rllmuk
ZOK

Yacht Rock

It's a lovely thread. Sadly, it looks like the hull has fallen into disrepair again, with broken links a plenty, and barnacles covering many of the YouTube links.

I think a period of dry dock is required to get her shipshape again.

yard.jpg

• Upvote 1

A new compilation has been released on cd/lp/mp3 with 19 tracks of Yacht Rock style tracks, most of which I am unfamiliar with. Thinking of picking up a copy of the cd for summer days.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Too-Slow-Disco-Various-artists/dp/B00JX6AYXA/ref=sr_1_2_bnp_1_mus?ie=UTF8&qid=1400011682&sr=8-2&keywords=too+slow+to+disco

I went to the Indie Label Market yesterday and was confronted with the vinyl of this. It's lovely, the sleeve notes are ace, the whole thing is pretty and it's got a poster with it. Everybody loves a poster.

It's ace too, although it dances on the edge of Yacht Rock in my opinion. But y'know. Pretty smooth going.

Recommend.

I went to the Indie Label Market yesterday and was confronted with the vinyl of this. It's lovely, the sleeve notes are ace, the whole thing is pretty and it's got a poster with it. Everybody loves a poster.

It's ace too, although it dances on the edge of Yacht Rock in my opinion. But y'know. Pretty smooth going.

Recommend.

It's a much better compilation than that dodgy Yacht Rock one that was released a few weeks back

5352091.jpg

That has some very questionable selections on it. I mean Fat Larry's Band's Zoom. No way is that Yacht Rock...well not on my boat anyway.

That dodgy one is on Spotify in full. It's basically a decent one disc compilation padded out with inappropriate-but-known stuff. 1987 Fleetwood Mac - it's good, but it's not right.

I know so little, I would have thought Tango In the Night was pure yacht rock?

Is that other compilation good then?

This is the most important thread on the whole damned forum.

It sounds sort of similar, but it's not right. Too late for a start, but that's definitely that other genre that no-one knows (ie. I don't know) the name of. Still smooth, but over-produced 80s smooth. Takes in Travelling Wilburys, Thomspon Twins, Mike and the Mechanics, Roachford, etc. Basically Music Made For CDs That Came After Synthpop. If anyone knows if this has a genre name...

Too Slow To Disco is ace. Slightly too inland sometimes, but they're all cool songs.

It sounds sort of similar, but it's not right. Too late for a start, but that's definitely that other genre that no-one knows (ie. I don't know) the name of. Still smooth, but over-produced 80s smooth. Takes in Travelling Wilburys, Thomspon Twins, Mike and the Mechanics, Roachford, etc. Basically Music Made For CDs That Came After Synthpop. If anyone knows if this has a genre name...Too Slow To Disco is ace. Slightly too inland sometimes, but they're all cool songs.

I have had a listen to that Spotify collection, and there is a lot of stuff that I would class as AOR or soft rock. Certainly some very rum choices, shipmates, that's for sure.