Stilly

Coffee

Picked up a used Rancilio Silvia recently and the seller chucked in an old grinder. Was getting pretty crap results and was worried I was never going to get decent coffee. After more reading I decided to get a Rancilio rocky grinder. I was worried that spending more money might be a waste of time but the results have been brilliant. I’m managing to make coffee as good as most coffee shops. Totally recommend both machines. Admittedly it’s obviously more work and more time consuming than  an automatic machine but it’s quite a nice ritual to go through. 

On 26/12/2018 at 18:26, Fusty Gusset said:

Start with boiling water from the kettle before putting it on the stove, you’ll just cook the grounds if you’re not careful. 

Tried this today rather than making it with cold water and heating gradually. Other than it being quicker I couldn't really taste any difference. Is there a reason other than time that this is recommended over the cold water way mentioned in the instructions?

On 14/12/2018 at 08:40, Mr Majestyk said:

We got a Delonghi bean 2 cup machine a week ago and it's been a game changer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Magnifica-ESAM-4200-S-Silver/dp/B001EOMZ5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544776598&sr=8-1&keywords=delonghi+magnifica

Great coffee with minimal hassle in the morning. So much so Mrs Majestyk has taken the Nespresso to her work. So far we've only used Gordon Street Coffee's Glasgow Roast on it, which has been really smooth to drink. Shall hopefully be getting a variety of beans for my Christmas to try out. 

I also got this for Xmas, and am in love :wub:.

As a tip, register your machine online here: http://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/register/selector to get a free bundle of goodies shipped to your home, including three bags of Union coffee beans, and an extra de-scaler pack. 

You need your machine's serial number though, so have to do it at home. Mine just arrived: 

1257043657_WhatsAppImage2019-01-03at08_56_20.thumb.jpeg.5636f2167dd7ab39cc9cb838c0c05a4d.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I got a stove top pot for Christmas and it makes lovely but incredibly strong coffee so I'm finding it a little much for one does anyone else find this?

17 hours ago, Fletch said:

I got a stove top pot for Christmas and it makes lovely but incredibly strong coffee so I'm finding it a little much for one does anyone else find this?

Yeah it makes espresso strength coffee.

I picked up a limited edition Peruvian single origin from M&S yesterday. A bit more depth than some single origins I've had recently, with slightly caramel after notes. Definitely one you can drink a few of over the day.

I went with a medium grind, in a cafetiére, and a pour over and they both came out well.

Alright boiz, I've got myself a hand grinder and aeropress winging its way to me for tomorrow. What are some good starter beans? I've been looking through the thread and have seen Modern Standard (available at Sainsburys), Union Coffee as above, @MechE's M&S and @Fusty Gusset mentioned James Formula 6. 

I'd rather go for something I can pick up from a supermarket. 

Also, some of these blends are espresso blends(like Formula 6). Presumably in a aeropress I'll want a cafetiere blend?

I always find supermarket beans disappointing for espresso. Do you have any coffee shops that sell beans near you? Then again, if you're looking cafetiere blends maybe they're all you need, the Union Coffee gets my seal of approval in that case and we get it from Ocado at work so I assume other supermarkets have it too.

• Upvote 1

I picked up a Morphy Richards Filter coffee maker for a £1 (eBay), primarily so that the wife can easily take a coffee with her to work rather than stopping and buying one each morning.

I've been mainly using Wilfa grinder with Aeropress (with scales etc) to make coffee and have a recipe, but I'd like some input on how to go about using the coffee maker.

I just want to make enough for 4 brews. So should I just multiply up from the amount I'd use in Aeropress to make 4 filter brews? (15g x 4 = 60g) Or experiment and up the weight a little?

Anyone have any experience?

Beans I get from a place in Sheffield: https://foundrycoffeeroasters.com/

I'm currently sipping my first aeropress cup and it's not bad at all. Aldi beans, just because I happened to be there this morning.

How far off espresso grind is a fine filter grind? It took ages to grind 17g of beans in my hand grinder. Ok for weekends but not for a daily cuppa.

I gotta be honest, I've tried all kinds of beans, and you know what my favourite is?

qualita-rossa-1kg-beans-web.png

And no, not their espresso beans, the normal ones you see above, despite putting them in my machine that, well, makes espresso. A great coffee, every time. :)

• Upvote 2

Will have to give them a try.

I tried an inverted method cup and made quite possibly the most bitter cup of coffee I've had in my life. I think this is more to do with the grind size though - I think it was far too fine.

Continuing my previous comments, where can I get some good burnt tasting oily black filthy beans for espresso that are like the Starbucks ones but I can get delivered so that I don't have to keep going to Starbucks to buy more beans?

On 11/02/2019 at 10:57, Thor said:

I gotta be honest, I've tried all kinds of beans, and you know what my favourite is?

And no, not their espresso beans, the normal ones you see above, despite putting them in my machine that, well, makes espresso. A great coffee, every time. :)

I buy pre-ground but Lavazza Rossa is my absolute favourite, more so then their more expensive one or any artisan one for that matter. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/02/2019 at 18:57, Thor said:

I just bought a bag for my bean to cup as always liked them, drinking a cup now and you’re not wrong - they are just great, nothing fancy about them but just a nice cup of coffee. My cup is a 2 shot + water form temp controlled kettle and it’s perfick :) 

• Upvote 1