Playstation Vita

Semi off topic but I always liked that Sega went to the trouble of doing properly separate Sonic games for the 8-bits rather than trying to directly cram the megadrive versions in.

Sonics 1, 2 and Chaos really benefited from that.

I somehow managed to get through 25 years of Sonic fandom without playing the Master System versions. It's quite a different sort of game, much more challenging and harsh, but I like it.

I'll move onto Sonic 2 if I can get the hack working again (I mean, I could just play it on the PC, but y'know, handhelds, woo!).

</diversion>

On 16/08/2016 at 08:53, Treble said:

The Henkaku emulator is like the dawn of a beautiful new day: unshackled from deskbound emulation, or trying to juggle screen/controller on my Android tab, I’m racing through some wonderful stuff.  After five days I’ve completed six games, and have dozens queued up. Pure joy.

It really is, I have a GPD XD but the retroarch SNESx2005 is nigh on perfect and the controls on the Vita suit emulation perfectly. I'm in heaven - and I can flog my GPD XD for monies!

On 16/08/2016 at 10:54, Sprite Machine said:

I somehow managed to get through 25 years of Sonic fandom without playing the Master System versions. It's quite a different sort of game, much more challenging and harsh, but I like it.

I'll move onto Sonic 2 if I can get the hack working again (I mean, I could just play it on the PC, but y'know, handhelds, woo!).

</diversion>

Chaos (The Master System exclusive one) might actually be my favourite Sonic game, but that's probably nostalgia talking.

If I were to buy a new PS Vita today, would I be able to get Henkaku working, or have Sony patched it?

I'm abroad until the end of the year, and have left my Vita in the UK, but I'm tempted to pick up another for homebrew (also has the advantage of not risking anything happening to my account on my current Vita.)

It's a shame that you can't update the system software because it forces you to choose between using the emulators and playing Sony official games. Super Mario World has brought my PlayStation Vita out of the cupboard and it's been in constant use for last few weeks but now I'd like to re-download persona 4 Golden and I can only do this by updating the firmware.

Sony should realise that things like henkaku get people using the console again under console it is being used is far better for them than a console that stuck in a cupboard. I'm really loathe to give up with the emulators which means that my PS Vita is now permanently stuck without the ability to download games and pay for them from the official Sony store. This is a crazy situation because I want to buy their products and I can't because of a decision that they have made. 

The PS Vita is all but Dead on the high street and without the ability to download things it's going to become a pure emulation machine. This is fine by me but Sony is now missing out on the opportunity to take any more cash for any future purchases because the emulators have brought the PS Vita out of the cupboard and made me want to get back into using it again. 

Sony should be embracing henkaku and not trying to stop it from working because henkaku on current firmware increases the value and quality of the console. Buy stopping henkaku from working all they're doing is stopping legitimate customers like myself from spending money with them. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Not necessarily. I mean using emulators isn't illegal. 

For sure but the ROMs are, or at least they're not legal if you want to look at it like that.

Either way, I don't have a problem with it - Sony does.

Vita in the cupboard = out of sight, out of mind. No sales for Sony.

Vita in the hand is worth 2 in the cupboard. Reminds me what a great device it is. Makes me want to browse the store to see what else it can do.

Ooops, it does nothing without a firmware upgrade. All this firmware update is going to do is remove emulator comparability. No thanks.

There's legit, and there's not legit.  Then there's me, in the middle, legally playing Mario, a game I paid for twice at full price and again on virtual console.  I'm not pirating anything, nothing dodgy is going on, but Sony's decision to stop Henkaku working means I can't be a legit customer any more. 

I would understand the decision if henkaku opened the doors to piracy but at the moment its not harming their sales opportunities for any reason other than their own decision to stop me buying games.

No Stanley, it's not legal. Neither is copying music, movies or e-books. In 2014, there was a law introduced to make the latter 3 legal to copy (I doubt it covered ROMs), but that was then overturned last year, so they are illegal again.

Here's the fun though.

Legal to own CD.

Illegal to rip CD.

What about acquiring someone else's rip of a CD you own?

(And same for games).

And it's weirdly relevant for me, if you have a complete Master System set there, most of the later European games are literally rips of the cartridges I own but done by someone else.  I'm literally playing the copy I own, but I didn't rip it.

Ah fun.

8 hours ago, SMD said:

Either way, I don't have a problem with it - Sony does.

They don't give two shits about the emulation. It's all about stopping exploits so the system isn't hacked for pirating Vita/PSP software which they still sell on the store.

Im trying to install firmware 3.60. Im currently on firmware 3.57. I have downloaded QCMA, I have put the firmware file and the XML file in the right place. When I click on system update > Update from PC on my Vita, I just get a message saying error has occured C0-10120-4. Im doing this on a mac, but I have read that it can be done on a mac. Ive also tried this in recovery mode, same thing.

Can anyone help? Its my spare Vita, its just going to be used for emulation, so dont care if I have to restore it or anything.

2 hours ago, kempstar said:

Im trying to install firmware 3.60. Im currently on firmware 3.57. I have downloaded QCMA, I have put the firmware file and the XML file in the right place. When I click on system update > Update from PC on my Vita, I just get a message saying error has occured C0-10120-4. Im doing this on a mac, but I have read that it can be done on a mac. Ive also tried this in recovery mode, same thing.

Can anyone help? Its my spare Vita, its just going to be used for emulation, so dont care if I have to restore it or anything.

Hi

Have you changed the XML file with your region code?, i had the same problem and had to edit the region in the file to "UK"........

Also you have to have content manager running as well........it took me a good few goes to get it to work but i eventually got there.

Good luck!