rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

The patch is out on PC at least, about 7.5gb. The servers are still down though.

I'm actually quite excited to try the Gunblade now. I've been casually playing this solo over the last year or so (taking frequent breaks) and I've only just hit level 62 on my Warrior, but the thought of a shiny new tank class is pretty irresistible.

The Warrior changes look ok but I feel like Square have made the same mistake that Blizzard do: make the class/job defining features/traits a high level, new-expansion level unlock. They seem to have done it with all the new abilities, eg it's great to finally have a combo finisher for our AoE (Overpower) but it doesn't start to generate Beast Gauge until mid-70s, so you still have to single target and tab between enemies until then if you want to generate your resource. There seem to be a fair few little things like that which hold the job back until you're at the max level.

Edit: On PC, the latest update now caps framerates at 90 because apparently Yoshida is worried that people will overheat their GPUs without one. Looks like someone's found a way to fix that.

Patch is out on PS4 as well, just installed it. NWhile I didn't think much would change for me at ACN level 26, looks like the pets have had big changes, such as removal of emnity generation, and Ruin has changed. Won't require too much adjustment I wouldn't think. It looks like pets have actually been dumbed down a bit.

I main Scholar and they’ve gutted the fuck out of the job to be honest and I’m pretty pissed off about it. Every other Scholar main I know and an overwhelming majority of those I’ve seen online think the same. Tank and DPS changes all look very good but the simplification and homogenisation of healers look terrible.

I’m going to play through the Shadowbringers story as Scholar but will probably switch to Dancer afterwards as that looks excellent. 

Anyway, enough moaning from me. Happy Shadowbringers day! :D

I main SCH and i'm fine with the changes for the most part. They've got rid of the stuff that was really clunky before but as long as the incoming damage is a bit higher to compensate for the extra healing they've added then it will be good. Sitting there spamming Broil all dungeon has never been interesting but there are a lot of SCH's that seem to want to be playing a dps job and are only doing it for the faster queue times.

Well I'll now be getting to the point where I pick Scholar or Summoner to main for a while, as I have access here to two learned scholars, that might be the way I go. I guess I won't be able to run the first 3 dungeons to get a feel for healing as it will level sync down and I won't have the abilities. Just worried I'll get performance anxiety once I head in as heals, and mess up.

Just reading some other guides, and I didn't realise you could have Bio and Bio II up at the same time. I thought one replaced the other, but I'm guessing I was wrong there. 

Game is back up! haha, though I am 1,752 in the queue to get in.

35 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Well I'll now be getting to the point where I pick Scholar or Summoner to main for a while, as I have access here to two learned scholars, that might be the way I go. I guess I won't be able to run the first 3 dungeons to get a feel for healing as it will level sync down and I won't have the abilities. Just worried I'll get performance anxiety once I head in as heals, and mess up.

Just reading some other guides, and I didn't realise you could have Bio and Bio II up at the same time. I thought one replaced the other, but I'm guessing I was wrong there. 

Game is back up! haha, though I am 1,752 in the queue to get in.

XP is tied to the class not the job so SCH and SMN are unique in that you level both that the same time because they're both based off Arcanist. They don't share gear but as long as you stay up to date with the job quests you'll have both accessible.

4 minutes ago, bcofn said:

XP is tied to the class not the job so SCH and SMN are unique in that you level both that the same time because they're both based off Arcanist. They don't share gear but as long as you stay up to date with the job quests you'll have both accessible.

Ooh, thats good to know, thanks. I thought it was going to be more of a choice of one or the other, but thats brill. So I'll just have a gear set for each.

Just looking through the changes to Dragoon, looks like they've made the core rotation more powerful and changed the levels at which certain abilities are unlocked (much much earlier than before!)

Whelp the utility of Bard have been tossed out of the window and moved over to Dancer. Might as well rename it to Ranger.

Spoiler

Which is good as I prefer to just go pewpewpew than bother with that other rubbish :P 

How does Paladin feel? Other than better DPS.

I've dabbled a bit with the Gunbreaker and my Warrior but neither seem particularly satisfying. They feel like DPS classes that have a few extra defensive CDs. Unless I'm mistaken, both of their resources (powder gauge and beast gauge) are used purely for dps. Nascent Flash does seem like it will heal you based on how much damage you do so that does tie in a little bit, but it's not really much.

Gunbreaker seems to be 1-2-3 then a Powder Gauge spender (one for single target and one for aoe), except that every 30 seconds you can do a more powerful single target combo. Great? I hope I've missed something because that literally seems to be the only thing you can do with Powder.

On 28/06/2019 at 09:31, bcofn said:

I main SCH and i'm fine with the changes for the most part. They've got rid of the stuff that was really clunky before but as long as the incoming damage is a bit higher to compensate for the extra healing they've added then it will be good. Sitting there spamming Broil all dungeon has never been interesting but there are a lot of SCH's that seem to want to be playing a dps job and are only doing it for the faster queue times.

I agree with your last point to a degree and that's been magnified ten-fold with Shadowbringers as healers have now been catapulted to the top of the short queue time/adventurer in need list.

Completely disagree with your other points though. I played a solid day with the new Scholar yesterday in solo and group content and it's frankly awful. They've ripped out all the complexity of the job, simplified it to the point of tedium, deleted half of your hotbar and made it incredibly boring to play now. DPS is now literally one DoT and one spammable with an occasional AoE skill for mobs that drains your MP in seconds. The Scholar DPS rotation was never that complex but you had options with three DoT's, Bane to spread them, Shadow Flare and then Energy Drains to dump your unused Aetherflow stacks and regen MP. It had a beautiful rhythm to it as you weaved and managed that aspect in between whatever healing was needed and managing your fairy. Now you're just stood there spamming one skill over and over again and that's literally it.

There was no way they were going to bump the outgoing damage up that much to compensate and force more focus on healing as they want to appeal to a wide range of skill levels and that would have made it too difficult for beginners or more casual players. Dungeons feel exactly the same as they ever did, so you have just as much downtime between healing but now you find yourself having to waste skills by massively overhealing and chucking out pointless Lustrate's on the tank just to build your fairy gauge as Energy Drain is now gone. MP management is terrible now because even though they've reduced the cooldown of Lucid Dreaming the loss of Energy Drain means that you can't top up your MP regularly. It just doesn't flow like it should.

I loved Scholar and invested so much in learning its intricacies but they've completely dropped the ball with these changes and they're very poorly thought through. The healing kit is fine but everything else is simplified and homogenised to the point of tedium and it's just dull to play now. I've heard Astro is suffering the same fate too. 

• Upvote 1

On a more positive note the rest of Shadowbringers is absolutely awesome! Feels like a step up in terms of production values with phenomenal music and the new areas are beautiful. I especially love the mournful air of melancholy that hangs over the whole thing but it flips conventions by having this dying world drenched in bright light. Really impressed by the story so far too which doesn't hang about and gets incredibly dark very early on too.

Had an amazing time playing it all day yesterday with my FC and across the board we agreed that it has the potential to be the best expansion yet. There's nothing quite like that first day of everyone running round and discovering all the new things. Very smooth launch too, at least on our server. Had a small queue to get in and then no DC's all day. We've come a long way from Raubahn savage.

Also Dancer absolutely fucking rocks and I'm probably gonna switch my main over to it from Scholar once I've finished the story.

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

I agree with your last point to a degree and that's been magnified ten-fold with Shadowbringers as healers have now been catapulted to the top of the short queue time/adventurer in need list.

Completely disagree with your other points though. I played a solid day with the new Scholar yesterday in solo and group content and it's frankly awful. They've ripped out all the complexity of the job, simplified it to the point of tedium, deleted half of your hotbar and made it incredibly boring to play now. DPS is now literally one DoT and one spammable with an occasional AoE skill for mobs that drains your MP in seconds. The Scholar DPS rotation was never that complex but you had options with three DoT's, Bane to spread them, Shadow Flare and then Energy Drains to dump your unused Aetherflow stacks and regen MP. It had a beautiful rhythm to it as you weaved and managed that aspect in between whatever healing was needed and managing your fairy. Now you're just stood there spamming one skill over and over again and that's literally it.

There was no way they were going to bump the outgoing damage up that much to compensate and force more focus on healing as they want to appeal to a wide range of skill levels and that would have made it too difficult for beginners or more casual players. Dungeons feel exactly the same as they ever did, so you have just as much downtime between healing but now you find yourself having to waste skills by massively overhealing and chucking out pointless Lustrate's on the tank just to build your fairy gauge as Energy Drain is now gone. MP management is terrible now because even though they've reduced the cooldown of Lucid Dreaming the loss of Energy Drain means that you can't top up your MP regularly. It just doesn't flow like it should.

I loved Scholar and invested so much in learning its intricacies but they've completely dropped the ball with these changes and they're very poorly thought through. The healing kit is fine but everything else is simplified and homogenised to the point of tedium and it's just dull to play now. I've heard Astro is suffering the same fate too. 

Having one extra dot to apply isn't complexity, it's just an excuse to press a different button that does exactly the same thing. The problem with it was you say it had some beautiful rhythm but my experience was it was all clunky. Bane was an awful ability. It never actually spread all your DoT's, and despite being an instant cast it still missed spreading ones on the target if you used it right away in the same way that trying to spread Galvanize did with Emergency Tactics. I kind of miss Shadow Flare but what did it actually do that Miasma 2 didn't? just use it on Sacred Soil more often. As for dps as a whole all they've done is give them the same range of dps abilities that the other healers had. AST only ever had one DoT, one cast and one AoE. WHM had an extra DoT, but with all of them all you were casting for 90% of the time was either the same single target spell (Broil/Stone/Malefic) or spamming the same AoE until you were out of mana. Sure it's a bit boring being sat there spamming Broil against a big fate boss but then it always has been and that hasn't changed.

There's a real disconnect with the Energy Drain arguments I see too. Players claim they only heal using the off GCD heals that all require Aetherflow stacks and then claim they need to dump Aetherflow. So what actual healing are you doing? Every dungeon I did yesterday there was no way I could have done it with only the fairy healing. Not a chance. Every one I was easily managing to use all of my stacks to the point I was waiting for it to come off cooldown frequently and it's not like I overheal. In all the logged runs i've done I tend to be lowest on the overheal. It's not even like Energy Drain ever restored that much mana either, certainly not compared to Aetherflow and Lustrate and the only times i've had any mana issues so far is when i'm spamming Art of War for an entire pull. The problem is that, because the internet told them so, it wasn't uncommon to see SCH's dump aetherflow into energy drain as soon as possible and then not have any stacks left to do any of their decent heals. Now the choice is to either use them all if you need them, use Aetherflow if you use the mana, or just save it for if you need it. Much like any cooldown, especially with healing, it should be using it at the right time, not just about dumping it as much as possible to keep spamming the same AoE spell.

I seem to have been given a free Fat Black Chocobo dlc code from Amazon from another order for this. I have no use for it so would anyone like it? First pm gets it.  :)

Ooh PM'ed!

I have to agree that Scholar feels massively oversimplified, though granted I'm only a baby level 58 Scholar. Logging in to Shadowbringers and finding half my action bar greyed out or otherwise uncastable was quite a shock.

Sticking with Scholar for a while yet, because I've had a ton of fun with it so far, but it does feel suddenly very basic at the moment. Only just into Heavensward though, so plenty to unlock yet! :)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Len said:

All yours! :)

B0000000 SE!

Still available as is a US-centric code so you need a US SE account apparently.

• Upvote 1

So last night I thought I’d get cracking on my Sightseeing log while I was tootling about. Was trying to do the waterfall one in Gridania where you have to climb the hill and jump on a lamppost. Could not climb the rocks. I tried for about 20 minutes, watched videos to make sure I was in the right place. No luck. Changed outfits but obviously no difference. Thank god I found a thread on Reddit where it appears 5.0 has added an invisible wall there making it impossible! Hope they fix it, or I won’t be able to do the sightseeing stuff which is kind of fun

I'm going to resubscribe just to turn my Warrior Roeg into the biggest bulkiest prettiest Dancer in all the lands.

edit: bugger me, it's a right ball ache downloading the base game I have. Vanilla, Heavensward and Stormblood are all gone from the PSN Store and are now included in a Complete Edition. Problem is, I did not buy the Complete Edition ever and am now unable to remotely download the version of the game I have :hmm:

I could browse through 2200 entries in my Download List hoping I come across FFXIV but it's faster to sit in the office for 2 more hours, go home and download it from the PS4 Library.

• Upvote 2

They seem to have removed Heavy Thrust from Dragoons/Lancers. It's still there on my Hotbar but I can't use it, I can't find it in Actions and Traits either. Which means my rotation has to change.

They've removed Impulse Drive too so I've no idea what my rotation should be now as all the guides say one or the other of those 

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I'm going to resubscribe just to turn my Warrior Roeg into the biggest bulkiest prettiest Dancer in all the lands.

edit: bugger me, it's a right ball downloading the base game I have. Vanilla, Heavensward and Stormblood are all gone from the PSN Store and are now included in a Complete Edition. Problem is, I did not buy the Complete Edition ever and am now unable to remotely download the version of the game I have :hmm:

I could browse through 2200 entries in my Download List hoping I come across FFXIV but it's faster to sit in the office for 2 more hours, go home and download it from the PS4 Library.

The store can be a right pain in the arse for stuff like that. Can you not remote access your PS4 from your phone and set the download off?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wev said:

They seem to have removed Heavy Thrust from Dragoons/Lancers. It's still there on my Hotbar but I can't use it, I can't find it in Actions and Traits either. Which means my rotation has to change.

They've removed Impulse Drive too so I've no idea what my rotation should be now as all the guides say one or the other of those 

A lot of my skills and traits were removed and I’m only level 28 so can see how it’s a pain in the arse. The official forums have job discussions that are up to date, worth looking there. Some of the fun is trying to figure it out though. The scale of the changes is huge all round it seems

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

The store can be a right pain in the arse for stuff like that. Can you not remote access your PS4 from your phone and set the download off?

You know, I've never considered that let alone tried Remote Play. Thanks.

edit: man, that shit is like magic! Downloading as we speak, but I damn well know as soon as the launcher kicks off, there'll be like 90GB data waiting to be downloaded :lol: 

edit: 2: no update at all after logging in, what a happy surprise!

• Upvote 1

Wow, it's embarrassing how utterly difficult the Dancer quest chain is and I am not sure who to blame: my lack of skills or Square Enix for making the tutorial boss as much as a challenge as any Primal. I can get maybe 10% damage in before she decimates me.

Here is an idea Square: ease (returning) players into a new class. Drip feed talents and skills so players can familiarize themselves with the 20+ new icons that clutter the screen. Blizzard did that over a decade ago when they introduced the Death Knight.

Instead we get the obligatory trademark nonsense cutscenes and heaps of texts. At least we can fast-forward and auto-continue the text boxes now, so that's a plus.

think I've figured out my rotation/s now. From Full Thrust I can go down the Vorpal Thrust route or Disembowel route now, there's more additions to both paths to come in later levels. Disembowel gives me an attack buff but I think Dragoons have lost their piercing buff (which seems stupid)

2 hours ago, df0 said:

Wow, it's embarrassing how utterly difficult the Dancer quest chain is and I am not sure who to blame: my lack of skills or Square Enix for making the tutorial boss as much as a challenge as any Primal. I can get maybe 10% damage in before she decimates me.

Here is an idea Square: ease (returning) players into a new class. Drip feed talents and skills so players can familiarize themselves with the 20+ new icons that clutter the screen. Blizzard did that over a decade ago when they introduced the Death Knight.

Instead we get the obligatory trademark nonsense cutscenes and heaps of texts. At least we can fast-forward and auto-continue the text boxes now, so that's a plus.

The first parts of that quest chain introduce you to your big nuke, then it's just a case of hitting 1 and 2 to get procs for your bigger abilities (which light up).

Did you equip the dancer gear they gave you? My ilevel was about 255 on my Dancer doing that quest and I didn't have any trouble killing the boss. I dropped to <50% once but I used the two heals to quickly get back up to nearly full health.

I saw a great post on Reddit explaining why the Scholar is in the worst place it's ever been (from a design perspective).

Having a glance around at a few of the classes on the job page, it does look like they've drastically simplified a lot of the classes - and given I've recently quit WoW because of how brain dead the classes have become, that's really disappointing. Does anyone know what the most complex tank class is now?

• Upvote 1

So it’s me who’s the source of the embarrassment? Damn it.

I did equip the starter gear but have to login to tell you my ilvl. 

Edit: 255, it’s synced. She melts away my health and for some daft reason the interrupt does seem to never register. As a main Warrior, I know all about the delay interrupt skills suffer and I learnt to keep a close eye on the opponents attack bar.