Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Ridley Scott's Prometheus - Sequel gets new writer

I think his point was 'Why are there living worms in a chamber that has been sealed for 2000 years?'

Yep, that immediately jarred with me. I remember reading that Star Trek has always had scientific advisors and that all the physics is vaguely plausible, rather than completely fantastical. How can, as someone in the Guardian's comment section pointed out, it have escaped the film makers' collective attention that 35,000 years ago the Isle of Skye was under an ice sheet several miles thick, thus no cave paintings would have been possible. A simple verifiable fact, not a theory.

I think my opinion on the film can neatly be summarised by what this guy said:

http://www.guardian....omment-16530120

A really decent sci fi film, like Moon say, stands up scrutiny as you turn it over in your mind, thinking about all the different angles.

All this film has prompted is people to have wildly differing ideas about the goo in jars. Just like Internet buzz about about the polar bears in Lost. That does not make it good.

I think the first few minutes of the film introducing David were some of the best bits, but then he just became sort of 2D after that. Sort of a wasted opportunity.

Having not read his biography or anything, I'm willing to bet good money that Lindelof is "spiritual but not religious" and is possibly into Buddhism. The most important book of his youth was Sophies world. He enjoys chilled minimalist techno, and simply cannot comprehend human emotion.

• Upvote 3

Some of you may recall a promo pic released a few weeks back that showed Charlize sitting on a gorgeous retro-future chair, a shot that never made it into the final film. Why, you ask? Because it was during the Weyland's holo office scene at the start and obviously, even someone as cool as Charlize can't sit on a frickin' hologram. However, the real reason I mention it is because one of the crew posts on Something Awful and mentioned that they picked up on it during editing and removed angles where you could see her sitting on it. The telling/fun part is someone actually originally pointed it out to Ridley Scott on set at the time and his response was:

"I don't care and I'm not bothered that some tiny portion of the audience might notice or care."

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Fuck this thread.

I went to see it last night and i absolutely loved it. Some of the finer detail and plot points needed a bit of clarification and i love the idea of te 2000 year ago event being responsible......

But overall it was a great cinematic experience. And i love tge original films.

Highly recommended. Cannot wait for blu ray directors cut.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 10

Saying 'fuck this thread' is a massive over reaction.

Most negative comments have been well thought out and based around obvious plot holes/bad character development.

The most reactionary comment in the thread is 'fuck this thread'.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Not at all.

All of the criticism has been very well written, however....sometimes a film is still a good film dispite all of these issues.

It is what it is, but if all films i saw were as good as prometheus i would be a very happy man indeed.

Directors cut asap please, with a cinema release.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I'm struggling to imagine exactly what you found so captivating about the whole ordeal - but hey, at least someone here liked it.

Surely it wasn't the creature designs he liked. It's crazy how Giger did none of the work on them - and you can really tell. One of the most important visual aspects of the movie, and the main motherfucker had no input. Madness.

• Upvote 1

I think the first few minutes of the film introducing David were some of the best bits, but then he just became sort of 2D after that. Sort of a wasted opportunity.

The best bit of his performance isn't even in the film.

I said it on another forum but agree that the video above and this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7YK2uKxil8

These were some of the best bits of the Promethus experience. I really hope they add them to the directors cut as they would fit in seamlessly especially Weylands speech. It really sets the tone of the movie where we as humans become 'gods' from the making of androids and where the film leads. Also it shows you what kind of person Weyland is and why he is important to the universe of Alien

I can't see how they would fit in at all, nevermind "seamlessly".

The best bit of his performance isn't even in the film.

The scene in the film where he poisons Logan Marshall-Green's character is far better.

My own two cents: average scfi with some interesting ideas, almost totally ruined by Shit characters

I like the idea of the Engineers having funny cultural / about death and sacrifice. On the wall in thy Giant Head room there was a mural of the xenomorph, I like to think that they found the aliens somewhere in space, and worshipped them as some epitome of death. Who knows what they looked like originally, given we know from the other movies they have a quite flexible genetic make up, but the Queen was probably quite close.

Having found them, the Engineers incorporated their dna into their religion and technology. There was a mural in the concept art for alien (can't find it now) which appeared to show the space jockeys infecting themselves voluntarily. I quite like that, as it shows that while the Engineers looked like us superficially, they were very alien themselves and had funny ideas. In that sense they belong in this cold, weird universe that maybe also has Predators in it.

One thing that was suggested in Prometheus was that their Goo was biomechanical, maybe that's why they are able to grow and develop so quickly without eating in the movies. Their Goo was casually dissolving the matter around them, feeding them and letting them grow, like the squid baby. Perhaps their blood isn't acid, but either engineered or naturally occurring nano technology.

So that's the stuff I like, and the look of the piece.

The moronic and unbelievable characters I did not. Apart from David, none of them felt like they belonged on a science ship. Nostromo was a big truck, the characters behaved accordingly. In Aliens the crew were all jarheads. Why not have a ship of believable scientists, who despite taking every precaution still get their shit fucked up, showing how out our depth us puny humans are in space? There were people on that ship who I wouldn't trust to do their job on a fishing boat, let alone an advanced starship. It's like they wanted to make them rough around the edges like in firefly, but forgot that was a crappy smuggling ship, not the personal plaything of the wealthiest human around.

Holloway in particular, he wrote the thesis that allowed David to learn the alien tongue, his only reason for being on the ship was to talk to the engineers... yet he didn't bother learning any of the writing or language himself? Unlikely. Also him and shaw were supposedly science nerds, archaeologists, wouldn't they not feel out of their depth at all on a corporate starship? Instead they act like they own the thing. It's like he was made as unlikeable as possible, so you would want him to die. Why not make him I likable nerd so you have some investment in his survival?

I keep thinking how I would have done it differently. Cut out the two pilots, just get Luther to fly the ship. Give him a role like Hudson in aliens, initially towing the company line, perhaps being concerned about shaw after she just watched her bf burn alive and see how fishy things are with David and weyland, not just play accordion and shag theron. Make the other scientists nervous and excited about being there, but kept in the dark like the guys in the chopper the day the earth stood still. blah, i dunno.

Also Shaw must be related to jack bauer and wolverine if she can run around after having a cesarian

• Upvote 1

I still can't get over the fact that on a "trillion dollar" mission, nobody thought it would be worth having a meet and greet and a buffet lunch before they left or the fact that most of the crew didn't appear to actually know what the mission was going to be. Where did they get these people? At this point I'm starting to think they must have just taken anyone who responded to an advert in the paper like this:

TdmEq.jpg

At this point I'm starting to think they must have just taken anyone who responded to an advert in the paper like this:

TdmEq.jpg

I'm sure you know this but there is a film coming out based on that advert:

• Upvote 1

All of the criticism has been very well written, however....sometimes a film is still a good film dispite all of these issues.

Sometimes a film is still good despite failing at almost everything it sets out to do?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I can't see how they would fit in at all, nevermind "seamlessly".

What do you mean, 'it wouldn't fit in at all'? Of course it would. The TED speech could have easily been the opener while the David Advert could be something David is watching on the ship. Really, these are some of the best bits, it'll be criminal if these weren't interspersed into the directors cut

That blog entry is amazing and I have no doubt that Damon Lindelof will have it pointed out to him and start quoting it in interviews as what he really meant for the film all along.

I was close!

fOUUC.png

I still can't get over the fact that on a "trillion dollar" mission, nobody thought it would be worth having a meet and greet and a buffet lunch before they left or the fact that most of the crew didn't appear to actually know what the mission was going to be. Where did they get these people? At this point I'm starting to think they must have just taken anyone who responded to an advert in the paper like this:

I don't think it is at all surprising that the crew were not told what the mission was about. I'd have been more surprised if they had been told, apart from people balls deep in Weyland Corp.

Sometimes a film is still good despite failing at almost everything it sets out to do?

It absolutely did not fail. Its great. So much to love, but so much to hate as well unfortunately.

But still, so much to love.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, but in the film they allude to breaking the seal on that room and altering its atmosphere. So those mealworms shouldn't have been able to live in there.

Why not?!? They're lien worms on an alien plannet....

Just because the chamber was sealed, it doesn't mean woms can't burrow in.....

What do you mean, 'it wouldn't fit in at all'? Of course it would. The TED speech could have easily been the opener while the David Advert could be something David is watching on the ship. Really, these are some of the best bits, it'll be criminal if these weren't interspersed into the directors cut

So David is on the ship watching a promotional video featuring himself (or if not himself then another of the same model). What would be the point of that? The initial sequence on the ship already establishes everything we need to know about him.

As for the TED speech, I fail to see what's so special. As a bit of viral marketing? Yeah, it's cool. But as a scene in a film, I'm not seeing it. The CGI looks poor, the script is heavy-handed enough without some long monologue that directly explains the Prometheus myth, and it's only tangentially relevant to the plot anyway. The Alien universe has also never featured real world companies/organisations. Why would you want it in place of the fantastic opening the film already has?

It'd be criminal if they were edited into the director's cut.

• Upvote 1