Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Chaos Knights get a relic that gives you an invun save to melee attacks, do imp Knights not get something similar? Or were you running it as an admech force?

I know it's disheartening when you lose in such a way. I play Death Guard and it was a bit depressing getting stomped every game but our PA gave us some new tools as well as some of the 9th rule changes which favour us nicely. Let's hope our new codex doesn't fuck us over.

No such relic for loyalists I'm afraid. I'll make those changes for next time but I think I'll be playing as marines again next time. 

My mate's approach to necrons has been to use disposable scarab swarms to tie up units in CC so they can't shoot anything else, so playing as white scars was the counter last time to be able to fall back and charge again. He then uses the skorpekh destroyers and lord to smash stuff, so the counter is to have MSU and also bladeguard who now have a 3++ thanks to those cool shields. The problem is 50 power gives necrons a lot of bodies, many of which spring back to life unless you table the unit, you can get 3 hq models, 30 troops, 3 chunky elites and a tank thingy for your money, while I'm looking at less than 30 marines in total, maybe a dread. its part of the fun trying to figure out how to build a list that will take on whatever surprises there are. For example the spider tank can roll to avoid taking damage if it rolls less than the damage inflicted, so las and melta's are crap but hitting it with loads of 1 damage shots works a treat.

I only discovered this ability after it shrugged off 11 worth of damage though. 

When I played DG I ended up moving to a slime based approach to life, taking minimum troops but having arch contaminator mortarion, a demon prince with talons and then foul blightspawn,  blightcrawler and bloat drones to get as many plague weapons on the go as possible. 

Changes to wounds and improvements to marine weapons should be good for DG though, 2 wound Plague marines will be a pain to remove. 

On 21/08/2020 at 09:35, Captain Novaforce said:

I just finished Bloodlines by Chris Wraight, the first in the Warhammer Crime series which I can really recommend. Suitably Grim dark.

A little way into this and it's really enjoyable so far. It's kinda fascinating to see the every day life of Imperial subjects. 

It's never really been spelled out before how much citizens are kept in ignorance. "There's no such thing as a genestealer"

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, mrsnrub said:

This is my latest, hope it's ok

IMG_20200915_122038_555.jpg

First off, that you've finished more in the last couple of weeks than I have in a year and it's making me look bad. Stop it. Secondly I'd say, and I'm absolutely no expert, that you're applying the paint too thick. Someone more talented than me might say different but I think that's why some parts don't look as smooth as they should. Unless the model underneath hasn't been cleaned up.

Other than that maybe be a bit steadier with the paint on the edge highlights (maybe less paint on the brush when doing it?) and keep doing what you're doing, it's looking good.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

First off, that you've finished more in the last couple of weeks than I have in a year and it's making me look bad. Stop it. Secondly I'd say, and I'm absolutely no expert, that you're applying the paint too thick. Someone more talented than me might say different but I think that's why some parts don't look as smooth as they should. Unless the model underneath hasn't been cleaned up.

Other than that maybe be a bit steadier with the paint on the edge highlights (maybe less paint on the brush when doing it?) and keep doing what you're doing, it's looking good.

Thanks. I struggle with the steadiness due to an essential tremor linked to my neurological disorders but I have a little trick.

Yeah I didn't clean him very well either was too eager to paint. I've got nothing to do stuck in the house so I've been painting like mad. Suppose it's good practice! 

Thanks for the kinds words and I will try thinning the paints a bit more too. I usually do two thin coats but again was too excited with this sculpt

• Upvote 2

The games places in London are opened up again now, really want to get a game but my indomnitus made to order hasn't arrived yet, really wanted a copy of 9th ed rules and missions. Also I'm determined to play my Chaos Space Marines with 2W, but doubt I'll get that codex this year. I mean I'll lose anyway but want a chance!

Might just take my imperial Guard which are pretty point and click, means I'll have to drive though to carry all the buggers. Will be able to have a drink once the new death guard codex is out as they fit in one bag!

• Upvote 1
On 14/09/2020 at 22:38, martingee said:

Chaos Knights get a relic that gives you an invun save to melee attacks, do imp Knights not get something similar? Or were you running it as an admech force?

I know it's disheartening when you lose in such a way. I play Death Guard and it was a bit depressing getting stomped every game but our PA gave us some new tools as well as some of the 9th rule changes which favour us nicely. Let's hope our new codex doesn't fuck us over.

I got this wrong btw, i could have sworn we did have a relic but i can't find it. Oh hum...

On 15/09/2020 at 18:51, mrsnrub said:

Thanks. I struggle with the steadiness due to an essential tremor linked to my neurological disorders but I have a little trick.

I recently discovered this video about painting with tremors and thought it might be of use to you, or to anyone else in the thread who suffers with them. 

• Upvote 4

I've been reading through the Horus Heresy books which has put me in the mood for painting space marines. The only problem is I really suck at painting space marines. It seems like every decent painter has their own cool way for painting them except for me. Whenever I try my brain freezes up, I get frustrated and eventually give up.  So for this emperor's children I decided not to focus on having fun. 

I'm happy with the end result and I think that with a few more attempts I could refine the method and come up with something suitable for painting a small army.

EC+10.JPG?format=2500w

EC+13.JPG?format=2500w

EC+11.JPG?format=2500w

Ive seen an absolutley amazing scheme for Emps Children that involves a metallic black to chrome zenithal, with TMM chrome highlights and scratches, patterns etc. then GW's Eidolon Purple clear over the top. and some inktensity violet in the shadows they look amazingly tasty.