Sign in to follow this  
djbhammer

Best Dreamcast games?

I got hold of a dreamcast and a bundle of games yesterday (thanks Pootle).

I was just wondering if anyone can let me know of any 'must have' games for the Dreamcast. I've got Virtua Tennis which I know is one of the best but any recommendations would be great. Cheers.

You're spoilt for choice, really.

Powerstone, Soul Calibre, Shenmue, MSR, Marvel v Capcom 2, Jet Set Radio, Ready to Rumble, Toy Commander, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Rayman 2 should get you off to a good start.

Well, theres loads! I had nearly 200 (which I'm not flogging)

If I could pick 5, I would go with:

Sword of Berserk

Space Channel 5 Part 2

Rez

Cosmic Smash

Shenmue

Never really got the appeal of Toy Commander.

Had a games session over the xmas and brought the cast with a selection of multiplayer games. Here's what I brought.

Super Puzzel Fighter 2

Chu Chu Rocket

Puyo Puyo Fever (or Puyo 4 for 4 player)

Sega Sports Jam

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Power Stone 1 & 2

Capcaom Vs. SNK 2

International Track & Field

Virtua Athlete 2K

Giant Gram 2000

Virtua Fighter 3tb

Mark of the Wolves

Under Defeat

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike

Fire Pro D

Virtua Tennis 2

Virtua Tennis was the best from all the games (GoW HD, Pro Evo 6, Halo 2), in four player it's sublime.

Fire Pro D offered up some moments of greatness, Kurt Angle (my mate) vs. Shawn Michaels (me), at the start of the match Angle does a taunt, I deliver a swift superkick to the face, CRITICAL! match over. :(

Also all the other stuff,

Cosmic Smash, Rez, Crazy Taxis, Rival Schools 2, Samba, Shenmues, Calibur, Bangai-O, do a search there's tons of stuff.

You're spoilt for choice, really.

Powerstone, Soul Calibre, Shenmue, MSR, Marvel v Capcom 2, Jet Set Radio, Ready to Rumble, Toy Commander, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Rayman 2 should get you off to a good start.

All those, plus F355 Challenge, and these...

Virtua Tennis 2 - It's better than the first one, IMO, thanks to slightly smoother animation and responsiveness.

Ecco the Dolphin - Really difficult, but once you get into it it's superb.

Headhunter - Bit dated now, but very nice music.

Sonic Adventure 2 - Well I like it. :(

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Tied with 3 for the best in the series.

San Francisco Rush 2049 - Stunt mode is a bit random, but it's a nice racing game, especially in multiplayer.

Dead or Alive 2 - When you get bored with Soul Calibur (which will take quite a while!)

House of the Dead 2 with two guns !

I still reckon this is the best light gun game ever :(

and then if you have that you might as well get Confidential mission, to get some more use out of the guns.

Also Sega Bass Fishing to relax to, with a fishing rod of course.

then get typing of the dead, with two keyboards.

follow it Samba with maraccas and Seaman with a microphone and your ridiculous dreamcast peripheral collection will be complete !

Bangai-O: I thought there would be more people opting for this. In our ZedTwo days somebody came into work and he'd picked it up for a tenner in Game that morning. Cue 4 or 5 of us walking to the Arndale that lunch to get copies. Fantastic and bonkers.

Powerstone: The reason I bought my Dreamcast; after seeing somebody playing this in an office. And I don't normally like fighters.

House of the Dead 2: Great lightgun game and silly script. "Don't come, don't come!", "Suffer like G did" etc. etc.

Bangai-O: I thought there would be more people opting for this. In our ZedTwo days somebody came into work and he'd picked it up for a tenner in Game that morning. Cue 4 or 5 of us walking to the Arndale that lunch to get copies. Fantastic and bonkers.

I found it for a fiver in Gamestation a few years ago, but I took it back a couple of days later because I couldn't get into it. (Well, that and the loading screens made a worryingly loud whirring noise that didn't sound too healthy; in fact, it was immediately afterwards that my DC started playing up for the first time.)

But now, considering how popular it is, I wish I'd persisted a bit longer. :) I don't know what I was thinking; normally I keep games for ages even if I'm not initially keen on them. Oh well, at least it means someone else got a cheap copy...

It's still a fiver in Gamestation though ;) I still think Daytona is the best game on the Dreamcast. And Rez, perhaps. But Daytona means a whole lot more to me that Rez does so yeah, Daytona it is. With a wheel.

I love the bonkers sound effects ;)

Well, Shenmue 1 and 2 of course. They remain within the top three of my best game ever league. Although really, I count them as a single entity - leaving room for HL2 and Halo.

The great thing I've always found with the DC is that there's very little debate on the good games - inasmuch as the quality of the things shine though very clearly.

And the machine still has the best display output via RGB than any other games machine I've ever attached to my behemoth of a CRT!

I feel that the two Dreamcast games which will be most interesting to future generations are Shenmue I and II. They're just like nothing else out there and I don't see games like that ever being made again. The sheer over the topness of the budget, attention to detail and the careful tuning of the story and gameplay are things I think are really unique to the time and the format. I'm not a big Shenmue fanboy, I just find the games extremely unique.

Then again, Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis are pretty much top of the genre even today IMO.

marine fishing and bass fishing are well worth picking up, you can also get the fision rod for about a fiver now.

plus another vote for crazy taxi, and virtua tennis 1 & 2. Ooga booga's also worth a go.

House of the Dead 2 with two guns !

I still reckon this is the best light gun game ever :wub:

and then if you have that you might as well get Confidential mission, to get some more use out of the guns.

Also Sega Bass Fishing to relax to, with a fishing rod of course.

then get typing of the dead, with two keyboards.

follow it Samba with maraccas and Seaman with a microphone and your ridiculous dreamcast peripheral collection will be complete !

My friend has the most ridiculous collection of DC peripherals I have ever seen. Off the top of my head, he's got the Maracas (official), Seaman and the mike, thid fishing rod, the karaoke add on, the camera, twin sticks, 2 light guns, a dance mat, a wierd controller that has 7 buttons on (pop n something?), the train sim controller, 4 keyboards, and various other special edition pads and stuff (capcom and snk saturn style pads being the most notable). This is to go along with his blue Hello Kitty console, which came with a hello kitty pad, memory card and keyboard. I'm sure there's other stuff I cant remember now too.

The bastard thing is he offered to sell me the lot for £250 not long ago. I'd snap it off him for that if I could afford to.

Crazy Taxi. Best version by far.

In what sense? I've long since packed my DC away (and no, not because I'm biased against Sega, before you ask) but was hankering for a bit of ker-azy action so I bought the GC version off ebay for pennies the other day and it plays lovely. In fact I'd go as far to say it's slightly better because I've always hated the DC pad and the 'cube's triggers are more comfortable.

In what sense? I've long since packed my DC away (and no, not because I'm biased against Sega, before you ask) but was hankering for a bit of ker-azy action so I bought the GC version off ebay for pennies the other day and it plays lovely. In fact I'd go as far to say it's slightly better because I've always hated the DC pad and the 'cube's triggers are more comfortable.

Hmm, ok, in fairness, the GC version is the only one I have no experience of. However, it is definitely better than the PS2 version, which apart from the PC one (which to me is just wrong in principal) it's the only one I considered when making the assessment.