Not until next year, but the arrange mode of the cotton reboot is looking like a dopamine fountain!

Never really played the original bar a few credits in emulation. Anyone rate it?

On 24/09/2020 at 15:42, Klatrymadon said:

It is! One of the best of the last decade! I'd highly recommend it to anyone relatively new to the genre, too - its bitesized structure, depth of ship customisation and range of difficulties should help anyone get involved.

Yeah, I remember there being a couple of threads around the net in various places a few years ago, people asking how shmups could become less niche, have wider appeal, draw new players in but teach them the unwritten rules so they didn't just credit feed through and ditch it.
It's this, isn't it? Qute already did it with Ginga Force.
I love Eschatos so much and this feels like a natural progression. Excellent. An easy 10 out of 10.

It's just getting better and better.
I obsessed a bit over getting an S rank in a certain mission (number 4) but I've relaxed on that now, I figure the way forward is to just run through the game and unlock stuff before you start worrying too much about that.
I've done the mission without getting hit, I've tried to take out as many boss parts as I can. B rank every time.
I'll come back to it.
Not bothering me at all.
Totally not even thinking about it.

Steam are having a TGS sale at the minute, sorry if it's too late, 19 hours left.

Eschatos, the cave games, etc, you can have a sniff around here for the discounted games.

Check the first one, and any stragglers should be picked up in the second list.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=4255&specials=1
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&term=shmup&specials=1

@ImmaculateClump Damn, that Cotton reboot! I love the look of that. Dopamine all over the shop. I played the original and thought it was pretty boring so wasn't especially looking forward to this. Day one now. 

Nice one, you're ploughing through it. I've only had an hour or so on it so far, but I've spent most of that time practicing stage 5 (without the item that protects you from the rocks). I've cleared the 'mission' but haven't managed to get the S-rank yet. Hoping to do some clears of the early stages in Score Attack mode soon! 

14 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Nice one, you're ploughing through it.

I know! New shiny game and I had a night where I didn't get a chance to play at all and then the next night only for an hour, so today I just totally hammered it until my arm went numb, madam.

14 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

I've spent most of that time practicing stage 5 (without the item that protects you from the rocks).

I love that stage so much!
Yeah, I used that rock perk for that one, seemed rude not to when they were offering it up, but I suppose it won't be there in score attack, so you'd best get used to getting by without it.

I mean, I’ve been hitting the shumps all week so I was in on it without knowing lol.

Btw how many loops do you have to play in Gradius before it stops increasing the difficulty? I’m up to loop 3 right now and I can’t manage a deathless stage 1 anymore.

been playing more of angerforce reloaded on the switch and really enjoying it unlocked normal and getting A and S ratings in the main.

The manual however is very sparse, doesn't explain the scoring and recharging systems and feel like I'm probably not making best use of the upgrade options as I don't really understand what does what how modifying most things will improve my scores. Couldn't find any more detailed guides online just lots of reviews.

23 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

I mean, I’ve been hitting the shumps all week so I was in on it without knowing lol.

Btw how many loops do you have to play in Gradius before it stops increasing the difficulty? I’m up to loop 3 right now and I can’t manage a deathless stage 1 anymore.

I think it caps at loop 8 in most of the games. Obviously they loop 250+ times but after the eighth it's a matter of sheer endurance. :P

Nice work getting to loop 3 btw! Things get pretty damn hairy in the second.

On 03/10/2020 at 13:18, ImmaculateClump said:

Cosmodreamer is out, £5.79.

Had a chance for a quick runthrough of this tonight on maniac difficulty, it's brilliant fun!

You have to run through each stage individually before unlocking the arcade mode.

Lots of difficulty modes. I reckon everyone will get a kick out of this.

It's really bright and cheery with some fun bullet patterns and it really ramps up on the later stages!

The scoring is all about playing aggressively, getting in nice and close when you kill baddies, staying close to the bosses and using your bombs strategically to cancel as many bullets as you can.

Your bombs also equate to hitpoints, so if you get hit you'll just lose a bomb rather than dying if you have one in stock.

Brilliant fun, I tried running through arcade mode afterwards and died right at the final boss but hopefully I'll get a chance to get to revenge tomorrow! Can't wait to try the next difficulty up as well.

There are a few different weapons and stuff you can try out as well which I haven't really looked into. I just went with the butterfly shot, the homing thingy and the shield.

Ooh, demo for an upcoming Akiragoya game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1405500/Angels_at_Dusk/

Spurts of stiffness! Now, shooters have entered the age of the hardcore! This is the answer to the hardcore Shumps!

Don't get hit, don't miss any items, and destroy as many enemies as possible... A system that goes back to the basics of shooting games.This is a hardcore STG that dares to play with an extremely simple system.

Features

Shoot in close and defeat enemies to recover & get lots of bomb items!

The higher the rank, the more points you get!

Also, a little update on the Mechanical Star Astra demo

"A full shmups worth of content"! Hubba hubba!

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, not sure whether to post this here or in retro but it will get more exposure here. There's a new shooter in the works for the Megadrive. Based on this preview video it looks promising and one to keep an eye on.

Darius Cozmic Revelation Famitsu DX Pack announced. It comes with a Mega Drive cartridge for Darius Extra Version (which I'm assuming means the Hidecade port has been updated to be more in line with the arcade Extra Version). There will also be an Amazon Prime Day version.

It's 6,800 yen for the regular edition, and 16,800 yen for the special edition. G-Darius HD and Darius Burst ACEX+ will be available separately on the eShop for 3,800 yen each. I was really hoping I could stop being an absolute mark for Darius LE nonsense, but I need that cart.

Finally! I nearly snapped and logged in to the smelly old windows store at one point! Been looking forward to trying this.

I've heard it's Shikigami but easier and with cutesy graphics. Decent review here - http://www.cubed3.com/review/5423/1/sisters-royale-nintendo-switch.html

Did any of you lot pick it up on the switch?

Man, the jump in difficulty from Maniac to Expert in trial mode in CosmoDreamer is slapping me around something silly. I managed to get to the final stage last night, but I feel like I'd need loads of lives to get through the final boss so I don't think it's gonna happen, but I'm having great fun trying!

The Darius Cozmic Revelation LEs are out on Amazon.jp now, but my head's gone trying to figure out what's included in each version. I think I've ordered the one with the Mega Drive cart and DLC, but a cheaper listing also mentions the cart and DLC, and a more expensive one mentions the cart but not the DLC. I'm reading crude translations but it sounds like they've messed up somewhere...

gosokkyu's usually got the skinny on all this sort of stuff, klatry, if this is any help - https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1315692351512215553

2 hours ago, Marlew said:

I can't abide non-auto-scroller shmups is what it is.

Aw man, you gotta walk up the pigging screen?

Are you sure? In all the footage I've seen it looks like it's an auto scroller.

Thanks for the heads up anyway, I'll make sure I don't go over the 2 hour refund limit just in case it's a stinker.

DANMAKAI is really good fun. Grazing increases the power of your shot and it feels really fun.

I'm just playing for survival at the minute, nearly got my 1cc, but I think the idea might be to power up your weapon and then cash out by "bombing", turning bullets into gems, then you start with a really low powered weapon again and you keep doing that.

I think that might be the idea with the scoring, but I'll experiment with that after I get the clear.