Sign in to follow this  
Mr Hatfield

Rum

I'm completely ignorant about rum, but someone gave me a sailor jerry and coke the other week, and it tasted utterly vile. Like cream soda and coke or something. Awful.

Anyway, is all rum like Sailor Jerry?

If not, I'd like to try a decent rum, as I'm a fan of other good spirits but, as I say, have absolutely no idea when it comes to rum. I like the piratical romance of it though. What's a half-decent bottle for me to start on? I don't really want to spend £70. I'm looking for the equivalent of a Laphroig: good, but not overly pricy.

Havan club 7 yo. Or the appletons estate. Drink it neat, or with ice.

A lovely barmaid introduced and offered me a slice of this last night. 

rum_old8.jpg

75% and a mean kick if you're not prepared. Work colleague was smashed after two licks. I rather enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 1

Hurrah a Rum thread!

Current favorite is Diplomatico Reserva as a straight sipping rum, quite sweet and very palatable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diplomatico-Rum-Reserva-Excl-70/dp/B0090I3YSS/ref=lp_1756921031_1_1_a_it?srs=1756921031&ie=UTF8&qid=1506192677&sr=8-1

41bmXK-LG3L.jpg

And for spiced rum I like Rumbullion (also good straight) :

71qUgcIO94L._SL1500_.jpg

For those who struggle with straight spirits, I find with one or two parts coconut water to on part rum finds a nice balance (and makes the drink last longer)

• Upvote 1

This keeps popping up on Amazon deals at £75 (which is about 10% cheaper than i can see it elsewhere) and I am sorely tempted, but £45 a bottle has been my previous ceiling and i am struggling to break that psychological barrier.

61Tdp4TXTVL._SL1000_.jpg

My wife drinks rum and I'll have the odd measure if it's decent.  One's i've liked are El Dorado 15 year old, R L Seals 10 year old and I quite like wray & nephew overproof if I want a strong rum cocktail.

Diplomatico is lovely too so i may have to get some at £36. That Zapac 23 year old sounds great too.

Too much nice booze and not enough money...

Last time I was in Vilnius I found an amazing rum bar named Rhum Room. Wall to wall of every rum you can think of. Had a shot of some of the more expensive rums I wouldn't be able to afford a bottle of, but by far the best was this bad boy -

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/15260/diplomatico-ambassador

I went in fairly cynical, I mean can a bottle of rum really justify that price? It really does. Glorious stuff.

Used to hate Rum, obviously because I'd tried nothing but Bacardi but over the last year have acquired quite an affection for Kraken.

http://www.krakenrum.com/age-gate/

I'm quite a lightweight when it comes to drink and find most spirits undrinkable unless I've literally drowned as much of their taste as I can with a mixer but I'm quite happy drinking Kraken neat with some ice. Lovely stuff with a nice bottle too.

5 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Used to hate Rum, obviously because I'd tried nothing but Bacardi but over the last year have acquired quite an affection for Kraken.

http://www.krakenrum.com/age-gate/

I'm quite a lightweight when it comes to drink and find most spirits undrinkable unless I've literally drowned as much of their taste as I can with a mixer but I'm quite happy drinking Kraken neat with some ice. Lovely stuff with a nice bottle too.

Amazon had the 1l bottles for £25 last christmas.

I'm fiendishly enamoured with Matusalem 23 at the moment. smooth as hell although Diplomatico Rum reserva definitely beats it on price

• Upvote 1

I bought some of this Santiago de Cuba 12-yr old in Cuba when I was there and it’s extremely nice. Quite anfew

locals recommended this over Havana Club. They don’t export it a lot unfortunately so it’s a little pricey when places do get it.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/santiago-de-cuba/santiago-de-cuba-12-year-old-extra-anejo-rum/?utm_content=santiago-de-cuba/santiago-de-cuba-12-year-old-extra-anejo-rum&countryCodeShort=GB&currencyCode=GBP&utm_source=database&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=mom_base_1&agegate=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4J2nuKvk1gIVBxIbCh1d-gHKEAQYASABEgJBzvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ok it's not actual rum that you can drink but has anyone else tried Aldis Rum Raisin and Nut chocolate bar? It don't half make your tabs laugh.

I got some Banana Bombo over Christmas. My God, it tastes exactly like banana flavour Toffos. You can't drink too much due to the sweetness but it's pretty amazing neat with a few ice cubes.

liq_bom5.jpg