rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

I did the Molecomb corner grandstand years ago, and yes a telephoto does help, but be aware that being a temporary stand means a lot of supports and PA system stuff in the way.

I just don't think the Festival is the sort of event that needs a top end zoom lens. The Revival will pay back with far more, the circuit is open, has plenty of good vantage points and would reward the investment. 

The closeness of Fos means you're going to be lugging round a big old lens for maybe a dozen good shots. I'd be paranoid about damaging a hire lens in that environment, all those elbows out "professionals".

It sounds like i'm trying to put you off doesn't it .. i'm not :) honestly 

You're probably right.  I've got Canon's entry level 55-250mm lens (this one) so that'll probably be fine as long as it's bright enough.  I'm fairly sure the limiting factor on my photography is still me rather than the glass anyway :)

I've decided to take a little break from digital and switch over to 35mm. I've just bought a Minolta XD-7 SLR and I'm really enjoying shooting on film, very satisfying. Quick question for the celluloid guys here; what happens if I switch ASA mid-roll? For example, if I'm shooting on ASA100 film and I decide to push the ASA up to 200 for one shot before switching back, will that affect the rest of my photos? Just curious about what the effects are and why!

24 minutes ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

I've decided to take a little break from digital and switch over to 35mm. I've just bought a Minolta XD-7 SLR and I'm really enjoying shooting on film, very satisfying. Quick question for the celluloid guys here; what happens if I switch ASA mid-roll? For example, if I'm shooting on ASA100 film and I decide to push the ASA up to 200 for one shot before switching back, will that affect the rest of my photos? Just curious about what the effects are and why!

Nope, won't effect the rest of your photos. You've under exposed one stop on a shot, most films have a latitude that allows this.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone want a Fujifilm S1 bridge camera. I just bought it for £219 and it's actually in excellent condition, but my main annoyance is that after every burst it spends seconds storing the shots to the card. I have the fastest cards. I can't be doing with that. 

i chose it over others because of its 50x zoom and iso 12800 and weather resistant body. And wifi remote use. There aren't any available anywhere. Just one on amazon uk for £300..

I didn't want to leave Panasonic because their functionality is superb. But they made a fz82 with no articulated screen the bastards. It is perfect except that. And every other addition has gone large sensor, less zoom, twice the weight, like little tanks. Only looking because my fz150 has dust on the sensor, and can't be opened up. Thought maybe time to find something else with better low light and zoom. 

edit: i sent it back, which is the easiest option. :facepalm:

Anyone having utter shit with Lightroom Classic CC at the moment? By utter shit I mean just getting dead slow to respond to edits. I can be trying to use sliders on an adjustment brush and its taking a good 5 seconds to respond. 

Stats - MBP running 10.13.5 (High Sierra) 2.53Ghz i5 8GB with all apps installed to a SSD and I've also moved my catalogue files to the SSD to (with no performance improvement). I've also tried using a shared catalogue on CC cloud storage on my work MBP which is running same OS, i7 with 16gb and 3.2Ghz and an SSD clock speed. Still runs like a dog. Lightroom GPU acceleration is off on both Macs.

The only way I've managed to get any improvement is to roll back Lightroom Classic CC to version 7.1 (latest release is 7.3.1) on both Macs

I've even started toying with the idea of building a PC just for a Lightroom rig; though I've read over the past few days that the sluggish performance with Lightroom is not unique to Macs. Anyone else having similar issues? or know any work arounds?

21 hours ago, idiwa said:

Anyone having utter shit with Lightroom Classic CC at the moment? By utter shit I mean just getting dead slow to respond to edits. I can be trying to use sliders on an adjustment brush and its taking a good 5 seconds to respond. 

Stats - MBP running 10.13.5 (High Sierra) 2.53Ghz i5 8GB with all apps installed to a SSD and I've also moved my catalogue files to the SSD to (with no performance improvement). I've also tried using a shared catalogue on CC cloud storage on my work MBP which is running same OS, i7 with 16gb and 3.2Ghz and an SSD clock speed. Still runs like a dog. Lightroom GPU acceleration is off on both Macs.

The only way I've managed to get any improvement is to roll back Lightroom Classic CC to version 7.1 (latest release is 7.3.1) on both Macs

I've even started toying with the idea of building a PC just for a Lightroom rig; though I've read over the past few days that the sluggish performance with Lightroom is not unique to Macs. Anyone else having similar issues? or know any work arounds?

I'm running it on PC. An 8 core i7-7820X, 128GB of DDR4 with a 1080Ti and several TB's of SSD storage.

Can confirm it runs like absolute fucking shit. Not quite 5 seconds to respond but not far off it, everything is so sluggish - it's like wading through treacle. Even by Adobe's very low standards it's appalling. Glad it's not just me then. 

• Upvote 1

I switched to using Lightroom CC a while back now for the cloud storage and intergration between desktop, mobile and browser apps.

Had zero issues* running CC on my 2015 11" Macbook Air with i5 and 4GB of ram. I suspected Adobe are putting more development into CC than Classic these days.

*I'm mostly working with film scans and 16MP m4/3 RAW files, your experience may very with larger files.

• Upvote 1

On 25/07/2018 at 17:44, petrolgirls said:

I'm running it on PC. An 8 core i7-7820X, 128GB of DDR4 with a 1080Ti and several TB's of SSD storage.

Can confirm it runs like absolute fucking shit. Not quite 5 seconds to respond but not far off it, everything is so sluggish - it's like wading through treacle. Even by Adobe's very low standards it's appalling. Glad it's not just me then. 

Thanks man @petrolgirls and sorry for not replying to this sooner. Yeah I imagine you'll have a beast of a machine for your postproduction work. Good to know that even uber machines are running crap but also worrying that its this bad.

On 30/07/2018 at 09:51, Ste_S said:

I switched to using Lightroom CC a while back now for the cloud storage and intergration between desktop, mobile and browser apps.

Had zero issues* running CC on my 2015 11" Macbook Air with i5 and 4GB of ram. I suspected Adobe are putting more development into CC than Classic these days.

*I'm mostly working with film scans and 16MP m4/3 RAW files, your experience may very with larger files.

I've experimented with Lightroom CC and It's pretty decent on my phone (although I wish there was some way on painting back in an erased mask :( ) The biggest pisser I have with Lightroom CC on desktop over Classic is that its not using virtual copies, it creates physical copies. 

So the last time I tried CC it didn't have tone curves which rendered it pretty pointless. A quick search suggests they've added curves recently so I might give it another go. 

I’ve never owned a dslr m, or been seriously into photography. However since my daughter was born I’d like to learn the craft and take some memorable pics of her growing up (plus nature pics & landscape). 

A photographer her friend says to get the canon m50 for the first year or two  

anyone here think otherwise?

TL;DR - I’d recommend investing into a more established system like Canon/Nikon mirrored or m43/Fuji/Sony mirrorless. 

I’ve not used Canon mirrorless, but it doesn’t seem to be a very mature system in terms of what lenses are available - in particular, not many fast primes (fixed focal length lenses with a low f/ number, which lets you create that blurred-background look and get decent shutter speeds in poor light), which are great for photographing babies and kids. You can use regular Canon lenses on the EOS-M with an adapter, but at that point you may as well have just got the mirrored one.

The mirrorless options from Sony, Fuji and the micro 4/3rds System (AKA m43, Olympus and Panasonic’s joint venture) have a lot more options, lens wise, as do the conventional mirrored DSLRs from Canon/Nikon. 

The only mirrorless mount I have direct experience of is m43, which I’ve used for about 7 years, off and on. I like it a lot - the size advantage over other mounts is very real, and there are heaps of fast primes and cheap and cheerful lenses, with a well developed second-hand market. The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is a fantastic cheap baby lens, and there are cheap options for shorter focal lengths too. You can pick if you want DSLR style bodies, or more compact rangefinder style bodies (like my Pen-F). 

Oh, and welcome to the money pit. 

On 07/08/2018 at 23:14, joemul said:

I’ve never owned a dslr m, or been seriously into photography. However since my daughter was born I’d like to learn the craft and take some memorable pics of her growing up (plus nature pics & landscape). 

A photographer her friend says to get the canon m50 for the first year or two  

anyone here think otherwise?

To be honest, use the camera on your phone. A lot. You''ll always have it with you, stills quality is fine for the internets and A4 prints, and it'll take better video than the entry level digital cameras.

Learn to anticipate when your kids do 'things'. Learn about composition and lighting.

If after having it used it for a while you find it limiting, and know why you find it limiting, then look for something else. Keep in mind though that you won't always have it with you. I know a lot of people who have bought DSLRs to take photos of their kids, but end up taking the majority of photos with their phone as it's to hand.

If however you're #buyer and want something shiny, then knock yourself out ;)

• Upvote 1

Cheers Ste. Good advice there.

Last (daft) question - where or how is the best way to get quality prints from iPhone. Boots? Freeprints? Some service i've not heard of?

I've always used the Jessops online service for my photo books. Their software is the most friendly, you can download it, sort teh style and look of the book, plenty of choice, then upload the whole thing in one hit to jessops. 

I've used snapfish a few times, but i think the website is a bit trick to navigate. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, joemul said:

Cheers Ste. Good advice there.

Last (daft) question - where or how is the best way to get quality prints from iPhone. Boots? Freeprints? Some service i've not heard of?

A decent lab will do C-Type prints - where lasers burn the image onto light sensitive paper and they tend to pretty nice. 

Otherwise, home ink jet printers are pretty good, at least for colour. I do a lot of my own printing on a cheap Canon ink jet and quality for colour prints is pretty good as long as you use decent paper. I like Jessops (!) Satin 240gsm paper, does colour nicely and prints true B&W.

• Upvote 1