Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

2 minutes ago, Goose said:

I posted the trailer when that debuted but I've not seen the movie.

Ok. 

Its pretty alright. Jared Leto is a silent protagonist but the main draw is the Yakuza environment, people cutting off fingers and men in black suits and so on. The film suffers from the whole westerner goes to asia and absorbs their culture trope, but if you can see past that then its ok. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/21/2018 at 10:09, Silent Runner said:

I watched the first two episodes of Wild, Wild Country. It's very interesting all right but like a lot of Netflix stuff it has a lot of padding. The first episode could have been 10 minutes long. Big fan of Sheela. 

I'm watching this at the moment, it's fascinating!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

We watched The Circle last night. It was amateurish. 

Is this the film based on the book? I didn't realise it had come out but the book was rubbish so I'm not surprised.

"The Defiant Ones" follows the converging paths of Dr Dre and producer Jimmy Iovine

I don't particularly know why I started watching this. I have no interest at all in rap music, and had never heard of Jimmy Iovine... But it's absolutely fabulous stuff. Genuinely interesting stories that are really well told. Loads of short interviews with music legends that they crossed paths with, and simply brilliant editing. 

Best thing I've watched in ages. You should stop what you're doing and watch this. Highly recommended

• Upvote 3

Kill Command - Near future marines vs robots on a supposed training mission on a non-specific island.

I expected it to be terrible and it was. But I did watch it all the way through without being distracted by a second screen so there must be something to it. It isn't as good as that last stand film where they try to re-create Zulu but with aliens (wish I could remember what it was called), but it is marginally better than a straight to Syfy film.

Having thought about it some more, I wouldn't recommend it.

I really didn’t like Game Over, man.  I just didn’t find much funny about it. 

I did quite like annihilation, worth a watch and some nice visuals but don’t scratch the surface too much.

On 25/03/2018 at 19:57, Wizcat said:

"The Defiant Ones" follows the converging paths of Dr Dre and producer Jimmy Iovine

I don't particularly know why I started watching this. I have no interest at all in rap music, and had never heard of Jimmy Iovine... But it's absolutely fabulous stuff. Genuinely interesting stories that are really well told. Loads of short interviews with music legends that they crossed paths with, and simply brilliant editing. 

Best thing I've watched in ages. You should stop what you're doing and watch this. Highly recommended

Second this. Just got the last episode to watch and enjoyed every one so far. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/03/2018 at 09:17, DirkCrisis said:

Kill Command - Near future marines vs robots on a supposed training mission on a non-specific island.

I expected it to be terrible and it was. But I did watch it all the way through without being distracted by a second screen so there must be something to it. It isn't as good as that last stand film where they try to re-create Zulu but with aliens (wish I could remember what it was called), but it is marginally better than a straight to Syfy film.

Having thought about it some more, I wouldn't recommend it.

That sounds ace.  Like all those superb 80s and 90s VHS has-beens a la Robot Jox and Arena.

Edit down the rabbit hole I go - looking Arena up on IMDB has brought tons of memories flooding back.  So many great films from that era - Eliminators, Trancers, The Exterminator... :wub:

The problem with today's straight to video (or streaming) releases is that there aren't action stars like Wings Hauser or C Thomas Howell to fill those roles. Vin Diesel might have been that guy at one point but he's too big now. 

I think that is why, whilst Syfy and similar companies are quite proficient at churning out 90 minutes' worth of competent entertainment, they lack a partially recognisable front man/woman. This generation doesn't really have a Gary Daniels or Cynthia Rothrock. 

Actually, I suppose there's Amy Johnson. But other than that. Not sure.

On 25/03/2018 at 18:08, Minion said:

Is this the film based on the book? I didn't realise it had come out but the book was rubbish so I'm not surprised.

I believe it is. I love Eggars ' Pirate Supplies shop but I guess screenplays are a different beast. 

On 25/03/2018 at 19:57, Wizcat said:

On 27/03/2018 at 08:09, cassidy said:

Second this. Just got the last episode to watch and enjoyed every one so far. 

On 28/03/2018 at 08:45, curium said:

The Defiant Ones.

Really enjoyed it. A story well told.

What a fantastic taking head documentary. I already knew Dre's story but personally had never heard of James Iovine. Really good, warts and all story telling.

Finished Money Heist (still a terrible title) this afternoon. It was pretty good fun but totally ridiculous. And so convoluted it made the likes of 24 or Prison Break look basic. Second season is up in a week. 

I watched Ravenous the other day - a low budget French zombie film that seemed to be directed by different people as it was really disjointed and full of ideas that were never concluded or explained. It was OK in parts but it really was hit and miss.

Both The Hitman's Bodyguard and Valerian have been added to Netflix today. They're both decent, but not amazing. 

I enjoyed the Hitman's Bodyguard but then again if Ryan Reynolds is in something it's difficult to disappoint me. Has some tunes on the soundtrack too if I recall correctly 

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is on netflix already, it only came out on bluray a little while ago.

i loved it :D  big colourful fun.

• Upvote 2

Almost Royal seasons 1 & 2.

Comedy faux documentary where Ed Gamble and Amy Hogartt pretend to be 50th & 51st in line to the throne and travel the US as it was the final wish of their father. 

Cue many misunderstandings and cultural pisstaking.

I got around to watching Okja at the weekend - what an amazing film! Tonally it’s completely all over the place, but really gets its hooks into you. Loved it.

• Upvote 2

A double whammy of Nightcrawler and Prisoners this weekend has left me just about ready to slit my wrists. Which I think is a recommendation if you like performance heavy, thought provoking, noir thrillers.  Top Easter viewing.

• Upvote 2

Jesus, both great but you need to go watch something heartwarming and uplifting quickly (also, have a shower) 

Try Sing Street or Hunt for the Wilderpeople and report back, let us know you’re OK. 

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Jesus, both great but you need to go watch something heartwarming and uplifting quickly (also, have a shower) 

Try Sing Street or Hunt for the Wilderpeople and report back, let us know you’re OK. 

Anyone who hasn't seen this yet is missing out on an absolute gem of a film. I watched it on my own on a Friday night, then watched it again on the Saturday and made my wife join in (she loved it). It's wonderful and genuinely laugh out loud funny in places. One of the best movies I've seen on Netflix.

• Upvote 6