Spudulis

Prodigy

Jilted Gen is 6music's album of the day and they're been paying a few tracks off it all day. Major trip down memory lane. I've not listened to it for ages but tracks like Poison and Voodoo People are still sounding great. Its basically (along with Leftism and Exit Planet Dust) the album that made me realise there was more to music than guitars and to this day I think its the best Prodigy album by far. Fat of the Land got the publicity because of Firestarter but Jilted Gen is where its at.

Any other fans out there?

• Upvote 2

When I was at Uni Thursday night was band night at the Union. Lots of crap bands played (and a few decent ones) but afterwards the DJ used to play 5 Prodigy songs in a row followed by Smells Like Teen Spirit then Screamager. Pretty much every week was the same. It was brilliant. I think I missed about 4 Thursday nights in 3 years at Uni.

Ah happy days.

I quite like it...well, bits of it. I'm not into the overly ravey sounds of some of the tracks (I was taking a bus trip to school and someone stuck this on the bus' stereo and I didn't know the songs were from the same album, but Poison and No Good, to name but two, seemed like a complete contrast of styles.) Consequently, Their Law and Voodoo People are two of my favourites, although I'm not completely averse to the dancier stuff, and will occasionally stick Break and Enter or One Love on.

Oh, and for some reason I really enjoyed 3 Kilos too.

Wasn't No Good on Experience?

Its weird I think some of the tracks of Jilted Gen have stood the test of time better than most of the rest of the Prodigy's output. Some of their earlier stuff whilst still brilliant does sound really dated now. Out of Space I love but it sounds very much of its time now. Similarly Breate and Firestarter and much of FotL now seem dated but somehow songs like Poison and Voodoo People still sound pretty fresh. Well they do to me anyway.

Yeah it really is an awesome album. 'One Love' is a terrible song though. 'Poison' and 'No Good' are my favourites. Infact, 'No Good' is pretty much one of the defining songs of the 90's for me.

Along with Warren G's Regulate this album defined me and my friends year between '94-'95. It is one of the most complete dance albums there is and surprisingly universal (even my parents like it and they can't stand this type of music normally). No Good is definetly my favourite track on the album and even better live.

It's still a great album although I suspect it'll become one of those records only people who were around at the time will like as we get older. It's rooted in 1994 firmly.

My fave album of theirs for definite. Not so much for the big tunes that were released as singles, but more the darker and more inaccesible pieces on there (the final 3 tunes spring to mind. Claustrophobic Sting is mind-blowing).

It's still a great album although I suspect it'll become one of those records only people who were around at the time will like as we get older. It's rooted in 1994 firmly.

No way, I certainly wasn't into music like that when I was 6 but I find myself listening to MFTJG literally every few days, have been doing so for months now, it's brilliant stuff.

Along with Warren G's Regulate this album defined me and my friends year between '94-'95.

Jesus Christ, you are me and I claim my five pounds.

(Also, add in Gravediggaz's 6 Feet Deep and you have my three most-played albums of that period.)

No Good was the first song I've ever bought fact fans!

But yeah, MFTJG is a strike of genius. Never really got on with Fat of the Land though. Either too punky or too indie for my tastes.

I can't believe M People won the mercury music prize over this album, I still listen to it regular and is among one of the few albums I can listen to in its entirety. 1994 was a fantastic year for albums.

Never really got on with Fat of the Land though. Either too punky or too indie for my tastes.

FotL was a very confused album and also marked the period where I fell out of love with The Prodigy (even though Diesel Power's great - got a good remix of it as well).

I think that still afflicts Howlett's output to this day; Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned is a similar experience for me.

Being around 16 when The Prodigy Experience came out makes that album the most memorable though.

The problem with Experience is it's full of shit remixes. The tunes themselves were fab (Your Love, Charly, Everybody in the Place, etc!), but the album versions were all cack compared to the singles.

The problem with Experience is it's full of shit remixes. The tunes themselves were fab (Your Love, Charly, Everybody in the Place, etc!), but the album versions were all cack compared to the singles.

My thought excatly the single version of Everybody in the place is one of my fav dance tunes but the album version is fucking awful.

My thought excatly the single version of Everybody in the place is one of my fav dance tunes but the album version is fucking awful.

And let us not forget that dreadful album version of Wind it Up (again, single version way better).

At least they didn't botch up Out of Space, the best tune on the album.

Funny, I was listening to poison the other day for the first time in years and yeah it still sounds fresh and original. Interesting to see I'm not the only one who thinks this.

That was because they released their album on a different record label to the one they released their singles on, so they couldn't use any of the original versions on 'Experience'.

I'd also at this point like to champion the inside sleeve art, which is amazing, though I'm a bit biased.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. The album art gets more hilarious every day, like it's got some hilarity stashed away in a high interest account. Let's all enjoy it in technicolour:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/vira..._generation.jpg

I especially like the way he's severing his people's ties to all those smoke-belching factories and power stations, presumably prior to sitting down to enjoy the sound of those huge speakers, which one can only imagine are fuelled by burning excess hair and the lower halves of trouser legs.

That guy's middle finger is very long.

Let's not forget the album art in Experience, which included the band members' special skills and key stats, kind of like Top Trumps. Have tried finding some pics online but to no avail.