Jump to content

The 3D Thread


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

 

I really like the guy that did it. In the first video I was worried he was going to be a bit 'try hard-y' but as it went on he came across quite well I thought. I need to do the coffee now but have drifted back to Unity for a bit and will do it in a bit I hope. The donut looks better on my phone screen it seems (and the original render), the sprinkles look shit there.

Apparently its a meme among the Blender community, not in a bad way but sort of a rite of passage thing. I need to start Unity but trying to learn Blender still, I at least want to make a game even if its crap to know I can do it

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yakumo said:

Apparently its a meme among the Blender community, not in a bad way but sort of a rite of passage thing. I need to start Unity but trying to learn Blender still, I at least want to make a game even if its crap to know I can do it

 

Yeah, there's a subreddit dedicated to it :lol:

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlenderDoughnuts/

 

Sounds like we have similar goals! I started coding maybe 23 years ago but stopped after 2 (still regret it!) and as I mentioned upthread, did some (3D) modelling and stopped that too. At the moment I would like to just make *something* and have had a few more ideas over the last week whilst getting back into it :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2021 at 23:09, Chindie said:

 

 

So I've then spent a bit of time tonight looking for tutorials and so on (again) to do this kinda thing in Blender. And you get things like a guy making an entire armoured warrior from scratch on what looks like fairly simple steps in an hour (albeit sped up a lot) and get demoralised all over again because i don't seem to get it somehow.

 

Sorry for the meaningless rant. I'm fucking frustrated at a lot of things at the moment and not progressing on this again has put the tin hat on it.

Hey man, I get demoralised too as I want to get good, and despite watching tutorials it doesn't end up looking like the tutorial, or its just a janky mess. Remember these are Pros, who have years under their belt, they have struggled and have felt the same way we do at some time. Its not suddenly you can watch a tutorial and then become good, even then completing a tutorial isn't enough and its best to do the tutorial a few times more until the concepts and skills sink in. Don't give up, but stuff like 3D and any arts its all about the grind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

 

Yeah, there's a subreddit dedicated to it :lol:

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlenderDoughnuts/

 

Sounds like we have similar goals! I started coding maybe 23 years ago but stopped after 2 (still regret it!) and as I mentioned upthread, did some (3D) modelling and stopped that too. At the moment I would like to just make *something* and have had a few more ideas over the last week whilst getting back into it :) 

Amazing, thanks for the link.

 

Yeah I'm not working at the moment so decided to learn 3D because I wasn't getting anywhere with 2D art. I wish I learnt it sooner though, but I always wanted to make a game but the whole coding aspect scares me. However, going to try and attempt to make something but I think I need to lower my expectations doing so. Can't wait to hear or look at what you make though. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Hey man, I get demoralised too as I want to get good, and despite watching tutorials it doesn't end up looking like the tutorial, or its just a janky mess. Remember these are Pros, who have years under their belt, they have struggled and have felt the same way we do at some time. Its not suddenly you can watch a tutorial and then become good, even then completing a tutorial isn't enough and its best to do the tutorial a few times more until the concepts and skills sink in. Don't give up, but stuff like 3D and any arts its all about the grind.

Thanks.

 

At the moment I've been really struggling with a lot of things and the lack of progress on something I to want to do just beyond my resolve. I'm planning on commitibg a good chunk of tomorrow to following a tutorial and seeing where that takes me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Thanks.

 

At the moment I've been really struggling with a lot of things and the lack of progress on something I to want to do just beyond my resolve. I'm planning on commitibg a good chunk of tomorrow to following a tutorial and seeing where that takes me.

Think of it as learning a musical instrument. You're not going to get good after one week unless you're some savant but many hours, years of practise. Like you, I'm rushing to see results without putting in the grind and I get jaded and depressed. However, many of these people who do these tutorials have years on their back doing this stuff, it wasn't like they suddenly got good. So stick to it, try and narrow down to going through one tutorial as there's so many on youtube it becomes overwhelming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah for reference, I posted the building I made a few weeks ago. I’ve been doing 3D for about two years and that model took me about a month still. It’s a lot of work and I still feel that everything I make looks terrible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I can say I've made a doughnut. It wasn't bad.

 

I'm going to try the anvil and probably furniture tutorials next as the modelling is what I want to work on, that is what I need for the 3d printing work I'm trying to do. That and some digging into displacement texturing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Well, I can say I've made a doughnut. It wasn't bad.

 

I'm going to try the anvil and probably furniture tutorials next as the modelling is what I want to work on, that is what I need for the 3d printing work I'm trying to do. That and some digging into displacement texturing.

 

Is it THE blender donut?

 

I still haven't done the coffee yet...

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

 

Is it THE blender donut?

 

I still haven't done the coffee yet...

 

It is the doughnut. I've got an image somewhere, will upload tomorrow (as if anyone cares).

 

I'm tempted to do the coffee cup for the modelling experience but as said, a lot of of the tutorial beyond that isn't something I'll find useful. Might be interesting but not what I'm looking to learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

 

It is the doughnut. I've got an image somewhere, will upload tomorrow (as if anyone cares).

 

I'm tempted to do the coffee cup for the modelling experience but as said, a lot of of the tutorial beyond that isn't something I'll find useful. Might be interesting but not what I'm looking to learn.

 

I watched the next few videos and there are a number of techniques etc that look useful. You might know it already though? I'd be interested to see your donut :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

 

I watched the next few videos and there are a number of techniques etc that look useful. You might know it already though? I'd be interested to see your donut :huh:

 

Yeah its the fundamentals, I wouldn't skip them as there's lots of techniques and advice which is worth learning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently got back into Blender again, after tinkering with it on and off a couple of years ago. My background is in print production, so I've been experimenting with using it to visualise print finishes such as spot varnish and foil blocking.

 

Spot varnish on magazine masthead:

 

mag_05.thumb.png.c1a374cedae1153926a7ea92b65d9aa0.png

 

I messed up a little on the UV alignment – those blue pixels on the spine aren't meant to be there. I still find UV mapping a bit of a dark art, but I'm slowly getting to grips with it. I'm quite pleased with the subtle bumpiness of the varnish surface – it's just done by using a noise shader plugged into a bump shader. The wooden table surface is one of the poliigon.com free ones.

 

Edge of magazine:

 

mag_03.thumb.png.974953820a936d402747bd8cb4e8e6d4.png  

 

The first couple of tests I did looked really fake because the magazine model was just a flat cube. For this one, I made the cover a separate object with a little thickness, subdivided it to add geometry, then used proportional editing to drag individual bits of it up and down to give the waviness to the cover. The colours applied to edges of the magazine are actually accurate for the magazine – I made PNGs of each page of the Indesign document, then took a one pixel strip from the edge of each page and assembled them into  final images to map onto the sides. Probably overkill, but attempts to fake it ended up looking rubbish. There's also a bump map applied to try and give the page edges some slight definition, but I don't think you can tell.

 

Here's the other edge, showing the spine:

 

mag_04.thumb.png.1efa150dbb2bc8919f95f0981f2bb63d.png

 

Again, there are some slight issues with the UV mapping, around the bridge illustration. The area to the left of the crease ended up being a separate UV map when I didn't want it to be and the two don't line up quite right. I might have another go it unwrapping it at some point when I know what I'm doing. The crease itself is actually geometry rather than a bump map, and I think it added more complexity than was needed.

 

Different lighting, also showing some of the varnish effect, and the wavy edges to the cover:

 

mag_01.thumb.png.311432332df12da553cbbc5b5d8d1ed4.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the easiest way of doing decent lighting with minimum effort is to use HDRI environment maps. 

 

Basically, go to the World Properties tab and click New to add a new Shader:

 

1376132103_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_22_44.png.696a351962fa09001875e4370441af00.png

 

Press the yellow blob next to 'Color' and choose 'Environment Texture' from the pop-up:

 

564168870_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_22_57.png.ab8d1a391396b5f077059cfc93ebf6fa.png

 

Click 'Open' and choose your HDRI. This will create a Node Group for the World shader:

 

1680669749_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_23_37.png.aaa77bc5a9ad78af244ea5da31b85375.png

 

840042702_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_23_41.png.dfce548fd1722c5b193b9313e05fdd06.png

 

(You'll need to switch the Shader Editor display to World rather than Object).

 

You can rotate the HDRI to make sure the light is coming from the direction you want: Add in a Texture Coordinate node and a vector Mapping node, then adjust the Z rotation to spin the HDRI around.

 

1612873842_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_24_19.thumb.png.4ce99a4b0e48396d49383f1a1b6cbaaa.png

 

I did also add in a Spotlight to some of the renders to highlight the Spot varnish area on the magazine, but I'm afraid I've since deleted it and can't remember what settings I used. I seem to remember I had to ramp the power up to about 700w (the default is 10w) to get a decent illumination, probably because the HDRI is simulating being outside. I added a Tracking Constraint to the spotlight, tracked to an Empty axis, so that I could easily control where it aimed by moving the Empty.

 

If you want decent, free HDRIs then hdrihaven.com has loads.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Professor Rob said:

I find the easiest way of doing decent lighting with minimum effort is to use HDRI environment maps. 

 

Basically, go to the World Properties tab and click New to add a new Shader:

 

1376132103_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_22_44.png.696a351962fa09001875e4370441af00.png

 

Press the yellow blob next to 'Color' and choose 'Environment Texture' from the pop-up:

 

564168870_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_22_57.png.ab8d1a391396b5f077059cfc93ebf6fa.png

 

Click 'Open' and choose your HDRI. This will create a Node Group for the World shader:

 

1680669749_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_23_37.png.aaa77bc5a9ad78af244ea5da31b85375.png

 

840042702_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_23_41.png.dfce548fd1722c5b193b9313e05fdd06.png

 

(You'll need to switch the Shader Editor display to World rather than Object).

 

You can rotate the HDRI to make sure the light is coming from the direction you want: Add in a Texture Coordinate node and a vector Mapping node, then adjust the Z rotation to spin the HDRI around.

 

1612873842_Screenshot2021-02-23at16_24_19.thumb.png.4ce99a4b0e48396d49383f1a1b6cbaaa.png

 

I did also add in a Spotlight to some of the renders to highlight the Spot varnish area on the magazine, but I'm afraid I've since deleted it and can't remember what settings I used. I seem to remember I had to ramp the power up to about 700w (the default is 10w) to get a decent illumination, probably because the HDRI is simulating being outside. I added a Tracking Constraint to the spotlight, tracked to an Empty axis, so that I could easily control where it aimed by moving the Empty.

 

If you want decent, free HDRIs then hdrihaven.com has loads.

 

 

 

 

Thanks for going in depth:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.