Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

Its such a cheat meal, those Korean pastes add huge depth and complexity of flavour for no effort.

I made again this week and its a total winner, I upped the veg a bit too as seems like something you can just experiment with.

15 hours ago, Laine said:

Where are people getting the rice crackers from? I’d love to try it.

You mean the Tteokbokki (rice cakes)? You'd have to get them from an Asian supermarket. Preferably a Korean one. If you have a Seoul Plaza or Korea Foods anywhere near you, they'll definitely sell everything you need.

While you're there get gochujang (chilli paste), doenjang (soy bean paste), Korean sesame oil, gochugaru (chilli flakes used to make kimchi and other dishes). I also like the pajeon (Korean pancake) mix.   

1 minute ago, stephen129 said:

You mean the Tteokbokki (rice cakes)? You'd have to get them from an Asian supermarket. Preferably a Korean one. If you have a Seoul Plaza or Korea Foods anywhere near you, they'll definitely sell everything you need.

While you're there get gochujang (chilli paste), doenjang (soy bean paste), Korean sesame oil, gochugaru (chilli flakes used to make kimchi and other dishes). I also like the pajeon (Korean pancake) mix.   

Yes sorry I meant to say rice cakes!

There probably is one nearby but not easy for me to get to thanks to the ‘rona. I’ll have a look online. Already a gochujang fan and I’ll keep an eye out for the other stuff you mentioned - thanks! 

1 minute ago, Laine said:

Yes sorry I meant to say rice cakes!

There probably is one nearby but not easy for me to get to thanks to the ‘rona. I’ll have a look online. Already a gochujang fan and I’ll keep an eye out for the other stuff you mentioned - thanks! 

Lots of good Korean dishes to discover.

I like the grilled meats, kalbi, bulgogi, samgyeopsal etc.

The jeon (pancakes) are good, especially the haemul (seafood).

The tofu stews called Sundubu-jjigae are good with a side of rice (especially in winter).

Japchae is a decent noodle dish. 

Sounds strange, but they do these ice cold noodle dishes called Naengmyeon which are really nice in summer.

Kimbap (kinda like a Korean, usually vegetarian) form of sushi, flavoured with sesame oil. 

Dolsot bibimbap is a rice dish with lots of vegetables that you mix in with gochujang. It's put in a really hot stone bowl so the bottom goes crispy.

Ughh, I miss Korean food. Need to get back to New Malden when I can.

On 06/07/2020 at 20:53, Laine said:

Where are people getting the rice crackers from? I’d love to try it.

I got these from eBay, they were a little dense and didn't appear as 'pillowy' as the ones in the video - suspect there are far better out there in a proper store.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Natural-Rice-Cake-Tteokbokki-Topokki-450g-No-additive-Vegeterian/401607685020?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=671350965606&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, emerald fox said:

You’ve got fine taste in a breakfast @Fox black pudding, streaky bacon and plenty of mushrooms 

Ironically you tagged the wrong Fox. But thank the sweet lord you did, because I've never been in this subforum before, and so I would never have seen @The Fox's incredible breakfast. I fucking LOVE black pudding with mushroom and beans. That combo on a fork is perfect. Firm handshakes all round. 

25 minutes ago, Fox said:

Ironically you tagged the wrong Fox. But thank the sweet lord you did, because I've never been in this subforum before, and so I would never have seen @The Fox's incredible breakfast. I fucking LOVE black pudding with mushroom and beans. That combo on a fork is perfect. Firm handshakes all round. 

Apologies @The Fox but glad you found it :D

On 26/09/2020 at 19:36, The Fox said:

Breakfast rather than dinner, but hey ho.

C1710861-D07F-4905-9B98-FF158419738E.thumb.jpeg.a1948262abb677608941fc84de0acdc1.jpeg

Where did you get this? I must go there. Or did you make it? In which case, where do you live? I must go there. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Mac and cheese "lasagna"

It's a layer of bolognese topped with mac and cheese. The recipe is from this month's BBC Good Food magazine. I would say it's hit near the top of my favourite home cooked dinners. Properly ace.

That looks great. Is the recipe online?

Can't find it, but it's pretty much:

Make bolognese

Make mac and cheese (for 800ml of milk, it uses 100g parmesan and 80g cheddar. Stick a couple of teaspoons of mustard in to cut through the cheesiness), only cooking the mac bit to a bit less than al dente

Pur bolognese in an oven proof dish

Put the mac and cheese on top

Chop some mozzarella over the top and add some more cheddar

Stick in the oven on 200 (180 fan) for about half an hour