rllmuk
womblingfree

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

I'm half-way through Judgment. It's pretty much exactly like a Yakuza game. Same engine as Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2, same brawling, same Kamurocho, most of the same minigames, same style of writing and direction, same mix of dramatic main plot and funnier side-stories. The only difference is the detective elements such as tailing people, using a drone and "inspecting" scenes.

So far it's very nearly as good as a Yakuza game. Perhaps the only things that make it "lesser" are that it's Kamurocho-only (and I'm finally feeling over-familiar with Kamurocho), and some of the plot would be funnier and more awesome if it was Kiryu. Oh and it lacks karaoke, so it can never be a real Yakuza game.

On 30/08/2019 at 06:44, Vorgot said:

Thats exactly what I've done, I'm enjoying Yakuza 0, progressing slowly but I won't have the time to play the rest, especially as Zero is lauded as the best one. I'll then be ready to jump in on 7, and I love turn based combat, so that looks great

Problem with that plan is you won’t be playing as Kiryu Kazuma again :(

• Upvote 1

I've played an odd hour or two of the Yakuza games, but never really got into them. I've decided now is the time to rectify this huge mistake in my life. 

so, with the remasters on the way, what is the playing order?  I picked up zero today and as the title suggests I'm starting with that. 

Yup, zero's the place to start.

Only thing is that Yakuza Kiwami isn't quite as good in comparison, being a remake of a much older game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smac said:

Yup, zero's the place to start.

Only thing is that Yakuza Kiwami isn't quite as good in comparison, being a remake of a much older game.

What's a Kiwami. Is it spin off game? How many are there?

What is the correct order to play the games?

Game emailed me a thing earlier with some games coming in January with a nice looking box. Not sure which games are included there, but I think there are 3 of,them.

Yakuza 0

Yakuza Kiwami (remake of Yakuza 1)

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (remake of Yakuza 2)

Yakuza 3 Remastered

Yakuza 4 Remastered (coming soon)

Yakuza 5 Remastered (coming soon)

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Judgment

And then Yakuza: Like A Dragon when it eventually comes out.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, sandman said:

What's a Kiwami. Is it spin off game? How many are there?

Kiwami is Japanese for 'Ultimate'. Yakuza Kiwami is basically a remastered version of the PS2 Yakuza game, with the same for Yakuza Kiwami 2 (with some gameplay additions).

• Upvote 1

Thanks, @harsin; yes, Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza Kiwami 2 are reworked versions of the first 2 games originally released, using the same game engine as 0, I think, with some tweaks and changes/improvements.

So, on PS2/3, you had the original Yakuza, then sequels numbered 2-5, plus a spin-off or two (zombies, Samurai).

On PS4, you originally only had 6 expected as the last in the Kiryu sequence, but they announced 0 as a new prequel story, using the new engine, which came out first. Then we had the news that the Kiwami remakes of 1 and 2 were to be released. So 0, 1 ('Kiwami') 2 Kiwami, 6 and now 3 are out.

So the release order on PS4 is all over the place. I bought 6, but might hang on until they've released 3-5 now and play them in order.

• Upvote 1

Also worth pointing out that Yakuza Kiwami gets a bad rap: it's still a great game and I'm having a blast with it. It just suffers in comparison to Zero, which is a once-in-a-generation all-time classic.

Lots of people would advise to leave time between instalments, i.e. don't play the whole series back-to-back. They're long games and quite samey, so you'll appreciate them more if you spread them out.

15 minutes ago, smac said:

Thanks, @harsin; yes, Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza Kiwami 2 are reworked versions of the first 2 games originally released, using the same game engine as 0, I think, with some tweaks and changes/improvements.

As I understand it:

Zero was a cross-gen PS3/PS4 game (60fps on PS4)

Kiwami uses the Zero engine

Kiwami 2 uses the new Yakuza 6 engine (30fps)

3/4/5 are remastered/upscaled PS3 games (60fps)

6 is the new engine (30fps)

So technologically the series is a bit all over the place too, maybe another reason not to jump straight from one game to the next.

Good advice. I still enjoyed Kiwami when I played it, but 0 is just so good; Majima's intro is the high point of the series so far for me.

• Upvote 1

Also, some Zero advice: the fight at the end of the first chapter is probably the hardest part of the whole game. Make sure you've powered up a bit before then and go in with plenty of healing items. I've seen a few folk bounce off the game at that point, but after that it's just pure awesome all the way to the end.

If you're really struggling with the fight, stick with it and it'll give you the opportunity to drop the difficulty level after a few failures. You can drop it down, power through the fight and then put it back to normal for the rest of the game without any penalties.

• Upvote 1

I played Zero, then Kiwami, then Kiwami 2 more or less one after the other and loved every moment.

I'd played some of the original on Ps2. but it was so long ago I barely remember any of it, and played a bit of 3, but sold it on years ago.

Just jump in, the world is amazing, the characters are amazing, the stories are amazing...

The jump down from Zero to Kiwami was noticable, but didn't bother me at all, though I think I'm more likely to be pulled into a good story than a good technical piece.  

The drop from 60 to 300fps was noticable at first, but just felt normal after an hour or so.

Roll on Feb for the physical release of 3, 4, 5 - 3 being a game I've played before, I'm interested to get into the story having now finished the 3 games prior.

The only downside of the whole thing is that my copy of 6 likely stay sealed for quite some time at this point!

• Upvote 2

Oh god, the car chase sequence in Kiwami. It's so hard.

And there's no save point. I had to turn my PS4 off which means next time I load it up I'm right back to the start of the chapter. Whyyyyy?

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hide contents

And there's no save point. I had to turn my PS4 off which means next time I load it up I'm right back to the start of the chapter. Whyyyyy?

Old school design. Not the best thing to retain in a remake!

Still, should be able to skip a lot of what you read or watched first time out?

I played Kiwami first (after playing Yakuza PS2 all those years ago) and then started 0. I quite liked playing them this way round as 0 is defintely a more complete experience (although Kiwami is still excellent). I also liked seeing the characters younger after getting to know them in Kiwami. Majima is especially interesting as he has become completely unhinged in Kiwami.

Still need to play Kiwami 2 at some point before tackling the others.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hide contents

Yeah, it's unfortunate that they didn't change that bit up. Not that it helps you now, but why didn't you use sleep mode?

20 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, it's unfortunate that they didn't change that bit up. Not that it helps you now, but why didn't you use sleep mode?

My son wanted to play Rocket League. Totally unreasonable I know.

• Empathy 1

I've got to be honest. I really don't like the Dragon Engine games. I hate the wonky physics, the weightless fighting, the lack of moves. Zero with it's 60fps and tons of moves and heat actions really spoiled me.

Zero though what a game you are in for a treat. Best game of 2017 and that was a good year too !

• Upvote 1

Well I did the car chase first time when I went back to it, isn’t that the way it always works out?

Also beat that fucker Majima at bowling, a feat which has evaded me for days, so it’s been a good evening overall. I celebrated by stepping outside and smashing his face in with a plastic bucket. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hide contents

The main thing I hated about it was the lack of inverted aiming. I'd be angry at any other game for not catering to Y-invert people (correct and superior people).

Also the whole sequence happened in Yakuza 0 too, so it felt like repetition. To be fair, Zero probably had a car chase as a homage to Yakuza 1, since Zero somewhat serves as a remix of series highlights.

16 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I've got to be honest. I really don't like the Dragon Engine games. I hate the wonky physics, the weightless fighting, the lack of moves. Zero with it's 60fps and tons of moves and heat actions really spoiled me.

Zero though what a game you are in for a treat. Best game of 2017 and that was a good year too !

Yeah. I prefer the older engine at 60 FPS. If you’ve not played it Fist of the North Star is brilliant.

21 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Sadly, I have to agree. Although having played through Judgment recently, that is absolutely the best that the Dragon Engine has been, and has an amazingly smooth combat system and great gritty look. It does still look kind of... clinical though. Too clean compared to the earlier 0-engine games. 

I'm currently working my way through Yakuza 3, and it's a breath of fresh air compared to Kiwami 2. The change of setting makes a pretty huge impact, and its definitely got a different flava to the previous three games.

Kiryu is also a great dad. 

• Upvote 2

Just a random observation, but I think Judgment is the first game in the PS4 series that doesn't bring up the stock PS4 UI elements when you save and load -- it does what every other game does, just says "loading" or "saving" in its own graphics. I found the Yakuza games to be oddly - and perhaps charmingly - retro because of the saving screens.

• Upvote 1