marlonharewood

Sci Fi recommendations

On 23/01/2018 at 15:08, pulsemyne said:

Yeah there is nothing special about the plots etc it's the characters and banter that make them good. So far book three is good.

New one came out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Team-Time-Titan-Tomorrow-ebook/dp/B078P52V4H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518439755&sr=8-2&keywords=space+team

Cal Carver's time is about to run out.

He and his Space Team are broke. Forced to take low-paying gun-for-hire jobs just to keep the food replicator working, their prospects are not looking good.

When they pick up a distress signal from a luxury space cruiser, they think their luck might be about to change. And it does. Sadly, not in the way they'd hoped.

Someone has detonated a Time Bomb aboard the cruiser - an experimental device designed to shatter time itself. As the team passes through the fragments, their personal timelines begin moving at very different speeds, and an ageing Cal is forced to live out decades aboard the ship surrounded by his now statue-like crew mates and the mutated, inbred descendants of the cruiser's former inhabitants.

As if that isn't bad enough, the Time Bomb was just a test for the real weapon - a weapon that could spell a fate worse than death for Space Team, and the enslavement of the entire galaxy.

Featuring giant space babies, reverse mermaids and the most dangerous man in existence, Space Team: The Time Titan of Tomorrow is the eighth fast and frantic adventure in the Space Team comedic scifi series.

I started the new one and within a couple of pages I'm laughing out loud at the banter and fuck ups. I'd love this to be a tv-series.

After the recommendations, I thought I'd pick up Blindsight. 

For me, it was very much a book of two halves - the first half I absolutely loved. Thought it had some really great ideas, and whilst it's most definitely 'hard' sci-fi, it wasn't anything I could wrap my head around (mostly :P ). 

The second half disappointed me a fair bit. It was still more than readable, but it felt like the whole thing turned into a fairly silly blockbuster sci-fi movie, and didn't think it fit especially well within the confines of the great earlier bits. 

So, slightly disappointed in the end, but glad I read it!

4 hours ago, JoeK said:

After the recommendations, I thought I'd pick up Blindsight. 

Just finished this too, together with the other novel set in the same universe, Echopraxia.  Lives up to it's billing as rock hard SF - basically a Cyberpunk first encounter scenario (or first and second over the two books) which also somehow features Vampires and Zombies. Oh, and our good friend Portia the spider, last seen starring in Children of Time.

Just finished "A deepness in the sky"  having read " A fire upon the deep"  a few months back by Vernor Vinge, as usual based on recommendations here. both have won Hugos so you know they're generally going to be  something decent but  these really are two outstanding sci-fi books. the last 200 or so pages of Deepness were some of the most gripping I have read in a while, top notch stuff.The universe itself with the zones is interesting and the respective alien races in both are brilliantly realised.

There could be some complaints about Deepness wrapping up a bit too quickly right at the end but they're minor ,  both  especially(for me)  "Deepness" are thoroughly recommended.

• Upvote 1