rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Broker

Final Fantasy Tactics reborn on the PSP

Is there much in the PSP version to recommend it over the original? I've got the original sitting about at home unplayed, but might pick up the PSP version if the extra content is any good.

I think it's probably worth it for the new translation alone. Earlier in this thread peeps were saying that the original's script was terrible and that some of the items/weapons had ridiculous mis-translated names.

I think it's probably worth it for the new translation alone. Earlier in this thread peeps were saying that the original's script was terrible and that some of the items/weapons had ridiculous mis-translated names.

Yeah, exactly this. The script is at times incomprehensible in the original version. Plus yeah, some of the attack names were ridiculous - the original 'ice/fire/thunder breath' attack which dragon enemies do were translated as ice/fire/thunder bracelet. The new version of the script doesn't just make it understandable, it makes it beautiful. Same guy who translated Vagrant Story, FFXII and the Ace Attorney games. :blink:

Plus; there are the new beautiful cutscenes and extra characters in the PSP version which are just lovely.

the original 'ice/fire/thunder breath' attack which dragon enemies do were translated as ice/fire/thunder bracelet.

:blink: How does that make sense?

What is the better game? The DS A2 or the PSP FFT?

They're very different. The PSP version has a fantastic plot and is brutally difficult. The DS version has practically no plot and is ridiculously easy, becoming more of a character toolkit that you can play around with. I liked them both, but if you're new to the series then the DS version will be a much more gentle introduction.

I don't get on with the PSP version. I think it's mainly because you can't cancel your movement once you've made it, if you go to attack and find you've moved on to the wrong square. That's not the only thing, but it annoyed me immensely.

I love the DS version, though.

I don't get on with the PSP version. I think it's mainly because you can't cancel your movement once you've made it, if you go to attack and find you've moved on to the wrong square. That's not the only thing, but it annoyed me immensely.

Fixing your movement forces you to commit, for better or worse. It can ramp the difficulty of a battle right up if you just move 1 square short meaning you just can't quite reach. Love it.

The fixed movement is a little dated now, yes, but surely the judges and all those bloody awful rules in the DS versions are far more irritiating?

I've been playing this and loving it, but I've been grinding up some of my team to get

teleportation, shiandori and double wield

before I head of to

Goug

, but all of a sudden it seems like a switch has been flipped and all my random battles end up in defeat or death of my characters!

Grr! :(

Damn you all, you've made this sound excellent.. I better get playing this.

Also, met Hitoshi Sakimoto the other day and got him to sign my FFT cover :-p

B-b-b-bump.

Tactics is one of my favourite games of all time, so I was really, really pumped for this. But the slowdown ruined it for me - it bothered me every time I saw it. Having even the basic potion animations take twice as long as they should, every time, just grated too much. It also bothered me that Square not only didn't fix it, but actually released the same lag-ridden version on other platforms.

Well, somebody who doesn't work for Square fixed it. On PSP at least.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8490.0

You need a hackable PSP, and about three minutes to set it up. Just did it myself and it runs perfectly. Amazing work.

I downloaded this onto my Vita the other day. Haven't had enough time to sit down and play through the opening yet, but I can't wait.

I'm definitely not watching that video of how it looks without slowdown, I can't remember the PSone version at all so the PSP one looks fine to me ;)

Hah, the video is actually just a little guide on how to make it work. I tried my best to ignore it, but when you start getting to the later, lengthier spells/summons, the slowdown is really just atrocious. This fix essentially makes it the definitive version.

I just finished this on the iPad. 

I need somewhere to say holy fucking shit at the sting right at end of the final sequence. GoT worthy. 

Great game this, though they really didn't give a fuck about soft lock difficult levels in the 90s, didn't they. 

• Upvote 1