robdood

Demon's Souls

12 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

You've missed a flaming long sword, really good against fire weak enemies. One can be found fairly early on, I think it's 2-2.

Are you talking to people back at the Nexus? It was a long time ago, but I think people you meet or rescue in the game eventually turn up there, and they offer different services.

Once you've finished the game it's worthwhile looking at this web site 

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com

It lists every object you can make of find in the game.

I got into the habit of walking around and having a quick word with the various folk at the Nexus, although most seemed less than cooperative. They have mostly died or disappeared. I am fairly sure one wanted me to kill him as some form of penitence but I didn't which is quite unlike me as, out in the world, I have a habit of killing most NPC's bar traders. That fella has gone too now...

I would very much like a flaming sword as many things have been weak to fire. I'll look at the wiki prior to my next playthrough..

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I got into the habit of walking around and having a quick word with the various folk at the Nexus, although most seemed less than cooperative. They have mostly died or disappeared. I am fairly sure one wanted me to kill him as some form of penitence but I didn't which is quite unlike me as, out in the world, I have a habit of killing most NPC's bar traders. That fella has gone too now...

There's a bit of a murder mystery in the Nexus, it's like a soap opera.

It all hinges on your actions and it's possible to finish the game with most, if not all, of the characters alive.

33 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

There's a bit of a murder mystery in the Nexus, it's like a soap opera.

It all hinges on your actions and it's possible to finish the game with most, if not all, of the characters alive.

The lack of exposition, and all this lore and stories playing out through actions that the player is mostly oblivious too has always been one of my favourite elements of these games. I bumble through blindly, probably doing more harm than good if judged by how many of the original Nexus cast remain..

35 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I used that sword found in 2-2 for my entire play through, as I recall. Found it in the fiery tunnels somewhere I think...

I’ve just been through area two from start to finish and still do not have this fabled flaming sword!

It is either the sword stuck in the stone behind pillars that I am now worried I should have encouraged the dragon fella to smash ir it is that one item I can see but cannot work out how to get to. It’s on a ledge over a gap in the tunnels and I have made many attempts to work my way round to it, without success. Or else it’s a in an area that I have somehow missed entirely but I don’t think that is the case...

4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I’ve just been through area two from start to finish and still do not have this fabled flaming sword!

It is either the sword stuck in the stone behind pillars that I am now worried I should have encouraged the dragon fella to smash ir it is that one item I can see but cannot work out how to get to. It’s on a ledge over a gap in the tunnels and I have made many attempts to work my way round to it, without success. Or else it’s a in an area that I have somehow missed entirely but I don’t think that is the case...

I seem to remember that it was behind one of those giant bug things (the ones that explode).  I think it was crawling in the tunnel (near the lava lake area) and you can pop behind it.

It was a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mike S said:

You can only get that sword with Pure White World Tendency.

On the subject of which don’t get me started...

8 hours ago, Andy XC said:

I seem to remember that it was behind one of those giant bug things (the ones that explode).  I think it was crawling in the tunnel (near the lava lake area) and you can pop behind it.

It was a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy.

Yeah, that’s what I remember too. I was chuffed at the time because I was delving far too deep quite early on. Was a good bit of loot to discover in what felt like the bowels of hell.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

You can only get that sword with Pure White World Tendency.

I don't think that's true, btw.  

I'm talking about the one by the Dragon God boss, as was MikeS I think. "The one stuck in the stone behind pillars" he said. That's the one I was referring to. Someone in here told me that PWWT was needed, IIRC.

Edit: Just googled it - I'm correct, it's just that Mike's post mentioned several swords and I didn't make it clear which my reply was referring to, probably because I was on the toilet at the time birthing my very own chunk of pure Bladestone. 

The other sword I know about because as posted above I found it - in the fiery tunnel.

• Upvote 4

I don’t know what pure white world tendency is or if I have it.  Assume I don’t though as I can’t take that big sword (yep, @Davros sock drawer is right, the one near the Dragon God).

I will go back and look around those tunnels again although I really dislike those big fiery bugs as they take so much time to whittle down..I really want a fiery sword though and am annoyed that I can see something but have been unable to get to it. I ha e a few more inaccessible items through the game that I think I’ll go back and try and get to as well..

That said, I have now discovered that the tunnel blacksmith will make me weapons from all the demons souls I have! Promoted by @MrSpiggott mentioning that I should really be talking to folk more I went and had full chats with all the Nexus characters and any others I met whilst looking fir this damn sword. The smithy coughed up his secrets and now I have a very fancy new sword rendered from my Kilim. No flames, but it sure looks awesome. I can’t believe that I’ve missed out on this wealth of new gear  until I am so close to the end game. The item fella took that comb I’d be carrying around forever too so that was nice..

I also found another NPC  lurking in the tunnels who I am sure wasn’t there too long ago..

This may not be my favourite soulsborne game but, man, it is still so much better than 95% of games and fantastic to look at and see how From refined and tweaked the mechanics with subsequent releases.

EDIT: I now wonder if that smithy can do something with the seemingly endless number, and variety, of shards and chunks that I have accumulated?!

15 minutes ago, Mike S said:

EDIT: I now wonder if that smithy can do something with the seemingly endless number, and variety, of shards and chunks that I have accumulated?!

Welcome to the world of stone farming. :)

15 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I’ve been an accidental farmer so far but, if this is my route to flaming weaponry, then I will happily go full time...

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I'm talking about the one by the Dragon God boss, as was MikeS I think. "The one stuck in the stone behind pillars" he said. That's the one I was referring to. Someone in here told me that PWWT was needed, IIRC.

Edit: Just googled it - I'm correct, it's just that Mike's post mentioned several swords and I didn't make it clear which my reply was referring to, probably because I was on the toilet at the time birthing my very own chunk of pure Bladestone. 

The other sword I know about because as posted above I found it - in the fiery tunnel.

Yeah the bone crusher (I think it is called) needs PWWT.  I remember the first time I picked it up, I didn't have enough spare in my equipment capacity (I didn't have that Herculean ring [or the other one] equipped).  Failed to pick up the sword and it then disappeared for that playthrough, I wasn't happy.

I just wish Sir Jonamok had more than two fingers, so I could equip a load more of my rings. Wearing Cling and Thief's most of the time, but as a Soul Arrow addict, I could really use Fragrant on there, and occasionally the healing one and herculean one too. Damned two-fingered fool.

Also, even with the Thief's on, so the Rays leave me be, I still fucking hate the start of 4-2. I'm shit at killing the cliffside path skellies, and when I finally got through the six of them without mishap (lots of freefall) I enter a fog door, toddle along a narrow stone walkway and promptly get one-shotted by some beam-of-magic-light-fucker - through my heater shield. Arrrggh. Fuck 4-2, I went to Latria instead. Got to the boss first go, and died just as I was about to finish her. Arrrgggh. Will get her tonight.

I hate/love this game. But, man, I really miss bonfires.

32 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I hate/love this game. But, man, I really miss bonfires

Pfft, the later games got so over-generous with the bonfires tbh!! :P 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I just wish Sir Jonamok had more than two fingers, so I could equip a load more of my rings. Wearing Cling and Thief's most of the time, but as a Soul Arrow addict, I could really use Fragrant on there, and occasionally the healing one and herculean one too. Damned two-fingered fool.

Also, even with the Thief's on, so the Rays leave me be, I still fucking hate the start of 4-2. I'm shit at killing the cliffside path skellies, and when I finally got through the six of them without mishap (lots of freefall) I enter a fog door, toddle along a narrow stone walkway and promptly get one-shotted by some beam-of-magic-light-fucker - through my heater shield. Arrrggh.

I hate/love this game. But, man, I really miss bonfires.

I never was confident enough to take the Cling Ring off the whole way through, let alone play in (woooooaaahhh!) body-form.

I probably spent longer in 4-2 than most of the other areas. My grinding technique:

Spoiler

Equip bow, run out and hit the two mantas outside the door. At the top of the cliff path, hit the middle skeleton with an arrow; he'll always roll off the cliff if you do. Hit the right skeleton to bring him up the path. He'll roll against the small ledge at the top so just hit him with a spear. Then run down to get rid of the archer skeleton.

Use the arrow on the manta ray that can attack you from that ledge (I can never get this first time, so have to dodge) and take care of the others below for bonus souls. Then arrow one of the gold skeletons to kite him up. Switch to a blunt weapon (blessed mace in my case). Keep a distance until he does the move where he swings the sword overhead into the ground then run in and attack. Do the same for the other.

For the ghostly things, my kite shield and high soul level did the job, but I've been told using an anti-magic shield / ring can help. I then just poked them with a spear, ran down and killed the grim reaper fella and then, well, you'll figure out the rest.

Fuck 4-2, I went to Latria instead. Got to the boss first go, and died just as I was about to finish her.

So close, eh? :D

3 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Welcome to the world of panicky flailing at a crystal lizards and usually only hitting air. My early encounters were like a Benny Hill chase scene that ends in bitter disappoinment.

There's a set number of times the lizards appear, whether you kill them or not. Once they're gone, they're gone and you'll never be able to upgrade that weapon you liked.

Oh the stress!

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

So close, eh? :D

Aye, stood on two consecutive invisible pentagram things as I was about to take the last of her HP, and while I just stood there for what felt like half-an-hour she mullered me. This was after what felt like 2 hours creeping through the jail, nearly dying three times to mindflayers, sussing out how to turn off the big arrow statue/iron maiden thing, running away from the black/red demon outside the chapel (laters), and working out which of her clones was the real boss. Bastard.

Also the boss run back looks like it will be a drag, even with all the cell doors open, it's multiple floors, dreglings, and mindflayers to get through before I can have another go.

THIS GAME etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

3 hours ago, robdood said:

Pfft, the later games got so over-generous with the bonfires tbh!! :P 

Yep.

DaS 3 was ridiculous for them and it really harmed the game for me as so much tension and fear was removed by knowing that it’d never be too far to the next safe spot.... 

So, that sword I have spent the last few sessions trying to find in those dark, twisting, exploding bug filled, tunnels? Wandering all over the shop, thinking I had missed a tunnel and the loot? Turns out I already had it from, most likely, my first ever trip down their a long, long time ago. :facepalm:

It is, as you all have said,  a most excellent sword and one I wish I had bothered trying out when I first found it as it really carves through the lower and mid level enemies. I did finally find my way to that loot that had been tempting me for a long time though so it's not been a waste of time. I've also realised that there is a load of stuff in the lava too but I just can't survive long enough to grab that so I won't worry about it. For now..

• Upvote 3

One of the things I love most about Demons Souls is that I haven't played it in years, and yet whenever this thread resurfaces it's a must-read, and I get to enjoy it all over again through other people's experiences. What a game!

• Upvote 3

I spent a couple of hours running though 1-2 trying to defeat Tower Knight who'd one-hit kill me most times. I didn't want to cheese it and hit him from the walls, but I couldn't get the timing right for rolling either. The souls I'm getting there now don't even compensate for retrying.

Anyway, its not a waste, it's learning... Maybe I'll get out the bow...

Done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1 and 4-1, now. Tried VoD (5-1), Jesus what a miserable world that is. Horrible place to move through and fight in. Didn’t make it to the boss when I yet again fell off/got kicked off a plank, and I could happily never return. I also dread going back to 4-2, so my remaining options for now are 2-3 and 3-2. Will give those both a try, but I honestly swing between desperately wanting to go back to this or thinking I’m too old for this shit, and I’d rather go play Mario Odyssey instead.

I’ve already got way further than last time, but I still can see me dropping it once again based on my slowly dwindling love/hate ratio.

Moan over. :lol:

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

Done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1, now. Tried VoD (5-1), Jesus what a miserable world that is. Horrible place to move through and fight in. Didn’t make it to the boss when I yet again fell off/got kicked off a plank, and I could happily never return. I also dread going back to 4-2, so my remaining options for now are 2-2 and 3-2. Will give those both a try, but I honestly swing between desperately wanting to go back to this or thinking I’m too old for this shit, and I’d rather go play Mario Odyssey instead.

I’ve already got way further than last time, but I still can see me dropping it once again based on my slowly dwindling love/hate ratio.

Moan over. :lol:

Once you are in 5-2, you will cherish those joyful moments in 5-1

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Moan re-commences...

Fuck me, as a Soul Arrow slut with skimpy armour, how the thundering fuck do I put a dent in the Maneaters (3-2)? I loved the level, even the pink pond of piss at the bottom, but I can barely scratch the boss(es). Just zero room to run away, or roll around. Soul Arrow takes too long to fire off, and can’t get any real range. Dancing around the central brazier works for a bit, but takes too long and then the other one turns up and takes me from behind sans lube.

Had multiple goes and with no way to cheese them, and nowhere to hide, I’ve made zero progress. Honestly can’t see how this build prevails here at this point.

So, I’ll try 2-3 I guess. Or hold my nose and prepare to have my valley defiled again. But this is normally the point in the other Soulsborne games where I summon help to get me over the live.die.repeat hump, and renew my interest. Sadly no longer an option.

Looking like Demon’s Souls 2 Jonamok 0 at this point. :facepalm: