Scog

The iOS gaming thread

Ok last bragging about Super Hexagon post but I figured this may be interesting for anyone who wants to see a big run through.

This is like an advert for me not to buy this game. I'm not capable of that, no way no how. I'll buy the soundtrack though!

Ok last bragging about Super Hexagon post but I figured this may be interesting for anyone who wants to see a big run through. (You may not want to watch as it progresses through and spoils all the stages). :)

Oh well done, looks like those hacked scores on hard mode have been removed as well! :) I don't know how the horrible screen swings don't distract you more on hardestestest. Pah. I am still to break 30 seconds on that mode.

Ok last bragging about Super Hexagon post but I figured this may be interesting for anyone who wants to see a big run through. (You may not want to watch as it progresses through and spoils all the stages). :)

:o

star_trek_clap_clap_gif.gif

• Upvote 2

:D

This is like an advert for me not to buy this game. I'm not capable of that, no way no how. I'll buy the soundtrack though!

I was struggling to crack 10 seconds on the easiest stage when I first grabbed the game. Your brain inevitably adapts to the spinning and patterns and you'll gain muscle memory for timings without thinking about it. You'll notice yourself improving quicker than you would think! Excellent design.

Oh well done, looks like those hacked scores on hard mode have been removed as well! :) I don't know how the horrible screen swings don't distract you more on hardestestest. Pah. I am still to break 30 seconds on that mode.

I think the technique is to have memorised how long you need to hold for a certain distance rather than keeping up with where your triangle-guy is during a crazy spin. I say think because I'm not really very conscious when I play! If you can do 30 you can do 60 in that mode. Well worth it too as there's a nice suprise...

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the 30 second thing is a good measure, after that point it's just maintaining concentration (or more usually being in the zone). I'm pretty sure I'll crack it eventually, but I haven't really had any time to sit down and space out with it lately. It's hard to make progress in small bursts funnily enough.

I've been playing a bit of Carmageddon and it's very difficult - the physics and handling can send you all over the place, and you can try and do a quick turn but instead continue sliding sideways in the same direction as you were going. I tend to go for my old Carma 2 strategy of wasting all of the cars as opposed to completing the race but it takes a lot of work just to line up effective shots. It's still very satisfying when you're able to waste an opponent - in a way it kind of feels like Burnout 3's takedowns before Burnout 3 existed. The timer's pretty strict but that's what the pedestrians are there for (also, no green zombie blood; yay!) but I've still got to get used to this handling...

I was really enjoying Carmageddon until I fell foul of the compulsory iCloud saving and the way it apparently deletes your save if it can’t get through to iCloud. Given that I – and probably lots of people – play games while travelling, or in other areas that don’t have 100% 3G coverage, or even irresponsibly play games on my non-3G iPad when out and about, this is about the worst thing they could possibly have done.

I mean, what were they thinking? iCloud saves never fucking work anyway (for me at least) so making it the only way you can save games is idiotic. I assume it’s using iCloud, anyway, anyway – I don’t see any option to save locally, and I had a proper faff last night with it deleting my progress after I’d finished a race because it had found a more recent save midway through the game.

The game otherwise seems ace, so I’m slightly baffled that they’ve hobbled it in this way, as it means progress is pretty much impossible.

Might be a bit late if you've started a new game, but following the 'airplane mode on & off' method from here worked for me:

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/21558

True Skate is amazing (if exceedingly tricky to play well). Highly recommended.

It is! Plays much better if you use two fingers, which means its a lot more playable on the iPad. If only it were a little more open world it would be incredible

It is! Plays much better if you use two fingers, which means its a lot more playable on the iPad. If only it were a little more open world it would be incredible

Having played a bit more, I do think the one area is a bit cramped. There's really not much room to manouevre, to experiment with different lines etc. It's fine when it comes to individual tricks, but chaining them together is an issue. Still really good, though.

While I'm here, there's a new Kairosoft up - Pocket Clothier, which is pretty much as it sounds - and a new iNiS game published by Square-Enix called Symphonica about an orchestra conductor. Freemium, but seems a little more sensibly priced than Demon's Score.

I quite enjoyed what I played of Symphonica so far. I'm glad that Square put a reasonable amount of content up for free, I guess the extra content is quite expensive still but not as much as some of their past games on iOS. The touch controls and motions are really nicely integrated in this too.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Dark Meadow is on sale for £1.99 and ORC: Vengeance is 69p too. Both supposed to be quite good games.

You bastards, after seeing Happy Street mentioned countless times in this thread I downloaded it, expecting to delete in minutes. I spent the full weekend clicking on cars, restocking shops, making birds poo, cooking and crafting required potions and goods, and obsessing how soon I could upgrade my buildings.

It is all hopelessly pointless, and although it rips off animal crossing in many ways, you cant help but fall for its charm.

I think for my own sanity though I will need to limit its time on my phone to around a week. My GF is already getting p*ssed off looking up and catching me doing another quick couple of minutes of management with my villagers.

• Upvote 3

I'm really not sure what I'm doing in Plague, Inc.

I seem to be just tapping pop-ups and buying random crap... not sure where the strategy is?

Its all in your choices of what you upgrade and when. Also, where you start your plague. For example, starting in China obviously means you infect more people than starting in France but the quick spread might get you noticed more. Then you have to choose; do you try and spread non- lethally to more countries or mutate quickly to prevent a cure being worked up but risk killing people fast and therefore halting your own spread.

It's not a game fr everyone but I'm still playing after three months and I'm only on Level 3. It's super rock hard bastardise tough.

I'm steering well clear of the Walking Dead thread so I'll say this here. Episode 3 is out and IT IS WONDERFUL. By far the most delightful experience on my iPad so far.

Is this series worth getting on the iPad, then? Identical to the 360 version? Was worried it would run like a dog.

I'm steering well clear of the Walking Dead thread so I'll say this here. Episode 3 is out and IT IS WONDERFUL. By far the most delightful experience on my iPad so far.

Awesome. Ep 2 took about two months of trying before it finally allowed me to download it last week; just hope this one doesn't give me the same issue.

Is this series worth getting on the iPad, then? Identical to the 360 version? Was worried it would run like a dog.

No idea how it compares to the 360, but it's definitely an excellent game in my book. Runs perfectly on an iPad 3.