robdood

Demon's Souls

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43990.html?type=flv

An interesting trailer, appeared in my RSS last night... Starts off looking a bit gash (aside from lovely pre-renderedness) but slowly looked more cool as the trailer went on.. I'm kinda interested biggrin.gif

Does anyone know anything about it, or looking forward to it?

Update : PS4 rumours:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/21/demons-souls-exclusive-ps4-spin-off-teased-by-industry-tipster-rumour/

Update 2: eventually became Bloodborne

certainly trying to up God of War/SoTC in the big-fuckoff-bosses category of gaming.

looks good, that big fat bastard with a huge butchers knife looked especially interesting

Yeah looked OK.

I'm a sucker for this kinda high fantasy stuff. Combat and movement looked a bit sluggish.

I guess it can't be any worse than Heavenly Sword, actually if they smeared dog faeces onto a Blu-Ray disc it wouldn't be worse than Heavenly Sword

• Upvote 1

I'm interested in this but there was some TGS gameplay footage from last year which didn't look too hot. Now I'm hoping of course that was back then and it's been improved a lot but I'll wait for some review/impressions before buying it.

The cool thing about the game is that it should be getting an english asian release in February at the same time as the Japanese only release, I don't think it's been confirmed for any release in North America or Europe yet.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oOufiJ13Ezc

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDfoifNrnE

Holy shit the trailer music is awful :P

It looks pretty neat in an okimgonnasitdownandplaythisforabititllberelaxingsmashsomefaces way.

Fucking shit name, mind.

Yeah, really rolls off the tongue.

It really does look like total shit, but I'm kinda hoping (for some reason) that there's be some amazing japancustomisation going on.. The trailer shows a few different weapons, if there's a parry system and lots of armour/weapons/stuff to collect it could be mega, in a shit-psone-game way :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone getting the asian PS3 release next week ?

I must say that I'm tempted, especially since the asian version is supposed to be in english. I'm not even sure if I'll end up enjoying it but there's just something about it I really like....

If either this or Ninja Blade turn out to be the rightful heir of Otogi, I'll be happy.

It still looks like a supersweet game, and is obviously probably only made possible through exploiting the raw power of the 3. [simile].

Lot more information and videos doing the rounds now.

25mins worth of video, taken from what looks like a japanese games show. (thanks to Guymelef at Neogaf who found these)

It certainly looks to be running at a much better, smoother framerate than the bad TG08 footage. There's obviously more moves to the combat that what's shown in the videos, you can see glimpses of it, though it's obviously the girls playing are just spamming the same move (plus no other weapons are shown either). It looks like you start the game, do a prologue type part and then restart for the full game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz-E6xed06o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMkZPQx_tM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmlwOqolD6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7KppPO0Hw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2D7NP1ISY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_laoUGcPJ4

Also, some translated info about online play which certainly sounds interesting (thanks to WYWY at NeoGAF for the translation)

'The network details aren't very clear .... the way the official site describes the whole thing, many things are still vague.

After going through a few times I think I get the picture - network play is not exactly MMO, but there are some MMO-ish systems. Most of the time online players play in their own "local online copy" of an area (no explicit mention of co-op online yet, but I won't be surprised if it's there), but they can interact with other players that are playing in their own "local online copy" of the same area in interesting ways.

If a player perishes, he becomes a soul entity. He becomes visible to other online players as a soul sign. Other online players in the area can summon the deceased one as a phantom. A maximum of two summons. The phantom player that is summoned can cooperate with the "living" player to be resurrected (no details how). Then they can co-operate to clear difficult areas.

You can also see the images of other online players. That is you may be practically in an area alone - but other players who are online and playing the same area may become visible as "ghost images". So players can aid other players by actually writing and drawing messages and hints on the map - and these appear as ghostly words/images to the other online players. Players may also see images of others disappearing into a wall - giving them a clue that there's a secret door.

If a player perishes, he leaves a blood patch and other online players will get the blood patch. They may also see a ghostly replay of the deceased player's demise. This serves as another interactive warning system - "uh this place is full of blood patches on the ground..."

Under game system, the 'soul' currency system is introduced. 'Soul' is the universal currency for leveling-up and purchasing items. Ten character classes are available. Knight, magician, thief and cleric are explicitly listed so far. Class determines starting stats and equipment.

Official site was just updated today. Link in the first post.

Added all remaining character classes, weapons, NPCs and more demon bosses. A few more area screenshots.

Network play - well it didn't really clarify any more about the previous issues raised, just added two more network mode explanations:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official site was just updated today. Link in the first post.

Added all remaining character classes, weapons, NPCs and more demon bosses. A few more area screenshots.

Network play - well it didn't really clarify any more about the previous issues raised, just added two more network mode explanations:

"Soul Direction"

The actions of all logged-on players affect the gameworld. Absolutely no explanation about how this system works. Depending on the actions of all the players, the monster population, items type and distribution, strength of phantoms, etc. will change in different areas. An inaccessible area may suddenly become accessible, with a ladder appearing, etc. (See screenshots on site).

Network Invasion - PVP!

To start, no there is no info as to whether this can be 'switched off' if you login. Also no info how another player is selected, etc.... All it says is that if a player has a specific "black stone" special item and perishes, he can invade the gameworld of another player as a "black phantom". Win and he gets resurrected. Lose and he loses "soul level". The "black phantom" form will be of a higher level than the deceased player is currently at.'

Some screenshots (thanks to cruets at NeoGAF who found the english menu shots)

em2.jpg

em1.jpg

ds12.jpg

ds13.jpg

ds11.jpg

ds10.jpg

ds9.jpg

ds8.jpg

ds7.jpg

ds6.jpg

ds5.jpg

ds4.jpg

ds3.jpg

ds2.jpg

ds1.jpg

If either this or Ninja Blade turn out to be the rightful heir of Otogi, I'll be happy.

It still looks like a supersweet game, and is obviously probably only made possible through exploiting the raw power of the 3. [simile].

From the looks of things, this doesn't really have anything to do with Otogi. Otogi was all about the aerial combat, where-as Demon's Souls looks more like Phantasy Star Online with rather murky visuals and uninspired art design.

Unless things change drastically from those YouTube videos at later points in the game.

A cursory glance at Ninja Blade suggests that it is aiming its sights at Ninja Gaiden. (That last sentence deserves a "no shit, Sherlock," of course). Maybe I'm not looking close enough, but that would, to me, kind of exclude it from the running for the "heir to Otogi" mantle too.

I'll grant that in retrospect, Otogi didn't quite hit the targets it was aiming at (Cacky was half right in this respect), but at least it tried to do things differently, both in terms of design sensibilities and in its approach to a well trodden genre.

An attitude that seems to be sorely missing this generation.

(Goodness, I'm turning into a right gloom monger, aren't I?)

I'll grant that in retrospect, Otogi didn't quite hit the targets it was aiming at (Cacky was half right in this respect), but at least it tried to do things differently, both in terms of design sensibilities and in its approach to a well trodden genre.

My problem with Otogi was purely functional; as it had no combat depth, a wonky camera and an odd learning curve (the second to last level being oddly nails when you had to hit those enemies through panes of glass with pin-point precision, something the game hadn't prepared you for at all). Visually, it was suitably sumptuous but it played worse than the PSone era Soukaigi. The sequel was a bit better, as it had more playable characters with greater combat diversity, but it suffered from the awful camera of the first game plus the insane nonsense of excessive particle effects. To the extent you could barely see what was going on most of the time.

Otogi didn't do anything (functionally) new, it just did them again and badly.

Demon Souls is the successor to Kings Field, in case anyone was wondering.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My problem with Otogi was purely functional; as it had no combat depth, a wonky camera and an odd learning curve (the second to last level being oddly nails when you had to hit those enemies through panes of glass with pin-point precision, something the game hadn't prepared you for at all). Visually, it was suitably sumptuous but it played worse than the PSone era Soukaigi. The sequel was a bit better, as it had more playable characters with greater combat diversity, but it suffered from the awful camera of the first game plus the insane nonsense of excessive particle effects. To the extent you could barely see what was going on most of the time.

Otogi didn't do anything (functionally) new, it just did them again and badly.

Demon Souls is the successor to Kings Field, in case anyone was wondering.

I've got to agree. I never got what people saw in either of the Otogi games. The combat was mostly button bashing, and the stages were dull. The destructible environments made it quite satisfying at first, but the appeal didn't really last for me.

All I remember from Otogi is "NONE SHALL PASS!" repeated about a kazillion times. And pretty lame combat. Nice looking game with great destruction though.

• Downvote 1

Looks standard and a bit loljapanbudget - That's not a bad thing at all. Looks traditional, hardcore. Is this Unreal Engine 3 then? Floaty ragdoll corpses all over the place!

Update: Holy shit the combat looks pretty gash actually, especially in the confined areas. Looks sooo stiff!

Looks standard and a bit loljapanbudget - That's not a bad thing at all. Looks traditional, hardcore. Is this Unreal Engine 3 then? Floaty ragdoll corpses all over the place!

Update: Holy shit the combat looks pretty gash actually, especially in the confined areas. Looks sooo stiff!

The problem is that the guy playing isn't using everything at his disposal, I've seen some pretty cool stuff and the odd fancy moves he's pulled off but it's as if he's treating the game as a standard hack and slasher when it clearly isn't. Combat's not supposed to be fast on purpose, there's a lot of weight to your body/weapons/movements (which is ace) and everything can kill you easily if you let it. It's definitely very hardcore and it looks great, can't wait to play it.

I also love the way there's little to no BGM in the game, the atmosphere really comes across, even in the stream.

The problem is that the guy playing isn't using everything at his disposal, I've seen some pretty cool stuff and the odd fancy moves he's pulled off but it's as if he's treating the game as a standard hack and slasher when it clearly isn't. Combat's not supposed to be fast on purpose, there's a lot of weight to your body/weapons/movements (which is ace) and everything can kill you easily if you let it. It's definitely very hardcore and it looks great, can't wait to play it.

I also love the way there's little to no BGM in the game, the atmosphere really comes across, even in the stream.

Yeah, I noticed the weight thing but it just made the game look a bit... slow zzz. The guy playing it was probably a bit rubbish but it seemed like attacking just triggered a long animation that you can't snap out of, it didn't seem very direct. Not having played it though, I could be completely wrong - I have no idea how the thing feels. I am definitely interested in this as I have a massive weakness for japan-GO-QUEST-SLASH-UPGRADE-ITEMS-UNLOCK-MOVES-FIGHT-A-BOSS. So very moreish and so very NES!

• Downvote 1

Yeah, I noticed the weight thing but it just made the game look a bit... slow zzz. The guy playing it was probably a bit rubbish but it seemed like attacking just triggered a long animation that you can't snap out of, it didn't seem very direct. Not having played it though, I could be completely wrong - I have no idea how the thing feels. I am definitely interested in this as I have a massive weakness for japan-GO-QUEST-SLASH-UPGRADE-ITEMS-UNLOCK-MOVES-FIGHT-A-BOSS. So very moreish and so very NES!

It looks like there are different classes to create as well etc. Got to see a bit of the function where if you die sometimes another player online randomly jumps in and tries to kill you in order to resuscitate themselves in their game. Unfortunately the guy got spanked as this other player was of a different class and flipping around like nobodies business.

There was a massive boss fight earlier on in the footage which I missed (feckin work!). Let's just say the guy died a lot apparently :)

Also, looks like the asian version has been delayed until February 24th.

Got the Asian version of this through today, reading about this and being fan of From games piqued my interest. The game is basically a 3rd person dungeon crawl type affair. The first level is a huge castle which you have to explore, overcoming traps and enemies. The level design is really good, with secret acreas to look for, and balconies etc which look onto other areas of the castle which give a real sense of 'place'. There's a Rouge element as well - there are no saves mid level, and when you die, you go back to the beginning, albeit with the same equipment you died with.

The twist is that your character has two states, real and soul. When you die, you enter your soul state, and HP is diminished by about 1/3. You can't leave soul state unless you defeat a demon (a boss essentially), are revived by another player or use a special item,(which I haven't come across yet).

You can see other people running aorund the level playing the game, but other than gestures, you can't interact with them or affect their game unless you revive from their soul state so that they can assist you (not sure how this works yet).

There's a nice heavy feeling to the combat, and button mashing will get you nowhere. The graphics are nice enough, but the ragdoll physics are terrible - you can get your feet caught up with corpses and drag them around). The sound is great, very minimal music, meaty combat sound. The atmosphere, certainly for the first level, has an Ico quality about it, which is refreshing.

Really impressed with this so far, hopefully this will be given a Western release. The Asian version is all English apart from the manual, which comes with one of the usual short guide sheets.

If the rest of the game is as good as the first level, it really isn't dross. The sense of scale is really good, seeing a couple of sleeping dragons on a hill in the distance from a castle parapet, going up to said dragons and getting roasted for example. Definately one for the fans of Shiren etc - you die. A lot.

If the rest of the game is as good as the first level, it really isn't dross. The sense of scale is really good, seeing a couple of sleeping dragons on a hill in the distance from a castle parapet, going up to said dragons and getting roasted for example.

I've watched the first two chapters being completed, and well, I wouldn't go so far and call it impressive. The sense of scale is certainly good, but the game itself looks like your usual Japanathon-Power-Up-Some-Weapons-Do-Some-Combos (which is fucking awesome)

The twist is that your character has two states, real and soul. When you die, you enter your soul state, and HP is diminished by about 1/3. You can't leave soul state unless you defeat a demon (a boss essentially), are revived by another player or use a special item,(which I haven't come across yet).

You can see other people running aorund the level playing the game, but other than gestures, you can't interact with them or affect their game unless you revive from their soul state so that they can assist you (not sure how this works yet).

Pretty neat.

• Downvote 1