rllmuk
Calashnikov

This is Hip-Hop.

5 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Madlib production awesome, Freddie Gibbs is fucking atrocious though. Some wack ass emcees out there these days that are touted as being great but really aren't.

There's tracks on Bandanna that I really like, but some of Kane's verses are just annoying as shit. Same with Pinata. I'm really, really excited for the instrumentals.

Yeah, I got 5 tracks in and all I could think is, instrumental would be better. Then I heard the track you put up and the next one (towards the end of the album) and liked both.  I just don't like Gibbs

I was a little scared to post my views on Bandanna due to how I thought everyone loved it, but I have to say I agree with the last few posts.

Madlib's production is as dope as ever but while Freddie Gibbs is a decent rapper, the lyrical content gets tiresome after a few tracks and I struggle to listen to more than a few tracks at a time.  Maybe at nearly 42, I am too old to listen to songs about coke, hoes and other illegal activities, I used to love that shit when I was 16 but now I would rather sit down and listen to someone like Phonte and his songs on health problems, getting old and heartbreak.

Agreed. I've not listened to much hip-hop for a good while, life has taken over and I can no longer play questionable lyrical content in the house! I'm 40, listening to these ignorant rappers talking shit doesn't seem so "amusing" as it used to. Great to hear Madlibs production again, an instrumental would be dope as fuck, but the majority of the tracks I really didn't like due to Gibbs.

In contrast, after going back a few pages (I rarely read this thread anymore unfortunately) and coming across Esars' Pitch 92 post, I've been listening to the whole album and it's just so niiiiice.

I like Freddie Gibbs a lot but I think it's always been the case that he's best in small doses. Pinata was great but by about two thirds of the way through I'm generally starting to tune out.

The good thing is that he seems to have the self-awareness to realise this himself since most of his recent stuff is EP/mini-LP length. I figure on a longer project he could get away with stretching out if the guest spots and instrumental sections are paced well enough but I don't know if Bandana manages that because I'm still STAYING STRONG.

I really like the album, but I agree that some of the uber ignorant content made me want to turn it off at moments. There's some moments of self awareness in there, but hearing lyrics about passing bitches to his homies or whatever is just puerile from Gibbs at this stage. I always surprised when rappers who have had charges of sexual assault brought to them carry on with these kinds of lyrics. I know gibbs beat his case, but still, you'd think he'd a little less forthcoming with those kinds of misogynistic bars.

I'm biased as I could listen to Freddie all day, but he raps circles around Pusha and Killer Mike on this. They are two really phoned in guest appearances, which is a shame as the Yasiin Bey and Black Thought track is brilliantly executed on basically every level. For me it's the only real duff moment on it – and it's doubly a pity as Palmolive is a great production.

With regards to the lyrical content, I could be tempted to agree, but it's obviously all an act. The dude is on a Riesling appreciation tour with Madlib and Egon at the moment, not slinging crack. Possibly a thin excuse, but he's pretty self aware all things considered. I dunno, I think of an alternative world where he's not rapping about this stuff and I'm not sure I'd want to listen to it.

• Upvote 2

I like the album but there's something missing to really make it grip me and make it a favourite. Not sure what. I actually don't like the production on some of the songs, it's a bit inconsistent, Palmolive sounds amazing but a couple of them just sound like generic trap which is disappointing from Madlib. 

Anyway does that Ed Sheeran song with Eminem and 50 Cent fit in here? It's fucking appalling and I don't even know who it's for, I don't know why Eminem keeps doing stuff with that creepy charlatan. 50 cent sounds like he's just woken up and been handed a mic and told to just say some lines. The beat is some sort of kidz pop shite. It's a total disaster. 

New Keith album is meh; I was expecting more from Psycho Les.

BUT! It's led me to this brilliant but scrappy album with Keith all over it from fifteen years ago. Someone is going to come in all rolly eyes and all 'EVERYONE knows that album!' but it's new to me so hey. 

It's kind of all over the shop, has a weird Biggie impersonator on track one, Tim Dog on others and Keith is on top form.

On 12/07/2019 at 20:08, Art Vandelay said:

I'm biased as I could listen to Freddie all day, but he raps circles around Pusha and Killer Mike on this. They are two really phoned in guest appearances, which is a shame as the Yasiin Bey and Black Thought track is brilliantly executed on basically every level. For me it's the only real duff moment on it – and it's doubly a pity as Palmolive is a great production.

With regards to the lyrical content, I could be tempted to agree, but it's obviously all an act. The dude is on a Riesling appreciation tour with Madlib and Egon at the moment, not slinging crack. Possibly a thin excuse, but he's pretty self aware all things considered. I dunno, I think of an alternative world where he's not rapping about this stuff and I'm not sure I'd want to listen to it.

Good to see you posting again Art, hope all is well!

• Upvote 1

On 13/07/2019 at 05:47, deerokus said:

a couple of them just sound like generic trap which is disappointing from Madlib. 

I just had the album on, and fuckin hell Situations is some bullshit:

Has to be Madlib's worst production. It's so dull and lifeless.

• Upvote 1

On 14/07/2019 at 19:43, Camel said:

BUT! It's led me to this brilliant but scrappy album with Keith all over it from fifteen years ago. Someone is going to come in all rolly eyes and all 'EVERYONE knows that album!' but it's new to me so hey. 

I have that on both cd and vinyl* actually, bought around release. I know about it! It's the second album of this nutcase trio, the first being under the name KHM:

^the title track.

Not quite the same line-up, but featuring all of Clayborne thanks to two Jacky Japsper guest appearances, the best thing Keith ever did as a member of a group is the album Pimp to Eat, by the Analog Brothers. (You'd understandably assume that Ultramagnetic is the best Keith group, but nah it's a good runner-up to Analog Brothers). Maybe you already know that one, but since you didn't know Clayborne or KHM either, just making sure.

This is my shit. It's timeless.

*Though I admittedly don't exactly know where they are atm, stashed somewhere alongside the rest of my physical music collection from the good old days.

I never really got on with Analog Brothers but maybe it's time for another listen. Nothing Keith has done has ever come close to Ultramagnetic for me really. But then nothing *anyone* has done has really come close to this:

New Wizzy:

• Upvote 1

From 1:29-ish when he rides and pops all over that skittery trap take on the Roy Ayers sample up to where he says “hit you with that yoga flame” and the Dhalsim SF2 sample cuts in is about the flyest rap shit I’ve heard since Roc Marciano told y’all to twist one and slide off. 

I really dig how he’s able to switch up his flow depending on the beat. They say he’s one note but I think he’s crazy versatile technically. In terms of subject matter, he maybe doesn’t bring the same versatility but I think people maybe just make their mind up about that and don’t listen beyond the surface. Some of it is nihilistic gangsterism, some of it is harrowing stuff while some of it is funny as fuck. The subject remains the same but he delivers it tonally different enough between tracks to sustain my interest certainly. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/07/2019 at 12:47, Charliemouse said:

I would rather sit down and listen to someone like Phonte and his songs on health problems, getting old and heartbreak.

This is one of the immediate rap tracks I think of when it comes to the subject of heartbreak:

That he does it in the usual thug persona just adds to why it’s so great. You get a sense that he’s fully self aware of the front he continually puts up.

• Upvote 2

Nice!

Still loving this feature from Ice T from a couple of years ago. Here again in case anyone missed it:

• Upvote 1