sneaky Pete yet, but it is on my list. I have heard that it's quite good from a couple of people at work.

17 hours ago, Stejay said:

Cheers. I keep meaning to try Outlander and The Man In The High Castle too.

I enjoyed both Sneaky Pete and The Man In The High Castle.

• Upvote 1

Popstar Never Stop Never Stopping went up. I've heard a lot of people praise that.

Also Hardcore Henry, which splits opinion, but maybe an interesting experiment.

Full Metal Jacket. But everyone has seen that already. Right?

Disappointing Jack Reacher sequel and 3 Brendan Fraser Mummy movies of diminishing returns.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Also Hardcore Henry, which splits opinion, but maybe an interesting experiment.

I thought it was really good fun, and Sharlto was on top form in his various insane roles.

• Upvote 1

I watched "The Confession Tapes", or at least a few episodes over the weekend.  It's interesting but not as compelling as something like Evil Genius.  That said, the first case mentioned has an utterly bonkers method used by the police that I was struggling to actually believe was a thing.  More so because it was Canadian police using something that America had deemed too dodgy to use;

It's called the "Mr Big" method, where you have a suspect but not enough evidence so you try and get a confession out of them via undercover officers befriending them.  The thing is though, the cops basically pretend to be part of a criminal gang and slowly draw the suspect into it.  In the example in the show, they tail one of 2 suspects in a murder case who have a pretty good alibi and no forensic evidence against them, but they're literally the only suspects that they've got.  They get a cop to bump into him and ask him for a lift, giving him a load of cash as a "reward" and then offering to take him drinking.  Its there when they suggest that they're into shady business and start offering him small jobs for some cash and attempt to bring them in to their "gang", who are obviously all cops.  The attempt to get the confession comes when they have gained their trust enough to then introduce them to the "Mr Big" of the crime gang, with the idea that Mr Big has heard that he's connected to the crime they've been accused of and has heard that there is something new thats come up (because Mr Big has people in the police who tell him this stuff).  He'll then offer to use his contacts to get rid or tamper with this supposed new "evidence" but "needs to know his side of the story and what happened".  The idea is obviously that the suspect will (if guilty) panic and tell Mr Big what he did and they have their confession.

The problem with this was that the kid confessed, but it was pretty obvious that he was just going along with what they wanted to hear.  He "confessed" but in a way that contradicted actual evidence, and was obviously being put under pressure by the Mr Big persona, in a situation where other "gang members" had spent time making it sound like if people had messed with them, bad stuff had happened to them.  If anything, if he believed that situation to be real it made more sense to confess than to keep denying it - he had nothing to lose, they made it clear they were ok with if he had and if anything it would have made the gang members respect him more. Yet, despite it not matching the evidence that pointed to him not being there, and the confession even sounding like he was making up what might have happened as he went along, the jury convicted the pair based on it.

Honestly, watching some of the tapes of the undercover sessions, it's incredible this was considered an actual, ethical technique to get confessions.

I watched the first of the Chinese Odyssey films the other day, which appeared in this batch of martial art films. It was pretty dreadful but starred Stephen Chow, of Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer fame, so if you liked their style of humour then maybe there's something there for you.

But I was wondering whether anything else in that bunch was worth viewing, so cheers for the recommendations, @George Clooney, I'll give those a watch.

I've just started watching Kath & Kim from episode one as I've only ever seen the shows in bits and bobs...flipping heck there are some great lines in there from the get go. Proper laugh out loud funnies.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

Thanks for that. I’d noticed several such movies gone up but I hadn’t a clue what was worthwhile. 

21 hours ago, revlob said:

I watched the first of the Chinese Odyssey films the other day, which appeared in this batch of martial art films. It was pretty dreadful but starred Stephen Chow, of Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer fame, so if you liked their style of humour then maybe there's something there for you.

But I was wondering whether anything else in that bunch was worth viewing, so cheers for the recommendations, @George Clooney, I'll give those a watch.

Yea it can definitely be a bit daunting to know what to spend your time on as there’s so many even from someone mainstream like Jackie Chan in the martial arts section.  The Shaw Brothers films in particular have loads of movies, and sometimes the titles don’t exactly scream quality.  For example, my two fave Shaw Bros films are ones called Dirty Ho and My Young Auntie. But the titles make the first sound more like a blaxploitation film, and the second like an 80s sitcom.

Ive been thinking about doing a proper post recommending martial arts films, splitting it into categories like Jackie Chan, the new wave of stars, the current “legends” like Donnie Yen and Jet Li, and older classics.  Probably take a while to write up so I depends when I’ve got time, if I do it.

• Upvote 4

Don't know about the other SB titles but 36th Chamber sadly doesn't have any audio options so you're stuck with the terrible dub. I know Kung-fu dubs have a certain charm (and listening out for Wu-Tang samples is a fun bonus game) but it would be nice to have the option of hearing the original voices.

On 01/09/2018 at 17:03, JohnC said:

Popstar Never Stop Never Stopping went up. I've heard a lot of people praise that.

Going to watch this later, it looks like a film taking the same cast from the amazing "Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentine's Day Special"

On 05/09/2018 at 00:09, Camel said:

Don't know about the other SB titles but 36th Chamber sadly doesn't have any audio options so you're stuck with the terrible dub. I know Kung-fu dubs have a certain charm (and listening out for Wu-Tang samples is a fun bonus game) but it would be nice to have the option of hearing the original voices.

A lot of those films are like Italian films of the same era - dubbed even in the 'original' language.

I've seen 36th Chamber on the big screen in Mandarin and don't recall it being off as you would with a dub.

Would still be better than an English dub either way.

I was amazed I made it to the end, I knew so many of the characters from SNL but the music and the nonsense was almost too convincing and I thought it would just wear me out, I think the dig at U2 for streaming the new album into home appliances was my favourite, oh and his perfect reaction to the review in The Onion

Killing Gunther.

It's ace.  Dunno what's up with the miserable bastards that reviewed it so poorly.  Good old fashioned trashy B-movie fun, that's not pretending to be anything else.

• Upvote 1