Cecil Kay

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

On 13/03/2018 at 09:35, Lorfarius said:

Someone just gave me this completely out of the blue at work today. It's been sat in an attic since the 90's. They couldn't find any games or leads, no idea if it even works:

20180313_081142.jpg

A few years back I sold my now deceased grandfathers +3 at a car boot. Wish I hadnt now.

I've still got it, forgot all about it :lol: Gave it a good clean up and removed a load of permanent ink that was covering the back.  Still no idea if it works!

Yeah it still takes old 10ps too! 

It it has come with a Jamma loom which Isn't attached, looks a bit daunting doing that. 

Going to try and clean the board up and see if that helps with the glitches 

oh yeah it weighs an absolute ton too. Was going to put it in my games room but that's up two flights of stairs so might rethink that.

Alex Kidd boxed does seem to sell for a fair bit. The game was built into most master systems meaning most people didn't need to buy it. I think the most common game on master system (in Europe at least) is sonic the hedgehog if we're talking boxed games.

• Upvote 3

On 19/06/2018 at 17:16, Protocol Penguin said:

Fifty quid?! Isn’t this the most common game for the Master System?

32849816-0A78-49A1-B5EA-092B49B77716.thumb.jpeg.edeb4789afbca81a750875f28ba69d21.jpeg:wacko:

There’s an Ultima IV for the Master System in ny local CEX for £120! Boxed copies on eBay seem to sell for a lot less.

• Upvote 4

Just taking a stroll through the local car boot, people are still setting up so I got to witness first hand the vultures swooping in. One old Irish bloke in a suit was a right dick, straight into the boot of some guys car while he was trying to set things up on his table. Grabbed a bag of something and asked how much. The guy clearly didn't know and just said a tenner. Irish guy was all like "nah, here's 5 for it" seller was looking puzzled, some woman butted in asking what's in the bag and Irish guy was all "sorry it's sold" then to the seller "6 quid" which got accepted. He then proceeded to whip out a fat stack of notes - must have been £500+ to complete the deal. 

So now I'm just waiting around to mug the old bastard :ph34r:

• Upvote 6

That seller got proper diddled. He had a boxed Xbox 360, someone asked him how much, the seller again looked clueless (think his wife was the one with the pricing info) so he said he'd take £20 for it. The buyer ummed at that so seller said he'd chuck in the Kinect with it for that price. Then before the buyer could say anything the seller then said "and a few games" nodding towards a box full of games. Buyer agreed and handed him the £20. I then watched as this guy went through the box of games and take at least 10 or so games. And they looked like decent games too, not just the usual FIFA shit. Even if the 360 itself was a red ringer the Kinect, a controller and 10+ games for £20 seems a good deal - for the buyer. 

Nothing for me, I was just on the lookout for GameCube or N64 stuff but other the  one tatty N64 console and a GameCube controller that looked to have had the analogue stick chewed on couldn't find anything, never can. 

• Empathy 1

There's a mix of 6 car boots near us most weeks. One big one and 5 small.

All bar one small were not running today. 

Nothing of note at the one that was. Apart from these:

A4B9B280-B5CC-4C25-A9D9-24ADA5FEA6F5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Did you pick them up?

Today has been my best booty of the year so far, I've been up since 5:30 ( well, 5:40 if you count hitting snooze :p ) been to 3 car boots, travelled about 180 miles round trip, spent a few quid and got back here 20 mins ago.

Pick of the day has been difficult, but I think getting Demon Soul's ( PS3 ) and a SEALED "shadows of the Colossus) on PS2 for a fiver takes the win here :)

Just went to an auction. 1500 Macbook Pro sealed sold for £450.

After that bidding went mental. Entry level Macbook Air: £1170. Dell latitude 12: £780 (389 on Amazon), 4 year old Alienware laptop: £2000. Entry level iMac: £1500. 

Crazy. Only the first person got a bargain.

On 19/06/2018 at 17:23, SeanR said:

who's buying retro at CEX though?

Me! Mainly unboxed GBA games. Their prices are all over the place, but you can find the odd bargain. 

5 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

What are they? 

Nazi gold bars!  

Funny how Nazi memorabilia used to be acceptable in the 70s and early 80s. 

22 minutes ago, X_2_0 said:

Nazi gold bars!  

If they were Nazi gold bars I’d buy them! And then melt em down.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Just went to an auction. 1500 Macbook Pro sealed sold for £450.

After that bidding went mental. Entry level Macbook Air: £1170. Dell latitude 12: £780 (389 on Amazon), 4 year old Alienware laptop: £2000. Entry level iMac: £1500. 

Crazy. Only the first person got a bargain.

Was it a proper auction house? Or one of those dodgy ticket only, taken over the old empty Blockbusters' store for the day type affairs?

Sounds like one of those where the “bargains” are mysteriously sold to someone who looks suspiciously like the auctioneer, and everyone else buys a bin bag full of junk.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, cubik said:

Sounds like one of those where the “bargains” are mysteriously sold to someone who looks suspiciously like the auctioneer, and everyone else buys a bin bag full of junk.

Nah, it was right at the start when there was only a handful of people in the room. When the rest of the tech stuff came up it was a group of people who came in about half way through all acting like they were on storage wars bidding and bragging at each other when they won. Very weird. 

On 01/07/2018 at 16:33, X_2_0 said:

Nazis were the comedy bad guys of 1970s TV. No one thought they'd be coming back any time soon.

My mum claims that spike chain maces were sold as decorative wall hangings in the 70s. They owned one for a few years, but donated it to a local church jumble sale to make the house child friendly. I try not to ask what my parents did before I was born.

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2018 at 21:54, Mr Tony said:

Nah, it was right at the start when there was only a handful of people in the room. When the rest of the tech stuff came up it was a group of people who came in about half way through all acting like they were on storage wars bidding and bragging at each other when they won. Very weird. 

Art biennial installation then? 

Fished out a little bargain off Facebook last night. 

Seller had a stack of various 30+ PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 titles (nothing special, mostly sports and commons), 2 xbox 360's (1's beyond repair, 1's working, PS2 (dead), 3 GameCube pads, PS2 pad, Xbox one pad, centrino laptop that needs a new hdd, psp slim (faulty), a soft modded wii, Wii controllers, plus various other bits and bobs im still finding for £200.

That's a big nope you'd say surely? But nestled in with that lot was Amstrad GX4000 with its pads. I asked him if he'd split it off on a whim and he said £80 the lot. 

I can dump most of the games / pads I don't need in CEX, the rest will be dumped on eBay or used for parts. I'll break even easily and probably make a small profit

But that GX4000 is mine. Xbox one pad and GameCube probably too.

Seem to be on a mission to collect failed systems lately. 

I've got a Jag / CD32 this year and I've got a neo Geo pocket colour, gizmondo, virtual boy and ngage for it to sit next too already

• Upvote 4

The 50p Xbone pad has been stripped down and the small piece of plastic stopping the right stick moving all the way down has been removed, looks like that was the only issue with it, better fire something up and play for a few hours to make sure though :):)

• Upvote 3