rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Yeah, the fourth issue is the base and flight stand. Definitely optional. 

To be clear, the first issue of tank sprues is already out, it was out last Wednesday, so tomorrow's one is the second of the four. You'd probably have to order through Forbidden Planet for the first one now. 

My aeronautica imperialis Force is done, ready for saturdays event at warhammer world.

Bit of a last minute panic last weekend when I realised I needed two more bombers (to act as transports) to fulfil the mission requirements but it’s all done now. 250(ish) points of the emperor’s flying vengeance. 

692479FA-F7FC-43A3-9A05-2E462A758375.thumb.jpeg.549b6193ad8f8733c9e90de3d2c54ab4.jpeg

• Upvote 8

They look awesome.

I bought some Chibis. Figured if I bought 5 I'd have a reasonable chance of getting a Battle Sister (number one on my list) and might avoid getting a Grey Knight (don't like it).

Maths defeated me, however...

chibifcked.thumb.jpeg.cd57fc74ae96877da87bf18b778f0f94.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

18 hours ago, RFT said:

My aeronautica imperialis Force is done, ready for saturdays event at warhammer world.

Bit of a last minute panic last weekend when I realised I needed two more bombers (to act as transports) to fulfil the mission requirements but it’s all done now. 250(ish) points of the emperor’s flying vengeance. 

692479FA-F7FC-43A3-9A05-2E462A758375.thumb.jpeg.549b6193ad8f8733c9e90de3d2c54ab4.jpeg

Have a great time.

Sorry to say I will not see you there. In the end I did not get a ticket for the Adeptus Titanicus event that is happening at the same time. Probably just as well. My painting has slacked off in the last few weeks and I would have had some kind of rush to be ready.

Take pictures of cool things and post them here.

• Upvote 1

Nice one @Nicky. Are those little space marines on the base? That thing must be huge!

Which gold paint did you use? Looks lovely.

cheers guys.

Yeah those are space marines. From the old GW Epic game. They fit perfectly on the new adeptus titanicus stuff. all my golds of choice these days are Scale75 golds. They are without doubt the best golds on the market today. one coat, no streaks, perfect coverage, butterly smooth. that one is Necro Gold (sometimes misspelled on the bottle negro gold) i'd strongly recommend the following golds in the range

Decayed Metal (beautiful dark rich creamy dark brass. one coats everything, perfect as a metallic base)

Necro Gold. (lovely cold gold. my personal favourite)

Viking Gold (similar in value to Necro gold but instead of the cold tone, its a warm tone. perfect over decayed metal base)

Dwarven Gold (a brighter richer yellower gold than the others)

there is an Elven gold but it separates VERY quickly, has a pale verdegris hue to it, im not a fan. the others though. grab em, you'll thank me later ;)

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

that one is Necro Gold (sometimes misspelled on the bottle negro gold)

:o it’s Negro Gold on mine, I just assumed it was black gold… 

and to add to the list Citrine Alchemy and Peridot Alchemy are great for highlights on metal.  Peridot has a nice blue tinge so also helps sell sky reflection. 

yep. all but the Decayed Metal come in the gold alchemy set you can buy

Awesome. You picked orks for killteam!? Have they managed to hit anything yet?

• Upvote 1

I've been lurking in this thread for about six months and recently ended up in a Youtube black hole of painting vids. It culminated in a couple of late night (inebriated) eBay bids and I snagged a Mighty Lord of Khorne for a few quid, as well as a metal hive tyrant. 

Once I'd gotten over the astonishing level of detail on modern models (I've seen nothing 'in the flesh' since the release of 40k 3rd ed.) I noticed the axe of the Lord is hanging on by a thread after being smacked about in transit within questionable packaging by a 200gram hive tyrant torso.

Any tips for salvaging this or is my Lordy boi cursed with short axe syndrome forever? I'd have more of a clue if the break was flush to his fist but it's a few mm away, with a slight bend in the haft and it's way too thin to pin. 

IMG_20200217_200936.jpg

2 hours ago, Danno said:

I've been lurking in this thread for about six months and recently ended up in a Youtube black hole of painting vids. It culminated in a couple of late night (inebriated) eBay bids and I snagged a Mighty Lord of Khorne for a few quid, as well as a metal hive tyrant. 

Once I'd gotten over the astonishing level of detail on modern models (I've seen nothing 'in the flesh' since the release of 40k 3rd ed.) I noticed the axe of the Lord is hanging on by a thread after being smacked about in transit within questionable packaging by a 200gram hive tyrant torso.

Any tips for salvaging this or is my Lordy boi cursed with short axe syndrome forever? I'd have more of a clue if the break was flush to his fist but it's a few mm away, with a slight bend in the haft and it's way too thin to pin. 

IMG_20200217_200936.jpg

one of the guys will confirm this but when i have this with my Gundam models i cut off a piece of paperclip to basically be a pin the middle a skeleton as such.

Im sure they guys will tell you how to do it and give you the real term.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Danno said:

IMG_20200217_200936.jpg

It looks like it should pin if you have got a drill bit small enough. I did it to a stormcast mini and it was fine. 

A2CEC90C-0A76-4DD2-BEF9-E668C9543FA5.jpeg

• Upvote 1

It has reminded though of another project I started and still haven’t finished. Life was simpler when I was 12 and had no cash. I painted every mini I owned, no pile of shame back then!

Cool, thanks. I have no tools at the moment (and wasnt aware drill bits came in micron grades) so I'll put it to one side for now. 

What's Stormcast? I'm about 20 years out of the loop and still catching up

6 hours ago, And said:

Awesome. You picked orks for killteam!? Have they managed to hit anything yet?

We haven't played yet.. this is my fear. I think I'll have to build some heavy armour ork nobz and play for the objectives :D

3 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

one of the guys will confirm this but when i have this with my Gundam models i cut off a piece of paperclip to basically be a pin the middle a skeleton as such.

Im sure they guys will tell you how to do it and give you the real term.

This happened on the war banner on one of mine. Super annoying. Will try the pin technique.

@Danno that will be fine if you just snap it and glue it with polystyrene cement Or the plastic glue games workshop sells - I’ve done loads of stuff like that - it just melts the plastic and effectively welds it together. Some of their models have joins you glue that size holding together the whole model and they’re fine once set. (Blood bowl skeletons I’m looking at you.) 

@skittles

i looked at building an ork list and came to the conclusion you needed to be based around flamers and punching people 

A good melee unit in kill team is amazing as the shooting has so many negative modifiers really you need to be BS3 to hit anything reliably. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Danno said:

What's Stormcast? I'm about 20 years out of the loop and still catching up

Fantasy space marines, basically

• Upvote 1

Managed a game of blood bowl last night. 
Because I’m becoming something of a team hoarder* we’re now randomly selecting teams with 2d6. We rolled Dwarves (me) vs wood elves. 

I took the classic dwarf lineup of all 6 positionals, 5 linemen and 3 rerolls

He took a tree, all 6 positionals, 4 linemen and 0 rerolls. And lost because of it. 

I ended up winning 2-0 after kicking to him first. 
Managed to get the ball off him when he fell over going for it and couldn’t reroll on turn 2 and slowly walked up the pitch to score on turn 7, then slowly walked up the pitch to score on turn 7 in the second half. 

It was carnage though. at one point in the second half he had 6 players on the pitch and I had 7 due to a couple of guys getting knocked off into the sidelines and one getting sent off for fouling a wardancer to death (worth it). 
So it was a good game for me in that he only had hold of the ball for about 3 turns. He did have a bit of a shocker as his tree kept rooting itself to the floor and he had some bad rolls. 

Dwarves feel like cheating though. 9 players with block, 7 with high armour, all with thick skull means as soon as you manage to get the ball you’re extremely hard to beat. with the flipside being if you fuck up and let a fast team get behind you, you’re screwed. 

Im starting to really like Blood Bowl. As long as you come to terms with the fact the game hates you and wants you to lose and you’ll always roll a 1 when you need anything else it’s all about mitigating that. 

*I can actually field 12 BB teams. Though 2 are variants. I may have a problem. 

• Upvote 5

Just to be That Guy: if you've 12 possible teams to pick from you want to be using a d12 rather than 2d6s to randomly select your teams - both because it's the only way you can ever roll a 1, and because the 2d6 method will heavily favour the teams around number 7 due to them having considerably more possible combinations of d6 than the extremities. For example, you have a rough 45% chance of rolling one of a 6, 7 or 8, vs only a rough 17% chance to roll one of a 2, 3, 11 or 12. 

Unless you want to weight the results (and hate team 1), of course, in which case it's a great method! 

• Upvote 2

Good points. The variants mean it’s impossible to play say shambling undead vs necromantic undead, so I need to work around that (As the core of players is the same for both teams so while there’s 12 teams to choose from you can only play 10, humans and renegades being the other with crossover)
So we add my mates skaven team into the mix to make 11 to pick from and 2d6 is ok though a d12 would be better but I don’t have one. Though we could use a d16 and ignore higher rolls. It’s not a perfect system. I’ll probably end up with more teams if they keep churning them out. Would like an updated chorf team or amazons maybe. 
Somewhat annoyingly we have 2 dwarf teams  between us which is one of the only GW teams you don’t need to buy an extra box for to get every position.  :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Fantasy space marines, basically

Are they not the gold armoured people in that photo they gave away with that magazine before.

33 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Are they not the gold armoured people in that photo they gave away with that magazine before.

Yep, they are. Fantasy space marines!

1 hour ago, And said:

Good points. The variants mean it’s impossible to play say shambling undead vs necromantic undead, so I need to work around that (As the core of players is the same for both teams so while there’s 12 teams to choose from you can only play 10, humans and renegades being the other with crossover)
So we add my mates skaven team into the mix to make 11 to pick from and 2d6 is ok though a d12 would be better but I don’t have one. Though we could use a d16 and ignore higher rolls. It’s not a perfect system. I’ll probably end up with more teams if they keep churning them out. Would like an updated chorf team or amazons maybe. 
Somewhat annoyingly we have 2 dwarf teams  between us which is one of the only GW teams you don’t need to buy an extra box for to get every position.  :facepalm:

Roll one D6.  if it's a 1, 2, or 3 then roll another D6 and take the result of that.  If it's a 4, 5, or 6 on the first roll, add 6 to the second D6.  :)

Whut? I’ll just acquire more teams until I have 16. It’s easier. 

• Upvote 2