rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gambit

Godzilla (2014)

Really makes you appreciate how awesome it is when a really good looking film just pops up with little previous fanfare and announces an imminent release.

It feels great knowing you dont have to wait long, and it's better hype for them. Maybe they're finally learning that if you saturate the audience with updates for a year during filming, and trailers for trailers.....we get fucking bored by release.

• Upvote 1

Bored AND know the entire plot. Just now we don't even know for sure how many kaiju there are.

I actually didn't think it was a great trailer; I much prefered the teaser but I don't think we can say it's gave away the entire plot at all.

It's told us that Godzilla first appeared in the 50's and that the atomic tests in the Pacific were attempts to kill him but that's it.

We don't know where he's been since, what the other monsters are, where they've came from, why they've appeared now, who any of the characters are and what relation they have to one another.

We're pretty much in the dark except for us knowing that giant monsters will tussle because of the previous films.

Yeah, that was my point. Unlike the usual trans-media marketing bukkake most films get, Gidzollo has been given a very restrained, minimal treatment, keeping the mystery up and the excitement of not knowing we've seen the end of the movie already in the trailers.

Might be worth bringing up: many many years ago, Gareth Edwards used to work with Matt Berry on this super low budget Sky TV series:

He also did the title sequence for this amazing low rent version of GamesMaster:

If you skip ahead (highly advised) to 18mins into this one, you may be surprised to see who's dressed up in monk's robes.

:coffee:

• Upvote 1

does anyone remember when the 1998 Godzilla came out Lucasfilm posted this on the star wars home page:

tpmplotposter.jpg

Which i always though was fucking rude of Lucas and Co.

Especially given the results of his 1999 masterpiece The Phantom Menace."

• Upvote 1

Den of Geek saw a 20m preview and were very impressed, both on scale and the quieter moments. The link is on their front page but does contain some minor spoilers.

I've never seen a Godzilla film other than the nineties US remake. Well, I've seen bits of the occasional one, but never one all the way through. I wouldn't mind catching up on a few. Across 28 films, they're split into three eras. Any one era worth bothering with over the other? Of course, I'll watch the original regardless.

I've never seen a Godzilla film other than the nineties US remake. Well, I've seen bits of the occasional one, but never one all the way through. I wouldn't mind catching up on a few. Across 28 films, they're split into three eras. Any one era worth bothering with over the other? Of course, I'll watch the original regardless.

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidora: Giant Monsters All Out Attack was always my favourite.

The final Japanese movie they did Godzilla: Final Wars is worth a look. Mainly for the bit where Man in suit Godzilla destroys the CG Godzilla from the remake in ten seconds.

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidora: Giant Monsters All Out Attack was always my favourite.

The final Japanese movie they did Godzilla: Final Wars is worth a look. Mainly for the bit where Man in suit Godzilla destroys the CG Godzilla from the remake in ten seconds.

That's totally worth posting again.

• Upvote 2