Bojangle

The Random WoW Thread

I caved. Reached Danzalar (or whatever the embassy is called) and decided to stay to gain kings favour. Then I went to bed.

The necklace thing looks annoying. If you pick a trait on a armor piece...is it locked to that forever?

It has the same cost method as respeccing back in the day. It increases each time you do it (globally, not just for that one armour piece) and resets after a few days (I think). The vendor is in the transmog area of your new capital city. 

1 hour ago, Radish said:

It has the same cost method as respeccing back in the day. It increases each time you do it (globally, not just for that one armour piece) and resets after a few days (I think). The vendor is in the transmog area of your new capital city. 

Ah havent found that yet. Is the Embassy the capital city? It only seems to have cook and inscriptions trainers right now!

Zandalar oddly feels like the worst of the new zones so far, very introductory feeling in quests.

Also, hit 120 before I started it. Well at least I'll be getting lots of gold here instead.

I'm not sure why they bother with character levels anymore, people have always blasted through the content to reach level cap but they seem to have made that easier with this expansion. I'm not one for grinding but the character levels only seem relevant for gatekeeping content perhaps made more obvious by the quest tracker.

Not getting anything from leveling is the sourest point there. No talent points or something like that from 100 onwards just feels bad at the moment. Though of course the modern leveling design has also resulted in no feeling of getting stronger.

I think tying end game content (world quests) behind 'do all zones quests' hurts alts a lot. No freedom.

I don't know what they are tied behind, but it's definitely not a case of having to do all the zone quests. I barely touched Zuldazar and still had loads of WQs pop up when I was 120. 

I like the questing, and I'm enjoying taking the time to read all the quest text as I do them. Levelling through new content doesn't feel like a chore to me, it's all part of the fun of wow :)

35 minutes ago, Radish said:

I don't know what they are tied behind, but it's definitely not a case of having to do all the zone quests. I barely touched Zuldazar and still had loads of WQs pop up when I was 120. 

Friendly with all the main factions, so not 100% questing, but still a fair bit.

The questline that opens for completing all 3 zones redeemed Zandalar for me, though it ends in such a way that's so...you know, guys, a beam just hit, what happened?

Safe to say this has not been as good as Legion questing as far as an overarching quest arc goes (like I mentioned at the time, loved the idea of collecting titan mcguffins to put in dalarans room), but certainly not that worse either. It's just going for something completely different.

It's symbolic. You spend your time trying to prevent gates from falling only to be gated yourself!

Spoiler

Ok. What they fail to explain in game is that the big temple in the middle of Nazmir is a prison. It's triangular.

The three faces point to:

- The temple in Voldun, where the troll revives the tentacle warrior.

-The temple near the beach in Nazmir. The titan keeper chain. (underwhelming boss fight, this)

-The horde base.

These are the seals/locks/gates that keep the prison intact. Now that they're all damaged, G'huun is now free. Free in the sense that he'll die when they release the raid on the 5th.

Grinded the ghost moose (archeology) after hearing it only appears twice a year. Those are 2 to 3 hours I won't get back. 

I've reached 120 approximately a third the way through my 3rd zone. I've done no questing on the alliance continent and have a shed load left to do in the desert zone.

It felt like there was no scaling in the required level experience, like it took just as long to do level 110-111 as 119-120.

Also the city zone felt like the best story, Nazimr felt like a lot of kill 20 things and the desert one I haven't finished but feels like a bunch of smaller stories.

Was feeling disappointed by the dungeons until I hit the alliance ones, some great ones there. Though still sad in a sense that dungeons haven't evolved. Not that they need new mechanics necessarily, but just a general feeling of been there, done that.

Still. Spooky mansion. Great stuff. And perhaps more importantly, haven't seen them in their heroic and mythic forms yet.

Problem with that of course, is wishing I could go in blind, rather then there having been 2 other difficulties beforehand. Ah well.

Also to my earlier complaint: seems World Quests on alts actually open straight away if they're already open on another character. Good.

Dinged 120 before finishing second zone.

Zandular was a nice zone but Nazmir and Vuldan both lacklustre.

Not sure about expeditions - seems a clusterchuff rather than controlled race.

Dungeons have all been ok (normal) - but don’t like going into 3 of them with no idea/lead up or sense of place in the world. Not sure splitting the zones up will pay off long run. 

The War campaign (so far) is pretty poor as well. Between that and questing No sense of momentum or ongoing conflict. That might change as Warfront/Raids unlock  - but it’s something Legion did much better. 

Arcane mage is sooooo pretty now though!

21 hours ago, Hexx said:

Dinged 120 before finishing second zone.

Zandular was a nice zone but Nazmir and Vuldan both lacklustre.

Not sure about expeditions - seems a clusterchuff rather than controlled race.

Dungeons have all been ok (normal) - but don’t like going into 3 of them with no idea/lead up or sense of place in the world. Not sure splitting the zones up will pay off long run. 

The War campaign (so far) is pretty poor as well. Between that and questing No sense of momentum or ongoing conflict. That might change as Warfront/Raids unlock  - but it’s something Legion did much better. 

Arcane mage is sooooo pretty now though!

Feeling a lot of the stuff posted here. There's something "off" about the leveling in this expansion. It's like we've gone back in time and ended up with a leveling experience somewhere between wrath and cata. 

Started off with the desert zone, and quite honestly, I couldn't tell you what was going on by 75% of the way. It just felt like a load of disjointed quest hubs, with no pace, no build up, and eventually meeting up with the people I entered the zone with. Fumbled about with them, and then suddenly an event that in lore terms is pretty major, but is treated with the reverence of your typical named quest mob. And then the dungeon that follows on from that doesn't seem to reference any of this stuff at all, to the point where I finished the last boss unknowingly (Such a weird fight to have as a 5 man. Heal the boss fights are always strange and unsatisfying).

Similar complaints with what I've done so far in the capital as well, just seemingly out of no where they...

Spoiler

Stab the king in the back. No build up, no tension, just a quick stab followed by us running away

117 on my main so far (Brewmaster) and decided to run with a DH as my alt. I just can't stand the pate wearers any more, they feel so slow and plodding after playing these two classes. Prot Warrior feels like crap, and whoever came up with devastator as a talent needs a good talking to.

Draenor is still a mess, the AH is neigh unusable, communities aren't what they could have been (You can't right click a name and invite them to your group), and the lag is still very much present.

I know I might sound very down on the game, but as my number one game of all time, I hold it to some very unrealistic expectation, which I'm very aware of. It's "fine", it's no WoD, I can see a lot of end game even though I've not touched any of it yet. It's just, meh, it could be a lot more. The niggling voice at the back of my head keeps saying the same thing, and I can't silence that...

"This expansion really feels rushed."

Worgen are vermin, and Night Elves are incompetent dicks. I regret nothing.

I do have whiplash going from arguably the best expansion since Wrath to a strong contender for the worst - I dislike pretty much everything they’ve shown and done so far. Story, class mechanics, loss of artifacts, loss of individual class sets (by all means scrap the bonuses), the handling of the allied races...

..the hilarious Alliance tears about their lame tree have been the sole positive note for me so far.

The story is fine/okay-ish, the zones and music are beautiful and the quests are fun as ever but everything is disgustingly drawn out and stingy to an offensive degree. Stingy treasures, stingy rare mobs, stingy rep, stingy dungeons. It screams “OHMIGOD WE DON’T HAVE ENOUGH CONTENT, SET EVERYTHING TO MAXIMUM DRAG”. And I don’t believe anyone can possibly defend the way they’ve stripped out all the cool and fun artifact abilities and effects and made players slog through 10 levels with absolutely nothing to show for it. No new skills, no new passives, no new talent row. All you get is weaker (that 116+ wall is a slog and a half). 

Legion was so good, the order halls were a lovely idea, artifacts were great, not having to worry about weapon drops was a blessing, M+ was a great addition, and Gul’dan and Keith’Jaeden were quality antagonists. BfA has taken lots away and brought nothing new except expeditions to the table, which are just godawful rando scenarios 2.0. It’s only been a week so of course there’s time to improve but the way it feels right now? I’m thinking good time for a break and play Spider-Man and Red Dead 2, and come back in a couple of years for whatever Blizzard’s A-Team have been working on because this really feels like something cooked up by the B-Team.

Nice surprise to see some extra quests and plot once I hit Revered with one of the new factions. Hope they all have a little more to squeeze out.

On 22/08/2018 at 21:01, Joystick Chevron said:

strong contender for the worst

Now come on, that's more than slightly hyperbolic. For the initial launch of an expansion, I'd say this is better than wrath, and probably on par with MoP. Wrath was an absolute joke until Ulduar launched, its first raid could be cleared in leveling greens, and the second was a bloody vehicle mechanic that was just downright confusing. MoP was just dailies, dungeons were pointless and piss easy, scenarios just weren't fun (and they never were! The rewards just got better).

Actually, going to change my tone. As an initial patch, this is better than:

Wrath

Cata (Dungeons were fun, but that was about it)

MoP

WoD

Below legion, where my problems stemmed with how easy EN was because they didn't realise how geared we would be from M+. Below TBC, because as bugged as that game was on release, It was a hell of a long time until I finally finished BT and there was so much to do. And I don't actually have an opinion for vanilla's launch, because I played so damn casually back then that I can only go off the leveling experience.

I've had some harsh criticisms about this expansion a few posts up, but that's all to do with the structure of the questing and how disjointed it all felt. Which was great to hear them address in the recent Q&A. I still personally feel its a step back from legion questing, and undoubtedly the class design is a step back as well in *most* cases. But the endgame situation is fine right now. We're about to add M+ and raids into the mix, as well as the lootbox that is warfronts. Island expeditions are.. ok. There's room for improvement for them, and with a few tweeks the PvP version could be the best PvP mode in the game. But as a foundation for the rest of the game to come over the next 2 years, I think BfA is pretty solid right now.

Release content-wise only TBC beats BFA, and that's due to dungeons being behind keys and attunrments back then. Something I wish was still a thing versus the literal time gating they have now. Infinitely scaling dungeon/raid difficulty is not content in my eyes.

Server stability-wise, BFA wins. But I wasn't around for WOD and Legions launches.

• Upvote 1

BfA has probably been my favourite expansion since WotLK (TBC and WotLK were my favourites purely because that's when I was most invested).

Currently sat at ilvl 323 and going to attempt some mythics over the weekend in preparation for the PvP season starting at the start of September. I need to find way more haste gear to stack.

• Upvote 2