rllmuk
ZOK

Yacht Rock

I've been meaning to make this for ages and finally found a bit of time over christmas. I present to you Welcome Aboard Vol 1! It is for anyone who likes yacht rock, shuffly disco and tasteful re-edits. It is however not for anyone likely to take offence that someone's fiddled about with their favourite records. Anyway, enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/greg-deacon/welcome-aboard-vol-1

Steely Dan - Black Cow

Ambrosia - Dancin' By Myself (Northern Rascal Extension)

Phil Collins - I'm Not Moving (Idjut Boys Edit)

Toto - Georgy Porgy (Satin Jackets Edit)

Whitesnake - Is This Love? (New Found Land Edit)

Hall & Oates - Running From Paradise (Tigerstripes Edit)

Steve Perry - Foolish Heart (Genuine Fraud Edit)

Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere (Psychemagik Edit)

Boz Scaggs - Lowdown (Greg Wilson Edit)

Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running (Yosaku Blue Eye Soul Re-Edit)

Ace - How Long (B11 Edit)

Ace - How Long

Christopher Cross - Ride Like the Wind

Frank Stallone - Music is Magic

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street (Quite Little Town Edit)

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

I've been meaning to make this for ages and finally found a bit of time over christmas. I present to you Welcome Aboard Vol 1! It is for anyone who likes yacht rock, shuffly disco and tasteful re-edits. It is however not for anyone likely to take offence that someone's fiddled about with their favourite records. Anyway, enjoy!

Steely Dan - Black Cow

Ace - How Long

You are no architect nor marine biologist, you are a man of the navy!

Steely Dan - Black Cow

Ace - How Long

Fantastic job, very very smooth.

As a point of interest Art, I'm interested in how you put this together. As you know I know nothing about mixing more modern than using a pair of turntables and a mixer, so if you wouldn't mind giving a potted explanation of what you used that would be really interesting for me.

Also, what is the source of all the edits? Are there loads of people fiddling around with these sort of tunes or something?

Firstly, glad you guys enjoyed it! Secondly, to answer your question, ZOK, it's all mixed live on CD turntables essentially. I just burned the tracks onto some CDRs and recorded to Audacity on my Mac. I overlaid the ocean noises after as I don't have a third audio source with which I could play three tracks concurrently. Well, I have two vinyl turntables but no means to play the edits on there if you see what I mean. So it's pretty traditional really.

As for the source of these edits, well I'd had that Ace one for ages and the Phil Collins, Boz Scaggs and Toto ones are pretty well known so just spent a few days trawling Soundcloud and your new favourite website AOR Disco to find some edits of tunes I wanted to use, sandwiched them between some originals and Bob's your uncle! I meant to edit some myself but I needed to do it fairly quickly as I need to submit it to someone to get a graveyard spot at a festival this summer.

Thanks for that Art, I was listening again tonight, really lovely set of tunes. I've been toying with the idea of getting some sort of cd mixing set up at some point myself as I don't have the space to get the turntables out on a regular enough basis to make it worth the hassle.

Now I'm listening through the iPad and the recording quality doesn't sound high. Is that a) because I'm listening through the iPad! b ) because of how you've recorded it (Audacity?) or c) because of soundcloud? Apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm not very technical.

Many thanks for that link to AOR by the way, looks brilliant!

Hmm, could be any of those I guess, apart from your iPad. I suspect it's a couple of the original tracks letting the side down; some of them are obviously vinyl rips or they've just done something odd when producing them. They're all 320kps or wav quality and Audacity is pretty robust. Thanks for letting me know though, I don't have much of a clue about this kind of thing.

You should definitely get some CDJs though, ZOK. Although I can't say they've ever got as much use as my turntables but they're great for stuff like this. With a fair wind my long suffering girlfriend might let me move all my vinyls in when we shack up. The lucky girl.

Steely Dan - Black Cow

Ace - How Long

Thank you so much for this piece of awesomeness. <3

• Upvote 2

Not 100% Yacht Rock but this little mix/compilation by Rob Pursey entitled "Real Man Music" is worth a listen.

Lonely_man-back.jpg

DOWNLOAD

Some great tracks in there. I honestly didn't know Roger Sanchez sampled TOTO for that god-awful Another Chance single way back when. I Won't Hold You Back is totally amazing.

• Upvote 1

BIg fan of a lot of the artists in this thread, especially Steely Dan and Michael Macdonald and am reading through this thread for the first time.

Suffice to say BIG thanks to all involved in the thread, can't wait to listen to/get/burn/compile some playlists now. :hat:

Yacht Rock! :omg:

[media=]

Tullio De Piscopo - Stop Bajon

Wow! How did I miss this. I have the Warehouse Rave album this is linked to and remember loving this track at the time. Haven't heard it in about 15 years. Still sounds magnificent as well! Love the piano, the rhodes, the laid back back bass. I'm laying on my boat in the Med, a G&T in hand, deck shoes, panama..... Bliss!