jon_cybernet

American Horror Story

american_horror_story.jpg

Of all the new shows that have appeared in the US over the last few weeks, I think American Horror Story has the potential to be one of the most talked about. Created by Brad Falchuk and Ryan Murphy (The creative team behind Glee and Nip/Tuck), it's just started it's first 13 episode season.

Essentially a sexy soapy, ongoing series featuring a dysfunctional family and their experiences in a haunted house, it's an attempt to marry Amityville Horror with mild Red Shoes Diaries sex, and as you'd expect from the creators, it's very slick looking, albeit not very scary. Or very sexy.

The one area it does succeed in though is in creating an interesting mythology. Since the end of Lost, there hasn't really been a decent mythology series, where every episode throws up more questions than it answers, and judging by the first episode, there are going to be loads of intriguing hooks in this show. Almost every scene in the pilot had a healthy 'WTF?' factor, and if they can keep up the pace, and keep throwing up curveballs, the show may become compelling through sheer brute force.

I think it works on the same level as an airport novel - objectively rubbish, but with so much plot crammed onto each page, you can't but help be swept along. I find myself still thinking about the first episode even a few days after I watched it, and though I hate myself for it, I DO want to know how some of these story lines are going to play out.

I also think that the Rubber Man is going to be a very popular halloween costume this year.

Anyone else given it a go?

I'd not even heard of it! Certainly willing to give it a go, although you're comment about it not being very scary or sexy kind of sours the whole premise a bit :P

The first 20 minutes or so were decent, then it just descended into clichés and began throwing odd things in just to try and keep your attention. I hated the dad, hated the daughter, hated the 'troubled' kid and once the housekeeper met the dad I couldn't help but laugh. It seemed like the writers weren't confident in their ideas and just threw everything they could at you in the first episode, everything happened much too quickly. The only thing I was interested in by the end was Jessica Lange's character. Did she lift something off the sideboard when she was first introduced?

• Upvote 1

This is pretty poor. 'Oooh, aren't mongols, gingers and freaks really scarey?' No, no they aren't, they're just weird.

Why didn't the woman wake up when her husband poured gasoline all over her and the room? Why did the bully go to the house? Why did I watch this show?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

This is pretty poor. 'Oooh, aren't mongols, gingers and freaks really scarey?' No, no they aren't, they're just weird.

Why didn't the woman wake up when her husband poured gasoline all over her and the room? Why did the bully go to the house? Why did I watch this show?

Because she thought the girl she was bullying was going to give her some free drugs.

I thought the switch from "I can't forgive you for fucking another woman" to "come 'ere rubber boy, you kinky fuck, let's have round 2" was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

I thought the switch from "I can't forgive you for fucking another woman" to "come 'ere rubber boy, you kinky fuck, let's have round 2" was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

Yeah I thought that as well. Especially considering it was someone else's gimp suit. Mind whilst she was getting it on with gimp suit, I bet he was getting it on with Jessica Langeghost.

"Don't make me kill you, again!".

Dun-dun-der.

There's something pretty cool in here, underneath the trashy exterior. My theory: it's basically House (the eighties horror, not the medical drama) and other than the family, everyone we've seen in the house is a spirit. I even have my doubts about the realtor, but we'll see. Scarface is an exception, I think.

• Upvote 2

There's something pretty cool in here, underneath the trashy exterior. My theory: it's basically House (the eighties horror, not the medical drama) and other than the family, everyone we've seen in the house is a spirit. I even have my doubts about the realtor, but we'll see. Scarface is an exception, I think.

I agree although I think Scarface is dead as well. They all appear to be from different time periods of people owning the house, and his looked to be about 1960's.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. It does jump about all over the place and the time scale seems properly fucked up - just how did she get pregnant so quickly? But generally, I quite enjoyed the odd tone of it and I thought Jessica Lange was good and the young maid was quite delicious.

just how did she get pregnant so quickly?

Yeah, that threw me too. It looks like they have sex 'for the first time in a year', and the very next day she announces she's pregnant.

Oh shit, there's another episode of this gloriously demented trash already? Marvellous.

Nope, still just the pilot (the original pilot) and then the shorter pilot. Next episode airs this week sometime.

Really? I thought it was much more straight forward than the first episode. Yes, it had it's odd moments, but the disjointed nature of the first episode was quite heavily pulled back in this one. Still interested to see where it goes though.

One thing though, didn't it say in the pilot that it had been six months since his affair? Yet she was just telling him now she was pregnant - his student, that is? The timeline in this is all fucked up.

They'd certainly knocked all the subliminal shots on the head as far as I could tell. No Rubber Man either. I thought it was much more conventional this week, and sort of more watchable, but less interesting as a result.

Needs to be all Rubber Man, all the time.

I was very surprised that the last line of the episode made such utter and obvious sense.

Not sure where they go with this as a series though, apart from having them all become friends - people just wouldn't hang around long enough to be continually terrorised. They should all become friends.

I think I love this show.

*BANG* shovel to the face, dig a grave, bury the body, build a wooden thing and then a nice drink with the wife - like a boss.

I like the structure of the show now and the complete OTT nature of it. Great stuff.

I think I love this show.

*BANG* shovel to the face, dig a grave, bury the body, build a wooden thing and then a nice drink with the wife - like a boss.

I like the structure of the show now and the complete OTT nature of it. Great stuff.

Yeah, that was nice, but not as nice as the maid scrubbing the floor :eyebrows:

I too, am enjoying this and so is the wife, but she like Criminal Minds so that's hardly a recommendation.