Daft Punk Thread...

I take it they never cleared those samples then? I guess they were totally disguised before, but does this expose them to any legal issues? I know little about the legal side of such things.

You were right about the Daft Punk mixes in DJ Hero, by the way. Well worth the cost just for those.

the sample is on EMI and Daft Punk are on Virgin so i doubt there would be any issues. Clearance wise god knows. Might get stung for back payments. Tavares won't be short of a few quid. They did the original versions of Take That's - Only Takes a Minute and a couple of evergreen records like More Than a Woman.

oh yeah the Daft Punk mixes are lovely.

Even when the sample is played over and over you can hardly hear it until it's cut together. Pitched up 3 semi tones from the original making it even harder to spot. Absolutly inspired from daft punk. Proving once again my they are my favorate artists of all time.

I honestly don't think it's particularly remarkable, in technical terms. It's very very good, because they've made something very very good out of it, but in terms of sample manipulation, it's not that complex or unusual. Cutting up a sample and pitching it up is fairly routine.

If only the DP video was as well made as the Prodigy one. Still, I'm always fascinated by obscure sample sources like this. Excellent examples of creative sampling, which I think owes no royalties to the original artists due to the tiny section sampled and the amount of manipulation involved.

• 2 weeks later...

.The amazing thing about The Avalanches' samples is that the melody samples are often full songs - like a bass, melody, drums, background melodies and stuff. It's a very dense-sounding album, and I love that. It must have taken a hell of a lot of effort to EQ and sync the samples.

Yeah, like the vocal on that example is 2 different records by the same artist pitched up a bit, but it's not an accapella or breakdown, just the full track. How they stopped that sounding like complete shit is anyone's guess.

On an aside, what are the major differences between the Australian original and the UK release? I've always listened to the Australian one and not given my CD copy much of a chance.

When it first came out I tried to download it before my CD arrived and I remember getting some tracks that were quite different. Then when my CD arrived I deleted them before I realised they weren't the same. It must have been an early cut or something but it was really good and I've never found them since. "When I Met You" is really good if you haven't heard it. Still waiting on a second album though!

Well, the early version of Since I Left You is called 'Gimix', which has a lot of extra samples and stuff I assume they couldn't clear. Also somehow sounds more of a mixtape than SILY, you works really well as a proper album. When I Met You is Gimix, isn't it? think so.

I noticed the last track Fragile was revealed to be a fake - did they say who actually made it? It sounded too much like the Human After All sound for my liking, which I can't imagine any of the Tron soundtrack being like. This new track I like a lot though, and it sounds more plausible. Good music is good music though so who cares if it's real/fake.