rllmuk
Pixelbark

The Man Utd Thread

19 minutes ago, hmm said:

Looking forward to the photo of his face when he missed. 

18 minutes ago, spork said:

Can't be better than when he fell over into the advertising boards. 

f05d6ed2sfo11.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&s

• Upvote 2

All we can hope for now is to lose at West Ham on Saturday and José gets the boot. I just can’t see any improvement under his leadership and the season has barely got going. What a mess.

6 hours ago, JPL said:

All we can hope for now is to lose at West Ham on Saturday and José gets the boot. I just can’t see any improvement under his leadership and the season has barely got going. What a mess.

Wanting the team to get beat :lol:

So we get beat and the manager loses his job, how does that fix everything else that is wrong at the club?

There is no cohesive forward thinking or plan in place, it's all reactive as they stumble from one decision to the next. So the manager goes why do you think we'll do any better appointing the next?

9 months ago the club extended his contract, 4 months ago they decided they didn't trust  his decision making in the transfer market and vetoed transfers. I mean out of interest what exactly qualifies some investment banker to make football decisions like transfer targets. The anecdotal/ media reporting behind this was they didn't like him buying short term, experienced players but they knew he did this when they appointed him. Why is it suddenly not OK?

This is a club that buys players without thinking where they'll play or how they'll fit it or help them settle. Oh there's Di Maria, lets buy him to show we're still relevant despite not being in the Champions League. Oh, lets buy Sanchez to get one over City, to hell with where he plays. How many times have we wasted months chasing obviously completely unattainable players? Every pre-season since 2013/14? I'm sure Varane, Bale and Sergio Ramos are all going to leave for us next year. I genuinely believe the club attempts to buy massively high profile players with little to no input from the manager.

It's a mismatch of players from different regimes, new managers coming in with different philosophies and no consistency. They throw money at it and try to force winning but there's no plan behind it. Bit like the Galacticos but without the European Cup and leagues at the start.

Of course on the other hand the club has never been richer, made more money or had such commercial success.

• Upvote 9

Yeah it's a funny one, there are four teams in the league who I would say all are playing at a much higher level, who've spent either a similar amount of money or less since Fergie retired. I wouldn't put too much of this on Jose, after all the last two seasons he gave us are probably the best we've had in this new era. I think the main issue is the lack of long term vision, or anyone above the manager who is concerned with the viability and health of the squad. Woodward is good at the commercial stuff, but the setup in terms of player recruitment feels woefully outmoded. Other teams are getting players that suit their system, that other teams might overlook, that they feel they can improve. Compare that with us seemingly buying whoever the tabloids want us to. We have to try and go about our business in a less public and more methodical way.

The club has to change its structure I feel, we need a sporting director. There has been a void in the decision making process ever since Fergie and David Gill left (maybe even before that, if you compared us to how the likes of Bayern Munich have long operated) - plus all the clearing out Moyes did - that has seemingly yet to be replaced with anything. It would've been much easier to do this just as Fergie left - could've promoted someone like Meulensteen into the position and provided some continuity. It just goes to show again what shit owners the Glazers are, they didn't take charge of the situation or provide any vision. I can understand the impulse to let the club's most successful manager dictate the terms of his succession, but it was weak and gutless to not impose any conditions or structure upon that transition. With the position we're in now, it's going to be a lot more difficult and we'll probably need an appointment from outside - apparently this is a search that has been ongoing for a while. But it needs doing, and I'd accept some distruption and poor(er) results in the short term, if genuine steps were taken to fix the structural problems at the club. I just want to see the team playing with a clear identity and feel like we're going somewhere, more than anything.

Very early in the season to be having an inquisition like this of course, things will probably get better. But I feel like the aimlessness of the football "bit" of Manchester United will eventually start affecting the larger corporation - as well as it is seemingly doing regardless.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tbb said:

No one actually cares about the EFL Cup until the Semi's anyway do they? 

The only time anyone cares about it is if you get near the end and have a chance of winning, or when your rivals crash out to a lower league club. 

I wouldn't actually want him at United. He's every bit as negative tactically as Mourinho, he's just less volatile with his man management. That's not to say he's better at man management - players either love or hate Jose, they just seem to find Benitez to be a bit odd and dull. He's actually quite poor at man management - look at the situation with Mitrovic, most recently - but the fall-out tends to be much less spectacular.

If Jose left tomorrow, I think we'd need someone who specializes in improving morale and getting teams pulling in the same direction. So Kevin Keegan, obviously.

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I wouldn't actually want him at United. He's every bit as negative tactically as Mourinho, he's just less volatile with his man management. That's not to say he's better at man management - players either love or hate Jose, they just seem to find Benitez to be a bit odd and dull. He's actually quite poor at man management - look at the situation with Mitrovic, most recently - but the fall-out tends to be much less spectacular.

If Jose left tomorrow, I think we'd need someone who specializes in improving morale and getting teams pulling in the same direction. So Kevin Keegan, obviously.

Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce then? :P  Hang on what's Alan Pardew doing these days :)

i was just about to post the line up...but i may have also just got up lol

4312... is it?...i mean that could work, fellani will prob push up to make a nuisance of himself lol

20 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I think football has moved on from Benitez and Mourinho who were both at the top of the game nearly a decade ago but Klopp and Pep's tactics are the standard now. If Mourinho stays until the end of the season I'm sure United will grind out a top 4 finish because the players are just too good to finish below that but it's going to be unwatchable for most it.