Sign in to follow this  
Mitchell

Overcoming personal hatred of artists.

I find it tremendously difficult to listen to bands/solo artists if I dislike someone.

Damon Albarn, for example. I fucking hate him. I simply cannot get past the podgy smug little cunts face when I listen to Blur/Gorillaz/Good, Bad, Queen. It's such a shame.

I was also going to put Kelly Jones as well, but the Sterophonics are shit, so that doesn't count. That's just a bonus.

Was having a debate with a bloke about this yesterday. My stance is that it's all about the art that's been created, not the artist who created it. We were mainly talking about artists' political viewpoints really.

Thing is, if I didn't listen to artists that were homophobic or racist, I'd hardly have anything to listen to (I mainly listen to Metal).

Obviously if the message of a song contains something that offended me, I wouldn't listen to it. I'd never buy a Skrewdriver album, for example. But if I didn't like an artist on a personal level, it wouldn't bother me so long as the music was good.

And if you've enjoyed a Disney film in your lifetime, it works out fairly similar, as he was a right cunt.

To be honest I just don't bother trying to reconcile it. There's enough other music around to like instead.

Actually just the band name is enough to put me off in some cases. Art Brut? Cansei de Ser Sexy? Fuck off.

Williams is a complete cunt, an absoloute cocknugget, if its not his face that annoys you it should be his voice and if not his voice then his pathetic lyrics, his posing smug videos or the fact that he steals more from other artists than oasis ever did.

I tend to not give a shit what the band members are called or even look like with most bands to be honest, because I wouldnt want to be listening to a cunts music. When I met Less Than Jake and two of them stormed off shoving my mate out of the way in the process I lost a lot of respect for them, and percieved them differently.

Okay, Pete Doherty, every time I hear that man's name I want to punch a wall in, not only for the obvious reaons, but also because I simply fail to understand what it is about the average-at-best music he's been responsible for.

Robbie Williams is often seen as an easy target, but for good reason. Like Doherty he makes mediocre music at best, yet seems to be eternally facinating to the media and people with little imagination.

i absolutely loathe the scissor sisters.

tossers.

:wub:

I did pretend to like the Scissor Sisters to get with a young lady once. She saw right through it and buggered off with another fella. Never again.

*Everyone* should hate Robbie Williams.

Seconded. He's an absolute shit bag.

For some reason I hate the lead guy from Razorlight. It might be the fact that he struts around like he's some kind of sex god when in actual fact he has the physique of a ten year old starving Albanian boy and a face like a retarded horse.

Sad fact is I still like some of their music. So now that my shame is out there: I'm off to kill myself.

Seconded. He's an absolute shit bag.

For some reason I hate the lead guy from Razorlight. It might be the fact that he struts around like he's some kind of sex god when in actual fact he has the physique of a ten year old starving Albanian boy and a face like a retarded horse.

Sad fact is I still like some of their music. So now that my shame is out there: I'm off to kill myself.

Make sure you do it right... I don't want you helping them remain in the music industry.

Nice knowing you, dude, I hope you have a great suicide.

If I know it's a total cunt behind it then any trace interest I had in the music would disappear completely.

I'm usually like that, but I'm obviously quite fickle because there are exceptions.

_41434156_markesmith_203.jpg

Make sure you do it right... I don't want you helping them remain in the music industry.

Oh I'd never do anything as crass as buying any of their stuff. Now that would be wrong.

Nice knowing you, dude, I hope you have a great suicide.

Cheers. I will try. Going to go for the Michael Hutchence* option.

*Edit: Who I hated.

I've hated him since I first saw them on CD:UK with their first single.

Cat Deeley was - very matter of factly - saying how before gigs he couldn't bear to be in the same room as the other band members, or even look at them (something along those lines). I couldn't understand why she was telling us this, or who was responsible for getting her to say it. Were you supposed to think that makes him "cool" because he's so fucking intense, or something?

Anyway, since then, without any other information, I've always thought of him as an pretentious twat (with a shite voice).

Cat Deeley was - very matter of factly - saying how before gigs he couldn't bear to be in the same room as the other band members, or even look at them (something along those lines). I couldn't understand why she was telling us this, or who was responsible for getting her to say it. Were you supposed to think that makes him "cool" because he's so fucking intense, or something?

I'm going to give Cat the benefit of the doubt and assume that she was trying to make him out to be a cunt on national telly with out being too obvious.

This is the reason I try to avoid learning anything about the people behind the music (unless I know they will be interesting). If I know it's a total cunt behind it then any trace interest I had in the music would disappear completely.

Especially as you listen to one-man Black Metal projects! Not many philanthropists in that crowd ;-)

The music tends to make me hate someone rather than the other way round. See Razorlight, The View, Keane and countless others. Just like Rsdio this is good news for The Fall. Great music. Horrible personality.

I was visibly shaken when I discovered Beck is a scientologist. I find myself listening to less and less of his music now.

The same thing happened with U2 when I discovered Bono is a prick.

I'm doing well in that I have detested everyone mentioned so far, and their music.

Apart from The Fall.

I'll add Jamie Cullum, Muse, Dido, and James Blunt. Horrible in every way, the lot of 'em.