IGNORED

The Jazz Thread

Ben

There's a few albums like that in there – the Peter Brotzmann one especially – that are curios and nothing much more for me and getting through it is a chore. Maybe I'm not there yet, but free jazz that never really emerges into something more cohesive like Ornette Coleman or Art Ensemble doesn't quite click for me. Saying that, it makes something like Night Train seem very polite and old hat so I see why it's on the list.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 21:40, Ste_S said:

Sometimes it can feel that perhaps there's a bit too much Art Blakey being re-released, however the new 1961 Tokyo live album is great. Nice vinyl package also, with booklet and postcards

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/first-flight-to-tokyo-the-lost-1961-recordings/1585996849

I’m a huge Art Blakey fan and listened to this twice on Sunday when I was cooking lunch and it didn’t grab me as much as I expected. My expectations may have been too high. Will give it another go. 

On 12/12/2021 at 21:40, Ste_S said:

Sometimes it can feel that perhaps there's a bit too much Art Blakey being re-released, however the new 1961 Tokyo live album is great. Nice vinyl package also, with booklet and postcards

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/first-flight-to-tokyo-the-lost-1961-recordings/1585996849

Whichever album has Tippin on is worth listening to - that’s a magnificent track by any measure. 

Hi everyone, just a quick reminder that the RLLMUK favourite albums poll runs until 31 December - you can post your list here:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/324427-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-2021-list-thread-open-until-31-december/

Every vote for a new or reissued 2021 album counts, even if you've just got one album you really liked this year!  

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Halsall has done the Spotify Jazz Takeover playlist.

I haven’t listened to it yet but as he’s one of my favourite contemporary artists it’s bound to be a must listen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2022 at 13:56, Sardan said:

James Mtume died a couple of days ago. Played with Miles in the 1970s and was responsible for Juicy Free, an absolute classic tune. 

Sad news indeed. You’re getting it a little mixed up though with the title, with good reason. The band Mtume did the track Juicy Fruit, and there was an ‘answer’ record based on it by the band Juicy, called Sugar Free:

Et voila! Which is the better track is a matter of taste, with a rizla paper between them, but for me it’s Sugar Free all day long.

James Mtume also deserves recognition for being responsible indirectly for the creation of one of hip hop’s finest songs - Stetsasonic’s Talking All That Jazz. Another answer record of sorts, created in response to his criticism of sampling.  

On 14/01/2022 at 01:49, ZOK said:

Sad news indeed. You’re getting it a little mixed up though with the title, with good reason. The band Mtume did the track Juicy Fruit, and there was an ‘answer’ record based on it by the band Juicy, called Sugar Free:

Et voila! Which is the better track is a matter of taste, with a rizla paper between them, but for me it’s Sugar Free all day long.

:doh: of course! I knew all that, d’oh.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Continuing on the Blue Note tip, I'm quite enjoying this. It starts off with a standard, but enjoyable, blues based hard-bop tune, but then goes other places on the other tracks.

Bit of a Donald Byrd fan, always willing to experiment; from stuff like this to New Perspective and the Jazz Funk of his Mizell Brothers records.

spacer.png

https://open.spotify.com/album/3iiXriAL04UEj7IjHa2J72?si=MMv2m8CrRv6SLHhtY6RBAg 

On 20/04/2022 at 20:00, acidbearboy said:

I’ve been enjoying Freddie Hubbard’s 1962 LP Here to Stay. Generally pretty mellow, with a couple of more challenging sections. Father and Son and Body and Soul are my favourites. 

I just bought that on vinyl. 
It’s a double lp that comes with Hub Cap. 
It’s a 70’s reissue, very nice pressing, a bit tricky to get over here - think they were U.S. only. 

D25D136A-00F5-453F-8243-D872DA0E0F00.jpeg