Sign in to follow this  
rockstarjez

The Avengers - Third Biggest Film of All Time

It's just a technique Banner's learned in order to gain control. His control's taken from him earlier in the film by Loki's staff. I admit it's pretty much glossed over, mind.

Ah right, when they're all arguing and the final shot shows him with it in his hand?

I'm guessing Loki's staff being in the room was affecting their rationale and doing a bit of mind control or something, because that whole argument scene was weird as fuck.

So I watched this last night and it seems fro this thread that I'm probably the only person in the world that thinks it's merely average.

The final third was great, but getting there was painfully slow and it felt like the story was going round in circles for so long.

It was worth watching just to see Hulk smash Loki to pieces in Stark's office though.

Oh, and I've got a couple of questions...

Why did Hulk suddenly stop being so indiscriminate in his attacks? When he first changed he seemed to want to kill Scarlet's character, then when he turned up for the end battle he wasn't attacking the rest of the Avengers.

At what point did Captain America become the leader? It just seemed to pop out of nowhere and nobody questioned it. Surely Stark wouldn't be taking orders off anyone else?

When that SHIELD agent dude shoots Loki with the big gun, why did he say 'oh, that's what it does', yet all it does is knock Loki on his arse and doesn't appear to be anything special?

The two dudes who got the blue eye treatment off Loki at the beginning suddenly seemed to just snap out of it right at the moment their characters were needed. How did that happen? There didn't seem to be any explanation.

Because by that point he trusted them and wasn't angry at them, combined with being more in control and focused at that moment and 'letting' the Hulk take over. Hulk isn't a totally indiscriminate killing machine.

Cap is always the leader of the Avengers. it's just a bit weird in the film universe because Stark is so overbearing. But that's precisely why Stark isn't the leader.

Because slightly earlier on he said "I wonder what this gun does" or words to that effect.

Hawkeye gets knocked out by redhead mcboobs, which stops Loki from controlling him. (lol)

Also yes,the staff made them all angry, which was Loki's plan. Loki concentrates his abilities through the staff, so he was able to exert some measure of psychic control from it.

• Upvote 1

Well, he is the Trickster! Also you find out Loki wants to destroy the Earth resistance (including his brother's*) by unleashing the full Hulk fury (in the Johansson/'mewling quim!' scene).

* adopted ;)

Copied from a website:

Just like a depressed person may keep a smile on their face and be able to socialize, in turn going home and bursting into tears, Bruce Banner does the same with his hanger. He's always mad, but he's found out how to suppress that anger (end scene of The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton and the yoga), until he sees fit to release that hold and let his anger flow unrestrained. The difference is, when he looses his emotions, the effects are much more dynamic because of his gamma-radiated persona. That same level of anger management allows him some degree of control in the sense that his fury isn't quite blind to the point that everyone is a target. He's both maintained and improved upon his ability to "aim" his alter-ego's rage, even achieving enough reserve to take (admittedly simple) orders ("Hulk... smash."). Of course, his management model is not perfect, as we see him lose control when sudden events (Loki-possessed Hawkeye's helicarrier assault) are forced upon him. Again, this is analogous to a normal human being in a fragile emotional state responding to an unanticipated event and not being wholly prepared.

Seems plausible.

It's entirely possible that he's already able to control Hulk before the events of the film begin. The transformation on the carrier is a loss of control because of the circumstances.

Yeah, it's pretty much explicitly stated at the end of the Norton Hulk film that he can control it, but he loses control in the Helicarrier due to the events that are unfolding. That's pretty easy to grasp isn't it?

Yeah, it's pretty much explicitly stated at the end of the Norton Hulk film that he can control it, but he loses control in the Helicarrier due to the events that are unfolding. That's pretty easy to grasp isn't it?

Alright Hulk-boy. It's pretty easy to grasp once you know. I didn't, that's why I was asking.

I'm still not having the blow to the head lifts Loki's control though. Nobody can defend that, surely?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

It's a good-times colourful piece of popcorn action for godness sake. That's why it was so enjoyable (to many of us). Not taking things too seriously and having fun. I'm sure that's also part of the reason why it has become this huge worldwide grossing phenomenon - in these troubled dour times we live in.

Also you might wanna check-out all the lead-in Marvel movies (Iron Man 1 & 2, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America) if you feel some background is missing.

I'm still not having the blow to the head lifts Loki's control though. Nobody can defend that, surely?

Knowing - some, not me, might say lazy? - use of genre trope. Black Widow's quote indicates as much:

"Cognitive re-calibration. I hit you really hard in the head."

Taking the piss out of a genre trope by using it yourself to mask a plot inadequacy is hardly genius though. Or is it?

Anyway, I'll let it off for all those little niggles in the finalé. It's the ridiculously drawn out front end that really let it down for me. I was considering ditching it at one point.

Luckily I stuck with it and I think the 'puny god' scene almost redeemed it for me.

Really?

It's an awesome flick, but it's hardy without fault.

It's not that it's without fault, it's just there is something incredibly pathetic about the complaints people have about - particularly when they can't apparently process conceptual stuff like why the Hulk might behave differently.

I don't know, i don't usually feel this way about movies, but when people start complaining about Avengers in this incredibly sour and nitpicky way my eyes start to roll so hard i fear they're going to pop out of my head.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I mean, seriously, somebody who says that some bit in it ALMOST redeemed Avengers for them is beyond my comprehension. Rarely have I seen a more confident and entertaining film.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't think one of the largest grossing movies ever, needs defending.

:rolleyes:

Yes, here I am, running to the defense of The Avengers.

I have no interest in defending it, I only chimed in to say how annoying Jon and all his sour ilk are.

Oh man, I know Iron Man 2 isn't very popular around here, but that laser superweapon bit in the robot mash at the end is wicked cool.

'One use only!'

You could basically watch the suitcase armour scene and the drone fight and come away with the best of Iron Man 2. Which is quite efficient as that compresses it to just under five minutes.

• Upvote 1

Hoping rental copies of The Mighty Morphin' Marvel Avengers come in to work today, not that they will, it'll be Friday despite the company promising they'll get rental copies in earlier with their new delivery contract so staff can watch them when in fact since the new company took over deliveries they've all be later...

Taking the piss out of a genre trope by using it yourself to mask a plot inadequacy is hardly genius though. Or is it?

It's not a plot inadequacy, it's knowing when to play something for laughs.

There's an episode of Buffy where they spend the whole episode trying to stop some demon or other from crossing over to earth, 42 minutes of slapstick running-about later the demon comes screaming out of a portal in the floor, all fangs and claws, and is revealed to be about six inches tall... It's a joke.

Having Loki lose his psychic link by knocking his thrall unconscious makes perfect sense. The joke is the line of dialogue about 'cognitive recalibration'.

Smitty, I quite liked Iron Man 2, but I saw it ages after it came out with dreadfully low expectations after all the bitching I'd heard about it.

Watched it on Blu-ray yesterday. Still so much fun. Witty banter, tons of great character beats, memorable lines and cool action scenes. And the benefit of watching it in crisp 2D. Shwarma scene was a nice little bonus as well.