Sign in to follow this  
JPR

Dragon Age 2

a4xsm.jpg

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

- You can import data from the original game.

"You may be controlling a different character in Dragon Age II, but the choices your Grey Warden made in Origins are still imported from your save and reflected in the world."

- Bethany: Hawkes sister is a magician and supports her brother in the battle with fire spells.

- Cassandra: The Inquisitor has a burning interest in the hero did Hawkes.

- Varric: The dwarf Hawke has accompanied on his travels and is the storyteller in Dragon Age 2

- Flemeth: The mighty shapeshifts and mother of Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins is also in Dragon Age 2 again with the party.

- Causing issues with party members won't always be a bad thing:

"They won't necessarily leave. They may still join you, but they're going to try to show you up, and that may influence battle in a different way."

- Mass Effect 2-style conversation wheel, now a symbol is shown to show what sort of reply it is (e.g. aggressive or sarcastic)

"Dragon Age II uses a conversation system similar to Mass Effect's, where players select paraphrased versions of the dialogue from a wheel. An icon in the middle of the wheel even illustrates the line's basic intent (like aggressive or sarcastic), so you can focus more on the interaction rather than reading and analyzing your dialogue choices."

- Manner in which the story unfolds will be different than previous BioWare titles.

"Dragon Age II has a framed narrative structure, which means that the exploits of Hawke occured in the past, but are being retold in the present." "Narrators with unique insights into the events in question tell the tale of his past adventures."

- Events from the Origins at the start of DA2 may be shown, but from a different perspective.

"Dragon Age II begins as the events of Origins are still taking place, so you may see some familiar events from a different angle."

- Will see the consequences of our actions sooner instead of a little text at the end of the game.

- PC version's combat system is the same for the most part.

"The PC version implements the same strategic approach afforded by a mouse-and-keyboard control scheme. Rather than try to mimic the PC experience on consoles, Dragon Age II has a battle system more tailored to the strengths of the PS3 and 360."

Game Informer speaking about the game, having played the Xbox 360 version:

"We can confirm that it is faster, more responsive, and more fluid than before. As soon as you press a button, something happens. As a warrior, Hawke threw down special strikes and used a new dash move to slash through darkspawn with ease. It isn't on the Dynasty Warriors side of the spectrum, but with obvious improvements to the targeting system and animations, playing Dragon Age II with a controller finally feels natural."

Timeline of Thedas.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/201...-of-thedas.aspx

Concept Art

ANErU.jpg

QsfBh.jpg

Five Facts About Hawke

1. Hawke will be a voiced character.

Unlike Dragon Age: Origins, the player's character in Dragon Age II will be fully voiced. This opens the door for a more cinematic approach to dialogue and creates an identity for the character outside of the text you see on-screen. It also eliminates those awkward scenarios where you feel like your character should be reacting, but instead just stares blankly without so much as a grunt.

2. Hawke is human.

Yes, that means that you won't be able to select Hawke's race. However, just because that one aspect of Hawke's backstory is set doesn't mean BioWare is eliminating character creation. You can still choose your class and customize your appearance. When we visited BioWare's studio, we only saw (and heard) the male Hawke in action, but the team promises that players can select either gender for the character.

3. Hawke didn't just survive the blight...he escaped it.

As the Grey Warden from Dragon Age: Origins was fighting darkspawn, Hawke was living in Lothering. Fans will remember that the small village was raided and destroyed (an event that occurred off-screen in Origins), and Hawke was one of the survivors. However, rather than stay and fight the darkspawn menace, Hawke flees Ferelden and heads north.

4. Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall.

Kirkwall is a major population center in the Free Marches, a collection of city-states north of Ferelden. This means that at least some of the action in Dragon Age II will be set in Kirkwall itself, though Hawke will also spend time in other areas of the Free Marches. What exactly Hawke does to earn the honorary title of Champion, however, is up to you.

5. Hawke drives the story.

Dragon Age II is not about killing an ancient evil or about quelling another blight; Hawke is the driving force behind the narrative. Over the course of the game's 10-year timeline, players' actions and choices will determine Hawke's history, relationships, and regrets...all in service to answering the larger question: Who is the Champion of Kirkwall?

Screens

NbdyN.jpg

Be1xM.jpg

TO7KA.jpg

RzT1F.jpg

GI Scans

GyCdc.jpg

w4gz4.jpg

EZFxn.jpg

PIe4l.jpg

aeF4Z.jpg

• Upvote 1

gami_208_cov_front.jpg
Got the cover art in today for the next issue. Giant sequel not at E3, and the art...well, fantasy nuts are gonna crap themselves

:hug:

Bit misleading, no? It's not particularly outstanding in any way and doesn't hint at anything special, and as a piece of (concept) art it isn't even particularly atmospheric or evocative.

dragonagecoverspread.jpg

More to it on the back cover, which looks more interesting than what's on the front really. Wonder if that hints at human involvement with the Darkspawn this time.

I recently picked up the first one on PS3. I have to be honest, I thought it was one of the shittest next gen experiences i've had so far. Visually generic and with a combat system so uninspiring I just couldn't get into it at all.

It seemed to find plenty of fans though so I guess it was quite a personal response and not some massive faults in the game itself.

I recently picked up the first one on PS3. I have to be honest, I thought it was one of the shittest next gen experiences i've had so far. Visually generic and with a combat system so uninspiring I just couldn't get into it at all.

It seemed to find plenty of fans though so I guess it was quite a personal response and not some massive faults in the game itself.

The console versions wern't great, and the PC version was already dated as the game was in dev ages ago. Tech wise it wasn't amazing, and I agree about the combat to some degree. I don't like the clicking abilities and managing dudes like the old DnD style anymore, I much prefer newer systems like Mass Effect 2 :hug:

But it was some good solid classic western RPGing in that game. Good lore, lots of detail, sufficent amount of depth but still easy to play, well presented and enjoyable characters imo. Not biowares best (ME2 again :( ) but still really glad they made it and the sequel

Am looking forward to seeing the screens and reading the article, but I'm sure Sarge will provide us with scans as soon as they're available. :hug:

Is that....Duncan? A Dragon Age prequel, perhaps?

Did you even see Duncan die in Origins? You just saw him get slashed and everyone was like 'he's dead'.

DUNC AIN'T DEAD, SON. DUNC AIN'T DEAD.

Is that....Duncan? A Dragon Age prequel, perhaps?

It's a new hero and will be set in a different part of the world. Wonder if that means no origins this time, just one main character.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

Key Features:

•Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.

•Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.

•Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

•Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.

•Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

Trailer coming August 17th :-)

So it sounds like it will still have the multiple origin stories, interested to see what they do with the combat. I do think that was one of the weaker aspects lacked the strategy or depth of say the Baulder's Gate series. Some reason it just sounds as if it will be more action orientated with more direct control though, maybe similar to ME2 which I love in ME2 but don't want in DA2. Love this concept art, new desktop I think.

concept-02-o.jpg

To be honest...deep down I do sort of wish the combat would be slightly more twitch-based like ME2. And this is coming from someone who had a big boner for Infinity Engine games back in the day.

It would be nice if you could 'import the history' of your first game.

Loved DA to bits, but I hope to God it's not a direct continuation like Mass Effect 2 was.

As my character

died at the end of the first game, I'm basically buggered. I didn't want to play the expansion pack with a new character.

. I guess I could start it again but it's shame that I if can't have the ending I want.

I was disappointed that the combat wasn't even more of a stack n queue micromanaged affair than it actually turned out to be. In fact, I had hoped it would be pretty much exactly the same as KoTOR.

I guess those days are long gone though.

Personally I find Dragon Age's combat a hassle so I play it on Easy. Whenever I try to set things up strategically I either get annoyed with my rogues constantly moving out of backstab position, party members wandering into traps mid-combat, or other such things. It feels like I have to nanny my entire party, and as there's a lot of combat in the game I've realised I have more fun just putting the difficulty down and powering through.

I'm interested to see the new visual style. As I have DA on PC I've taken to modding in decent hairstyles and less shapeless armour, but with any luck I won't have to this time.

It seems they're going the Planescape/Mass Effect style approach of playing a pre-defined but customizable character, which I suspect will mean the main character will be voiced this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same kind of jump as we did from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2.

You play as human called Hawke. Comfirmed here by Bioware's community manager, Christ Priestly.

While there are multiple races in the game, like elves, dwarves, etc, in Dragon Age 2 you play a human character.