The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

50 minutes ago, And said:

Are you moving? Everything ok?

yeah everything’s fine, moving from Guildford back to Scotland & indulging in full time remote work.  Side effect means very little but packing & cleaning going on just now.

Well, as long as your happy with that outcome it’s just a temporary blip. Good luck with the move. I’d love to break free of the ‘beautiful’ south but the Mrs job doesn’t allow. 

5 hours ago, And said:

They look awesome. How big is the army going to get? Do they have vehicles?

I'm not sure how many models I have. I initially bought some during a quite period to sell on ebay but I picked up work before I could paint them. Then a client gave me an army box in lieu of payment. That gave me about 20 models, enough to swing the decision when I thought about collected an army. I've bought more since then but I'm not familiar enough with the range to say from memory what I have. And more models have been released that I'll want to add at some point. Maybe I'll aim for 50.

They are things like this which are bigger armored dudes. I'm already working on one and it's proving to be a pain in the ass to paint. No prizes for guessing what color scheme I'm going with.

shasvastii-sphinx-2.png

4 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Does anyone here have any experience of creating water effects for dioramas etc? I’ve got an idea I’d like to try...

Depends on how deep you're thinking of going really. If you're talking about large-scale water areas, then there's really no other option but to use a two-part clear resin. Which can be a little risky if you've never done it before. If you're talking about shallower bits and pieces then I highly recommend buying a bottle of UV resin and a UV torch. The stuff is bloody amazing for doing smaller puddles and streams etc, and will dry in seconds under UV light - in the meantime you'll be able to manipulate it, colour it and generally do cool fun things with the stuff until you shine the light on it.

18 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Ah, see that’s something I hadn’t considered! 

I have a vague notion to do a river crossing scene. Well, a stream at least. So like, the mini would have its feet on stones in shallow water maybe.

Should be doable with the UV resin then. Obv. do some tests before you jump into the main scene ;)

5 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Can you use that to do foam effects etc, or would it be strictly for clear/coloured water? 

Clear and smooth water for this really. Vallejo do a texture paste that you can apply to stuff to get that foamy look though...Well, they used to. I haven’t checked that for a while, but I remember it came in fairly big tubs. It’s basically a texture paste that can be manipulated and dries semi translucent, so can simulate that sort of thing. You can probably get something cheaper in an art shop though.

7 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Cool. I shall do a search. I bet Greenstuff World do something.

Thanks for the tips!

Check it out in GSW, but buy elsewhere...nothing wrong with them, but effectively all they do is rebrand existing stuff in smaller bottles! 

Someone on the local marketplace is selling pots of new Citadel Colour for €2 a pop. €3 for shades, tech, and contrast. He has an extremely plentiful supply apparently, and he's even offering the full set at a huge discount. I can go and check them out in person if I wish, as he's only 20mins away.

Do fakes exist? This seems too good to be true.

Love everyone's work in the thread, you folk all do such a great job and I wish I had the skill to do half as good a job. I've got tonnes of mini boardgames and have always fancied painting but always been scared of ruining the minis due to lack of skill. I'd tried a couple Mice and Mystics minis many years ago and they didn't go great, haven't played it since. Anyways I've recently picked up some equipment to give it another try based on a friend's recommendations, I now have paints (Vallejo game colour multipacks - fantasy figure colours and advanced colour sets - 32 paints total), light grey primer (spray and brush on ones), some rosemary and Co brushes (a 2 and a 0), a mini holder thing from redgrass games, a dry palette, a wet palette (redgrass games v1), some washes (nuln oil and army painter soft tone quickshade ink) and a decent desk lamp. Is there anything else I should really pick up? Brush soap is possibly the main thing I can think of.

I've decided to start with my Marvel United base game as I think the minis should be easier than a lot of smaller ones with finer details such as Bloodborne, Star Wars Imperial Assault or Mansions of Madness. Also its probably cheaper to replace the Marvel United base set if I screw it up...

I've made a start following some of the limited videos available and seem to do an okay job of base coating but when it comes to shading and highlighting I just end up ruining the paint jobs. I actually really enjoy base coating and feel like they look alright as they are (I've done Captain America, Hulk and Red Skull so far) but find it really stressful trying to add in highlighting and shading as I've no idea where to start. I'll probably just focus on base coating them all and aim to learn how to go about the more technical parts when I become more comfortable.

Anyways the reason for my post is to ask if anyone has any good videos or guides they could point me to to learn from scratch how to go about shading and highlighting. I'm probably slightly limited by my collection of paints (32 in total) but have spent a lot to get everything mentioned and don't want to buy much else for a bit.

There are lots of ways to apply lighting to a model, not sure which is the most appropriate for a beginner to learn. My advice would be to focus on the basics and from what I've seen those marvel minis are good practice models. Learn how to apply a smooth even basecoat. Then practice edge highlighting. There's a lot you can achieve with just a basecoat and edge highlight which is why at one point during their lean years it was what gw studio painters used. I think a mistake a lot of painters make, myself included, is to rush to paint the shiny stuff without developing a good foundation. That said I get the impression from youtube that I'm old fashioned in my ways. 

The area you say you struggle with (how and where to highlight) is something I also struggled with, and still do. I also found that I’d get a mini looking great with just a base coat and wash, and then make it look worse at the highlight stage.

Partly it’s the “fault” of the prevailing GW style of painting which I found challenging to emulate when I was starting out (and also still do!), which is basically:

Base Coat

Wash

Re-establish base coat

Highlight

Thinner highlight

Final highlight

The trouble is, doing the above is great in theory until you start wrestling with things like paint thickness and flow, accuracy, and the tiny size of these models. Any one of the above steps can go wrong if you for example, do too thick a base coat, or re-paint areas that are still wet, never mind deciding where to highlight a curved surface or a million folds in a cloak. Edge highlighting is HARD, but also not necessarily what you absolutely have to do.

What I find, and recent GW tutorials seem to have shifted this way, is that using a greater array of tricks and shortcuts is a better way to get to the end goal. For me this is heavy use of contrast paints and dry-brushing, both of which are considered “n00b” techniques but are super effective.

For example, the recent Cursed City GW tutorials use a dry brush over the initial base coat, plus a contrast paint, to essentially give you a “free” highlight. This clues you in to where best to further emphasise raised areas, and I think provides a huge confidence boost as it just looks good immediately and you can then just enjoy “colouring in” all the little details.

Have a look at this video - the initial stages on the cloak are very easy to apply to any miniature.

More generally, dry-brushing a model once base coated and shaded can just visually tell you where to put highlights, even without the pre-shading and contrast method above. You can always “cut in” with the base coat colour if you go too heavy on the dry-brushing.

Finally, if you do over-highlight, as I frequently do (sometimes deliberately nowadays) a final coat of contrast paint can apply a filter which subtly changes the overall hue of the model, whilst also toning down any over exuberant highlights. I thought I’d finished this guy the other week, but someone on Instagram said it had looked better before I’d done the bright edge highlighting. I thought about it and realised I agreed so I applied contrast paint to tone it down again:

38AD31C5-E188-41A6-820A-74EBE0C527DD.thumb.jpeg.a1ca272efedd0beea1dff071c2c2479d.jpeg

78A3844A-78F2-497F-B8EF-14C7B8EAB8E0.thumb.jpeg.843034d82c1e46ecc702f2762ce37478.jpeg

So yeah, once you feel like spending again I’d make my next purchases some contrast paints, and a cheap set of makeup brushes for dry-brushing. Dry-brushing is magic really - if you just get some scenery, like some rocks  or stone ruins or something, paint them grey, apply a wash, then dry brush them light grey or white, you’ll feel like a painting ninja. 

Caveat - of course this is just what has worked for me as a beginner. I’m still working all this stuff out as I go!

Wow, thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'll need to look into the contrast paints and the dry brushing techniques, I did buy a cheaper wider brush for dry brushing a while ago so do have a bunch of other brushes from the first time I tried, sounds like thats the right direction for me to start with and hopefully one day progress to edge highlighting. I'll give that video a watch @Davros sock drawer

I've tried to get decent pics of the models but when i do take them it seems that I notice tonnes of bits I need to fix, I'll show the three I've done, I think theres been an improvement from the first to the third, they were done over the last couple of days. These are pretty much my first so please dont laugh but Id be happy to hear any tips or if there is anything that I'm doing wrong!

First one I did was Cap, definitely not as smooth as I'd have liked, was aiming to go back and do highlights etc when I learn more about them. Not the best pic and can see a few bits I've messed up (next to the avengers symbol for instance).

20210613_234057.thumb.jpg.74e63bc2cdaf6a512e0e797a4e45c5c4.jpg

Second one was Hulk (not best focus) - This is where I tried the highlighting and ended up having to go over it all again as I went a bit overboard. I do think the lack of colours I have doesnt help much for highlights but the wet palette arrived today which should help a little with that.

20210613_234007.thumb.jpg.dc1a5964a4cae679a2ae9b9ff30d865a.jpg

Apologies for the double post (need to work out how to link the pics from elsewhere)

My most recent one tonight was red skull and I'm pretty happy with him and can see improvements albeit small ones!

20210613_234116.thumb.jpg.7a0ee62dc248d13b92ad63aab83fe19e.jpg

*waves hand* Another one here who has completely ruined models with trying to highlight them!

I'm finding contrast paints amazing for remedying this when it happens - when I've used Contrast for the base colour, and then messed up the highlight, using the contrast paint to go back over the rubbish highlighted bits I find I've magically gotten the highlight I was struggling to achieve.

For me it helped to think of contrast as sort of shades - they'll tint the colour underneath providing it's lighter. It's why I wasn't happy with Contrast to start, trying them over Grey Seer wasn't giving me the 'pop' of colour I expected and it all seemed muted. Switched to Wraithbone last week as a general base coat and now I'm starting to see colours matching those in people's videos and photos. Still far from happy with my latest efforts (mostly cos I need to stop and plan colours out before throwing them down) but it's a step forward for me.

I always have to remind myself that in most videos I've seen there's a reason that `tabletop standard` usually stops at the stage of giving it a dry brush after a wash (or even stops at just a wash). Proper highlighting is advanced stuff for all the reasons Davros highlighted.

And Tabletop Standard is very much where I'm aiming for right now!

5 hours ago, mrsnrub said:

We need some Battletech representation up in here. Sorry it's blurry and also sorry if my paint job is bad

IMG_20210613_165537_867.jpg

I'm loving that purple gradient - very nice blend of colours and looks smooth.

Thanks again @Davros sock drawerI think they are okay given they are my starter models, not a patch on the talent in the thread but gotta start somewhere!

Awesome @Spatial I'll be watching some contrast paint videos in bed, I'll definitely pick some up come pay day, they sound great from what you've both said.

Tabletop standard is all I need so that's the aim for now. I'm sure one day I'll become more picky but as it stands just happy to get them looking semi decent from a few feet away and once I get through the base game models I can decide whether I'm confident enough to start on kickstarter extras that would be harder to replace if I mess them up. They look better than blue or red models that they were originally so that's a start!

On 13/06/2021 at 20:57, Munkienut said:

Love everyone's work in the thread, you folk all do such a great job and I wish I had the skill to do half as good a job. I've got tonnes of mini boardgames and have always fancied painting but always been scared of ruining the minis due to lack of skill. I'd tried a couple Mice and Mystics minis many years ago and they didn't go great, haven't played it since. Anyways I've recently picked up some equipment to give it another try based on a friend's recommendations, I now have paints (Vallejo game colour multipacks - fantasy figure colours and advanced colour sets - 32 paints total), light grey primer (spray and brush on ones), some rosemary and Co brushes (a 2 and a 0), a mini holder thing from redgrass games, a dry palette, a wet palette (redgrass games v1), some washes (nuln oil and army painter soft tone quickshade ink) and a decent desk lamp. Is there anything else I should really pick up? Brush soap is possibly the main thing I can think of.

I've decided to start with my Marvel United base game as I think the minis should be easier than a lot of smaller ones with finer details such as Bloodborne, Star Wars Imperial Assault or Mansions of Madness. Also its probably cheaper to replace the Marvel United base set if I screw it up...

I've made a start following some of the limited videos available and seem to do an okay job of base coating but when it comes to shading and highlighting I just end up ruining the paint jobs. I actually really enjoy base coating and feel like they look alright as they are (I've done Captain America, Hulk and Red Skull so far) but find it really stressful trying to add in highlighting and shading as I've no idea where to start. I'll probably just focus on base coating them all and aim to learn how to go about the more technical parts when I become more comfortable.

Anyways the reason for my post is to ask if anyone has any good videos or guides they could point me to to learn from scratch how to go about shading and highlighting. I'm probably slightly limited by my collection of paints (32 in total) but have spent a lot to get everything mentioned and don't want to buy much else for a bit.

Check out Sorastro's channel. His Imperial Assault series is amazing and does a really good job of building up through the various techniques if you start from the beginning.

He also has a series for a Marvel game, although not the CMON one. Could be helpful for picking out colours / techniques for some of your Marvel models. The ones you posted above look great!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Sorastro/featured

34 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Like a silver/grey gem?  You could add some glazes of colours to make it look like it’s reflecting.  Unless you want to go and paint actual reflections.

I think reflections of specific things would be a bit ambitious but yeah, I was thinking a vague impression of reflections. I just kind of don't know where to start. A silver base plus glazed lines?