Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

I’m really impressed with the sculpts that they are producing now. Back in the early 90s they were doing more plastic minis but I always thought they were crap, but looking at them know the details and scale Is amazing. I got a unexpected typhus mini for Christmas and it is awesome. I am a bit daunted about starting it as I want to be able to do it justice. It the ones the back. These are my next ones to start, still got a few things to glue into place yet.   

Except it wont let me upload a pic now! 

Anyway it is a stormcast eternal, a chaos warrior and Typhus, herald of the plague god

99120102076_DeathGuardTyphus01.jpg

Edited by MrEm

56 minutes ago, MrEm said:

Except it wont let me upload a pic now! 

Anyway it is a stormcast eternal, a chaos warrior and Typhus, herald of the plague god

99120102076_DeathGuardTyphus01.jpg

I can appreciate the talent it took to sculpt that and the technology to cast it but conceptually, sometimes less is more. 

In the White Dwarf app does anyone know what the magnifying glass in the tool bar is meant to do?  

The last couple of issues, like the free one, have different controls and the way the page is displayed can be set - e.g. I can make a column of text fill my phone screen.  Having enjoyed the free one (and being a reader 20 years ago) I picked up the issue with the 30 years of Golden Demon feature and the pages are locked to the width of the screen making it a chore to read on the phone.

On 23/12/2017 at 20:13, The Bag said:

There’s also an interview with John Blanche which makes me really happy, the man illustrated my teenage years.  I love his work, the characters, details, grotesques.  His work is the 40K universe to me.

844B8E48-0C8C-41BB-B257-84E45C41CF56.jpeg

One of things I loved about the original 40k Rule Book (and late 80s / early 90s GW in general) was the range of art. A lot of very raw and sometimes deeply strange illustrations made it in to their books and there was a great range of artists, styles and mediums. John Blanche was always superb. Ian Miller was another personal favourite.

What I've seen of the books now seems to have a house style, digitally painted, very well done but lacking the raw energy of the older stuff.

Shitting hell, you lot have some serious skill.

It took the best part of 14 hours, I reckon, just to build the Dark Imperium set my son received for Christmas.

I'm scared to even consider painting them, there are so many of them.

Thanks, guys. :)

She was really enjoyable to paint. I was pleased with the iridescent fly wings and the brambles with their red/green colour. It sort of looks more like rhubarb than brambles, but I like it anyway.

Highlighting the... chest area felt a bit awkward.

love that tree walker felt. it's like an organic version of the Imperial Knight ive been working on. 

Speaking of which: DONE.....

• Upvote 4

What I want to know is who's exactly been watching for 10,000 years - the collective group mind of the Custodes, or the Emperor or someone else?

I was a little let down by the reveal over the weekend though - I was kind of hoping it'd have been something to do with the Dark Angels!

Dark Angels had some stuff earlier in December, didn't they?  A codex and versions of some of the Primaris squads with upgrade sprues to DA them up.  I think that'll be all they get.  No sense in releasing brand new units just a couple of weeks after a codex comes out.  The Dark Angels Primaris stuff looks quite nice.  They have these big balloon-looking guys with wrist guns.  

I've gone back to painting some of my Dark Angels stuff this week, actually.  Nothing particularly special, just the Dark Imperium stuff.

On 1/6/2018 at 21:24, Nicky said:

love that tree walker felt. it's like an organic version of the Imperial Knight ive been working on. 

Speaking of which: DONE.....

Sweet video, did you stick him on your record player in a dark room :P

i have a cake display turntable. ive been planning on doing all my models like this, so it was about 30quid or so from ebay

Because I already have too many minis to paint, I spent some Christmas vouchers on something I probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. It looks ok here, but I've since put the first thin layer of Russ Grey on it and now it looks shit. God, I've disappeared down a rabbit hole.

pewpewpew

stormfang.thumb.jpg.f4a09c5b5bcffa8ddf4d79c16e675fb1.jpg

• Upvote 2

I got a few marines and paints a few weeks ago to see if I still enjoyed painting and minis in general. I really do! It's great to have something that's not work, family or gym related to occupy my hands with. Really mindful. 

No close ups as some of you guys are unbelievable, but this is progress so far on my Dark Imperium box. So far just Adeptus Astartes and some gribblies for them to shoot at 

IMG_20180120_121654.jpg

• Upvote 6

Bah, okay. I haven't painted for about 20 years, from what I remembered is to prime everything black and cover up mistakes with washes. I bought the two starter paint sets they sell plus a can of black spray paint to help with the heavy lifting.

Going to get them all up to this level, learning as I go. 

IMG_20180119_223252.jpg

IMG_20180117_175249.jpg

• Upvote 7

I’ve been flipping through the Realm Of Chaos 80s blog since the interview with Mike McVey was posted in the miniature appreciation thread the other day, and this entry is really interesting it looks at the coverage of Rogue Trader in White Dwarf at its launch.  Probably the most interesting part is the article written by Rick Priestley about its development and some of the concessions they made like abstracting the weapon ranges rather than the WHFB 1” = 10 yards system.

http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader-original.html

• Upvote 2

Love those minis @Captain Novaforce!

The Stormfang is taking...longer than I ever anticipated. Since the last picture I've given it three coats of thinned Russ Grey, shaded the recesses on the main fuselage and started on a big of silver. Doing all of that with a normal base brush was a mistake.

Still, enjoying it. About 5 hours in on the painting side of things now.

stormfang2.jpg

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I’ve been flipping through the Realm Of Chaos 80s blog since the interview with Mike McVey was posted in the miniature appreciation thread the other day, and this entry is really interesting it looks at the coverage of Rogue Trader in White Dwarf at its launch.  Probably the most interesting part is the article written by Rick Priestley about its development and some of the concessions they made like abstracting the weapon ranges rather than the WHFB 1” = 10 yards system.

http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader-original.html

That site is a real treasure trove, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering how much of my stuff is still in my parents' loft. I remember owning so many of the miniatures in the WH40K piece but sold them off for sure (I also remember so many of the individual models and dioramas in the piece about Bryan ansell - so weird that I can remember each one so vividly from the pages of the magazine). I am really hoping I didn't throw out my white dwarfs - and really hoping I didn't flog the rogue trooper boardgame. I think my first white dwarfs was around 104, with the biker dwarf on the cover. I did buy up a load of back issues but I think I sold them on at school.

Edit: not sure if I already shared this but my dad took a photo of one of my piles of stuff before they cleared out the loft for some renovation work.

IMG_1743.JPG

• Upvote 4

finally seeing the Dark eldar, tau and necron books coming soon. Oh and this... looks like i have something to save for..

• Upvote 1