Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Dark Knight

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15774

Source: Warner Bros

As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's The New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun, which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster's Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

"Chris' unique vision is what made 'Batman Begins' such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of 'The Dark Knight,'" said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with 'Batman Begins,'" added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

Which is why it could work. I would have never thought about him, but who knows. A great performance and some good make up work go a long way.

This will probably be a lot darker than the first one, if thats possible. Not sure about ledger as the joker but who knows it might work. have my doubts though.

I'm finding it really difficult to picture Heath ledger as the joker. He's far to big that i just can't picture him in that role.

Bale is too small to be Batman, but nobody seemed to notice. It'll be fine!

Of course, I'm still seething at how rubbish Batman Begins was. :D

Heath Ledger will be wonderful. he will play a genuine psychotic, rather than a characture of jack nicholson or jim carrey.

he's a great actor and is capable of lending real depth to the character.

Well, as long the action scenes are a bit more view-able, I'll be happy. The first one was ace and anyone who says otherwise is DEMENTED.

I hated the fight scenes where you couldn't see anything.

I hated how Batman is so much shorter than Liam Neeson.

I hated the Bat Tank.

I hated that Batman didn't even develop his own gadgets anymore.

I hated Katie Holmes.

...I think that's it. The rest was sweet, though.

I hated the fight scenes where you couldn't see anything.

I hated how Batman is so much shorter than Liam Neeson. I wasn't bothered

I hated the Bat Tank. Agreed

I hated that Batman didn't even develop his own gadgets anymore. Agreed

I hated Katie Holmes. Very much AGREED

...I think that's it. The rest was sweet, though.

It was awesome though. The fight scenes could have been much better. In fact, if you have the DVD then you can see them without the stupid editing, and they are actually really good.

Well, as long the action scenes are a bit more view-able, I'll be happy. The first one was ace and anyone who says otherwise is DEMENTED.

Yep, I just don't buy into the reasoning that the fighting scenes where supposed to be the way they where in the first movie.

Ledger's a good actor, he should be able to do the Joker justice. As long as he has more of a role than Scarecrow did.

Ledger's a good actor, he should be able to do the Joker justice. As long as he has more of a role than Scarecrow did.

"Hey, look at me! I'm dead scary! [bzz] Oh no! I've been tazered to death!"

Fucking hell, if there's a way you wouldn't want to go out, it's being tazered. By Katie Holmes.

Yep, I just don't buy into the reasoning that the fighting scenes where supposed to be the way they where in the first movie.

Why? It's clear that it's a directorial decision as you'll notice the earlier fights before he becomes Batman are not directed that way at all.

I can't see Heath Ledger as the Joker to be honest. But I'm really looking forward to being proved wrong.

I really hope the plot's not too convoluted. I don't want to see the joker setting up an eleborate crime caper. Play him a straight psychopath: a stabby, shooty, poisoningy psycho with a sick sense of humour.

I think it'd be interesting to see Gotham's reponse to Bats, too; perhaps the emergence of these high profile sickos would turn opinion against him? Cueing his own emerging self doubt and growing obsession with catching the joker.

It was awesome though. The fight scenes could have been much better. In fact, if you have the DVD then you can see them without the stupid editing, and they are actually really good.

Eh? What's different on the DVD?

Why? It's clear that it's a directorial decision as you'll notice the earlier fights before he becomes Batman are not directed that way at all.

As much as I like Nolan's output his previous films had no fight sequences like the ones in Batman Begins. I thought they where almost amateur in the way they where shot. The film's good, don't get me wrong.

You know the bit in The Simpsons where Homer turns off the lights on his car, and Wiggum says 'Oh my God, a ghost car! We get a lot of ghost cars"?

They basically rip that off in Begins, but they weren't kidding - they were serious that that huge fucking thing was TOTALLY UNDETECTABLE in the dark.

THAT is why I hate the Bat Tank. That and the fact that it's ugly, slow, and somehow didn't manage to lose the police even though it drove half the way back over rooftops and shit. COME ON.

nah, the batman is a response to the psychos, not a trigger. :D

Debatable, since Bats is arguably the biggest psycho of them all.

I like the idea that he might be doing as much harm as he prevents.

They basically rip that off in Begins, but they weren't kidding - they were serious that that huge fucking thing was TOTALLY UNDETECTABLE in the dark.

Er, so why did one of the police notice it moving past and shout out? HMMMM.

THAT is why I hate the Bat Tank. That and the fact that it's ugly, slow, and somehow didn't manage to lose the police even though it drove half the way back over rooftops and shit. COME ON.

You're right. I don't suppose the police helicopter following it had anything do with the police being right behind it.

The film has problems, but those are pretty weak criticisms. For the record, I liked the movie.

I just generally hated the plot, the city, the atmosphere (which was non-existant) and the editing. Rubbish movie.

Hope this is better - Insomnia was certainly very good. Maybe we'll be actually able to see what's going on now?! Now that would be amazing...

As much as I like Nolan's output his previous films had no fight sequences like the ones in Batman Begins. I thought they where almost amateur in the way they where shot. The film's good, don't get me wrong.

But the fight scenes at the beginning (in the prison, the training etc) are all handled differently. More traditionally. You can see everything. My point was that the later Batman scenes are deliberately shot that way. It was nothing to do with whether or not Nolan can direct fights as he shows earlier on that he clearly can.

I just generally hated the plot, the city, the atmosphere (which was non-existant) and the editing. Rubbish movie.

Hope this is better - Insomnia was certainly very good. Maybe we'll be actually able to see what's going on now?! Now that would be amazing...

Say, didn't Anton Furst commit suicide?

I can understand what they were trying to do with the fast-cutting of the fight scenes, but they overdid it. A little would have been fine (for instance, smashing that thugs head into the mirror in the bathroom - it's unseen and quick) but we do actually need to see the fighting.

I appreciate the idea, but in practise they need to show much more, whilst still retaining quick-cut bits to emphasise speed, violence and of course the confusion of being attacked in the dark or by surprise.