rllmuk
Rowan Morrison

Audio Club

Hey, I was looking for some more synthy help.

Using my roland synth, I've been trying to make a lo-fi spooky electric organ sound like in this song -

Everything I'm coming up with is a bit useless. Have you got any idea of which sort of waveforms I might need to use to create something like that? I've tried keeping it simple and making it complicated but I'm not getting anywhere. I didn't think filters would be much of an issue but maybe they are?

Failing that, any idea what that kind of organ would be called so I can find someone else's synthmaster preset?

@chris on the moon I'd probably be trying a couple of sines an octave apart plus a saw for a little bit of buzz. Little bit of chorus too maybe?

Alternatively you could look for a Farfisa preset, should be able to find something similar.

Sorry @chris on the moon, I haven't got a Roland so can't help that much. But I read your post and wondered what you might make of this.

It's bothering me because it's a slight thing that was once a bit more more raw and substantial, and complicated. But the simplicity of the music rubbed against that, and so I scrubbed most of the lyrical and musical nuance off at the weekend to leave it more bubblegum, and now I'm a bit concerned that it'll just be like some sort of stalker paean. So I thought you might have a thought, and I also thought other people in this topic might also have an opinion that's not entirely driven by concerns other than 'is this a piece of music I'd listen to'.

Meh. I dunno. I don't even like to post video grabs of videogames these days in case some fuckwit alt right gamergater gets the wrong idea and thinks I'm his mate and it's all those feminists' fault. So maybe fuck this shit anyway.

(Quite apart from it being obviously unfinished in many ways.)

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Hey, I was looking for some more synthy help.

Using my roland synth, I've been trying to make a lo-fi spooky electric organ sound like in this song -

Everything I'm coming up with is a bit useless. Have you got any idea of which sort of waveforms I might need to use to create something like that? I've tried keeping it simple and making it complicated but I'm not getting anywhere. I didn't think filters would be much of an issue but maybe they are?

Failing that, any idea what that kind of organ would be called so I can find someone else's synthmaster preset?

A (real) organ is usually created with an additive synth made up of sine waves of different timbres (thats what the draw bars alter - in steps of feet 8, 16, etc). So you add lots of partial sine wave. Synthmaster does additive so maybe use that on OSC1 with sine waves.

However this has an 8 bit quality - which is usually a square wave. So i think you need to explore that as well on OSC2.

Theres also (two) notes being played. One about an octave lower (or he has a second OSC playing an octave lower).

If theres any modulation i reckon its very subtle but its not "pure" waveforms. Maybe the second OSC has some waveform manipulation. hard to say.

Thanks for your suggestions guys! Took a stab at it last night. While I haven't been able to get quite what I was looking for, the information was useful and helpful.

On 01/09/2019 at 23:25, Gorf King said:

Sorry @chris on the moon, I haven't got a Roland so can't help that much. But I read your post and wondered what you might make of this.

It's bothering me because it's a slight thing that was once a bit more more raw and substantial, and complicated. But the simplicity of the music rubbed against that, and so I scrubbed most of the lyrical and musical nuance off at the weekend to leave it more bubblegum, and now I'm a bit concerned that it'll just be like some sort of stalker paean. So I thought you might have a thought, and I also thought other people in this topic might also have an opinion that's not entirely driven by concerns other than 'is this a piece of music I'd listen to'.

Meh. I dunno. I don't even like to post video grabs of videogames these days in case some fuckwit alt right gamergater gets the wrong idea and thinks I'm his mate and it's all those feminists' fault. So maybe fuck this shit anyway.

The gorf king, I am delighted that you're making music again! Thematically it reminds me of the Pixies song "Make believe" . I think you could afford to make it more serious - that would make it sillier. Or you could just make it sillier. Something to bear in mind when finishing the lyrics? I understand where you're coming from though, I have an older song that I feel is a bit of an irony failure. But then even if someone misunderstands you, you can keep talking and correct them. If they're listening.

This is great! Very BMX Bandits/C86/Glasgow indie mid 90s scene. 

I think this is great - but I’m a sucker for your sound as you know.

I couldn’t make out all the lyrics which I guess is because you haven’t finished it - finish it please!

Thanks lads, but on reflection I don't think I'll ever be happy with that one, whether I polish it, unpolish it, or just leave it as it is. I dunno, I'm just not happy with any music these days. Unless I've not made it.

Having an emormously good time live playing with a little modular rack with some analogue drums and a bassline. I just need more hands to get a bit more variation :)

• Upvote 2

When you say "little", how small are we talking? Also, needing more hands sounds like code for more modules :lol:

I've been messing about with this recently but I'm just not sure where to go with it from here.

• Upvote 1

Very filmic

I went the duplo route and got an already populated rack, the Erica Synths techno system. It’s a kind of a 909 made out of bits, a bass module, mixers, a couple of fx and a sequencer. I’m finding the amount of options for hooking things up a little overwhelming with the modules I’ve got already. :)

On 03/11/2019 at 14:46, Blunted said:

Really liking Micro @maryliddon. Techno System at work?

I was inspired by all the Blade Runner memes going around to make this.

Brillant mate. Some great sounds in there.

• Upvote 1

Done did a thing using my new NDLR. I think it would be the perfect soundtrack to the journey to a jewel heist. Alternatively, it's just nice to relax to.

Do we not have a monthly music thing anymore (write something on a theme)? 

Been several years since I last followed an idea through to being a finished song, so looking for stimulus!

22 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Some of us are doing the 52 tracks a year thing and barely making that!

It kinda died off a bit.

Oh wow. If I get to the end of just one project I'll be winning.