Sign in to follow this  
VN1X

Short Films

Why not have a thread for this stuff?

Soon every home will have a robot helper.

Don't worry.

It's perfectly safe.

Written & Directed by Ruairi Robinson

Starring Max Records from "Where The Wild Things Are".

Cinematography by Macgregor

Music by Ólafur Arnalds, courtesy of Erased Tapes

Funded by Bord Scannán na hÉireann / Irish film Board

Incredible.

Actually the old thread needed updating with some more short films so here are a few more:

Harvie Krumpet - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382734/

The odd biography of a man who has Tourette's Syndrome, chronic bad luck, menial jobs, nudist tendencies, and a book of "fakts" hung around his neck.

Winner of the 2004 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film and directed by Adam Elliott (Mary & Max). This is a darkly comic short film about a very unlucky man. It is wonderfully narrated by Geoffrey Rush and whilst the animation is crude it is full of charm and lovely little details.The film follows entire life from birth to death and despite a lot of misfortune befalling Harvie the film is strangely life affirming. The humour always hits the spot and over the course of the film you really do care for his well being. Reading the synopsis for Mary & Max gives the impression this was a test run for a feature length film as they do share some thematic similarities but this doesn't mean Harvie Krumpet does not stand up on its own.

Skhizein - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235926/

Having been struck by a 150-ton meteorite, Henry has to adapt to living precisely ninety-one centimeters from himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkiPrd-iH6Yhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-h0LT5UOI

What starts out as a rather intriguing and amusing sci-fi short about a man moved 91cm from where he should be (i.e. to pick up an object he must be 91cm away) slowly morphs into something far darker and surprisingly moving. In the early scenes he plays with this new quirk and has to draw chalk outlines of the new positions for all his household items (toilet, TV, bed etc.) or sit outside of his car to drive it. Yet by the end you understand why he is 'slipping' further away and whilst it may seem to simplify a serious issue I believe it does so in a tasteful and provocative way. In fact this story could not be told in any other medium and it shows how well animation can be used to tackle big issues.

Balance - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096880/

The setting is on a floating platform where a group of evenly and carefully placed men live. Each man is aware that the platform is not stable and in order not to fall to their deaths, they maintain a careful balance of weight to prevent the platform from tipping too far and cause them all to fall. This reasonably harmonious understanding is lost when one man pulls up a heavy trunk. In the ensuing struggle, balance is lost in more than one sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91bNp7HJolE

This award winning animated short from 1989 was directed by two German brothers. The parallels between the story and the way Germany had been ripped in two by the cold war is there for all to see but the film demonstrates that message in such a clear concise manner that it packs a powerful punch. The short has no dialogue and each man looks identical to the next save for different numbers they wear on their coats. It is stark, and the animation is often crude, but none of these things matter when the story is so perfectly realised.

Crossbow - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031228/

A kid. His mum and dad. The sex and drugs. And the boy next door who watched the whole thing unravel.

The main reason I wanted to watch this short was because it is directed by David Michôd (his feature film, Animal Kingdom, has been getting a lot of buzz this year). The film is narrated by a man remembering the events that befell his neighbours years earlier. It has a languid pace and the lazy narration only accentuates the deliberate pacing. It was obvious from the title alone that the story was not going to end well for the boy and/or the people around him but the story doesn't necessarily go in the most obvious direction which is pleasing. What makes the film though is the narration, as he recalls the events of the infamous summer the overriding thing he seems to remember most is how much he wanted to have sex with his neighbour's mother. It is dark humour but totally believable too.

Hirsute - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077348/

A young physicist is visited by an arrogant, time-traveling, future version of himself. Shocked to discover his fondness for body-hair removal and boiled eggs, the young physicist vows to change the course of his life.

A neat little short film written, directed, produced and starring A J Bond. The fact he does a decent job at each of the roles is mightily impressive and whilst the actual story is a vague amalgam of other sources it is competently told here with a strong ending.

• Upvote 1

Between Bears -

One of the most beautiful graduation animated shorts I have ever seen. In fact the art direction is so strong it is one of the best looking animated shorts I've seen, period. There isn't much of a traditional story as it is more of a mood piece with a nice but unremarkable circular narrative. The key to the film though, if you haven't guessed already, is the striking minimalist visuals and the accompanying music. I think Eran Hilleli will be one to keep an eye on.

Stasis - http://www.stasisthemovie.com/

In the future, an Ex-Soldier is placed in virtual exercises to cure his Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In the simulations, he sees glimpses of a mysterious girl, presumably someone from his past. When a Stranger appears in his facility offering answers, the Soldier finds himself once again asked to kill, this time for her...

There have been quite a few decent short sci-fi films of late and Stasis is another. It might not do anything particularly original, and it has that cold futuristic look that is becoming somewhat of a cliché, but the director clearly has a keen visual eye and the ending is rather neat. You can always make up your own mind and watch the film (25 mins) yourself.

Collected Works of Aleksandra Korejwo

I think I have mentioned Korejwo's work on the forum before so I may be repeating myself. Korejwo is a Polish animator that works with salt and sand to make her short films. She uses her hands and a large feather to manipulate the material and once a frame is shot it is swept away for the next one. It is a very time consuming process but as the videos below show it creates a striking look.

The Silence Beneath the Bark

Great animation and beautiful art direction with a simple but effective story. Well worth ten minutes of anyone's time.

That will do for now.

• Upvote 1

Something about Between Bears never really grabbed me; I don't know what - but I really liked this little film that Eran Hilleli worked on for a school project. Visually it's all mood and atmosphere, and the storytelling is a simple voiceover, but it somehow does so much within such limitations.

This might not be quite what you have in mind - it's more of an art piece; certainly not a narrative short. Anyway...

Last week I went along to see Vicki Bennett's new exhibition of digital prints. I was there on the preview night so there were a number of her film pieces being shown alongside at the cinema across from the gallery. A lot of her work it cut and paste, appropriated sounds and images from various archives and sources, usually with an odd humour about it, but the newest series of works follows on from this film, which was commissioned a couple of years back by the Great North Run's cultural committee. She takes film footage of the race and liberates it from the usual space on the screen, instead spreading out each frame into a panorama, moving across space and time. It's incredible the extra dimensions and movement which seem to emerge from the change in perspective. I love it.

(Best on full screen)

Got a few new ones and the first short film (and it is really short) is nothing short of amazing. The third has a great twist.

Keloid

They previously did this:

Too Late

• Upvote 1